Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rethink our Budget?
Bookmark and Share
NIU8110 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
Rethink our Budget?
An interesting stat would also be what the requirements/tuition per mac program. I think most would agree that our academic facilities and dorms could use a overhaul. (Thank god we are starting to upgrade our athletic facilities with the convo/yordon/track and field facility/new turf for football field)

What we need next is an upgrade to our football stands and an IPF.

NIU has always stood for a good education that is affordable, but how does this effect our athetlics budget? I think most would accept a $100 increase per semester in tuition if the majority of it went towards our athetlics. This could bring up to $2.4 million more per semester.

If our tuition cost is low in comparison to the other upper tier mac programs, wouldnt this increase be worth it to our future students who will get to see a much more competitive product on the field? Or is the $100 too much, and would rather settle for mediocracy?
11-27-2009 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUGAHuskie Offline
1st String

RE: Rethink our Budget?
The Northern Star would go f*cking apesh!t if there were a proposed athletic fee increase.
11-27-2009 05:34 PM
NIU8110 Offline
2nd String

So they would rather bash athetlics after every big loss and low attendence like they have been doing the last 4 years? Id take some big wins, better facilities, better athletes for an extra $100 anyday.

If they wana go apesh*t over something that would help the athetlic programs, why keep complainin about how bad it is? Sure lets all get pissed off because we wana be better than mediocre for once in our 4 years at NIU.

If thats what it comes down to, no wonder we dont have much fan support.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2009 06:06 PM by NIU8110.)
11-27-2009 06:03 PM
NIU8110 Offline
2nd String

Tuition on Campus In state/Out of State:

Ball State- $6,736/ $17,804
Bowling Green- $7,778/ $14,772
Central Michigan- $9,120/ $21,210
Eastern Michigan- $6,390/ $18,825
Kent State- $8,430/ $15,862
Miami Ohio- $8,443/ $22,270
Northern Illinois- $6,150/ $12,300 <---------- LOWEST of all MAC
Ohio $8,907/ $17,871
SUNY at Buffalo $7,013/ $17,913
Temple $10,252/$18,770
Akron $7,218/ $16,467
Toledo $6,815/ $15,627
Western Michigan $6,570/ $16,116

http://www.stateuniversity.com/universit...rsity.html

We are the lowest of all MAC schools by $240 (For In State) (2nd Lowest is Eastern MI)
Central Michigan is nearly $3,000 more than us - "who has been out-recruiting us"
And your telling me we cant raise our tution fees $100?

These numbers may be skewed with different fees or sources, post a different link if you find different information
11-27-2009 06:41 PM
Nigel Incubator-Jones Offline
All American

I Root For: Ricky Bobby
There is a snowball's chance in hell that NIU is going to put through an increase in athletic fees. There would be a march on Farraday Hall with pitchforks and torches.
11-27-2009 07:23 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
In difficult economic times like now, I don't think this would pass, but something to definitely think about for the future.
11-27-2009 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(11-27-2009 07:23 PM)Nigel Incubator-Jones Wrote:  There is a snowball's chance in hell that NIU is going to put through an increase in athletic fees. There would be a march on Farraday Hall with pitchforks and torches.

Is the Chemistry department in charge of settting athletic fees now?
11-27-2009 07:40 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
(11-27-2009 07:40 PM)HuskieBowWow Wrote:  
(11-27-2009 07:23 PM)Nigel Incubator-Jones Wrote:  There is a snowball's chance in hell that NIU is going to put through an increase in athletic fees. There would be a march on Farraday Hall with pitchforks and torches.

Is the Chemistry department in charge of settting athletic fees now?
03-lmfao
11-27-2009 08:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU8110 Offline
2nd String

I think of it in business terms. If your MAC competition is selling their product for $3,000 (CMU) more than you, and the closest competitor to you is still 240 more (EMU) why not gain some ground with athetlics while still keeping your tuition cost lower than the rest? ---If this source is truely accurate

No one will march anywhere because the tuition increase wouldnt be implemented with current students, only incoming ones. No one currently enrolled would be effected by it, except for watching a better product on the field. $100 can be made working less than 20 hours at McDonalds. Whoopdy freakin doo. If you worked during the 6 home football games instead of going to watch them, you already made that money.
11-27-2009 08:16 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Not a likely nor popular administrative move anytime soon in a down economy and so many families struggling or living on the edge with less breadwinners in some households and good paying jobs in Illinois shrinking monthly.

Thanx for MAC stats - most revealing.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2009 01:45 AM by cyberdawg.)
11-28-2009 01:39 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
A great idea.
Hope it will pass.

Regarding cost of attending games, how much does our AD get from the ticket receipts?
Are we paying our AD too much?
Having an NIU fan get together at an alumns house or bar and everyone pitch in $10 would raise atleast $10 000 directly and increase tv viewership.

Why does CMU consistently outrecruit us?
Are we losing Chicago players to other MAC schools in large numbers?
11-28-2009 02:04 AM
Advertisement

All American

NIU has never been about athletics. Never. The equation changed (sorta) under the current administration of John Peters. But make no mistake the forces who are anti-athletics and/or focused strictly on the academic mission of NIU remain very powerful. And just as soon as Peters retires, then you can bet the ranch that athletics will be re-prioritized even lower by his successor and the powers that run NIU.

It's been this way in DeKalb since at least the 1980's. And it isn't going to change, no matter all the eloquent speeches about football success being the front porch to a university, blah blah blah. Bottom line NIU exists in the minds of most (or at least those who control things to large extent) as a regional public university with the mission of educating the middle class and lower class youth of northern Illinois.
11-28-2009 08:43 AM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh

why would they march on the Chem building?
12-01-2009 02:28 PM
NIUHuskie4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU & WMU
(11-28-2009 08:43 AM)Nigel Incubator-Jones Wrote:  NIU has never been about athletics. Never. The equation changed (sorta) under the current administration of John Peters. But make no mistake the forces who are anti-athletics and/or focused strictly on the academic mission of NIU remain very powerful. And just as soon as Peters retires, then you can bet the ranch that athletics will be re-prioritized even lower by his successor and the powers that run NIU.

It's been this way in DeKalb since at least the 1980's. And it isn't going to change, no matter all the eloquent speeches about football success being the front porch to a university, blah blah blah. Bottom line NIU exists in the minds of most (or at least those who control things to large extent) as a regional public university with the mission of educating the middle class and lower class youth of northern Illinois.

Sure it was these "forces" that were the root of the poor NIU athletic performance or the fact that NIU switched conferences 2 or 3 times since the 80s?
12-01-2009 02:35 PM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
(11-28-2009 02:04 AM)sterling1man Wrote:  A great idea.
Hope it will pass.

Regarding cost of attending games, how much does our AD get from the ticket receipts?
Are we paying our AD too much?
Having an NIU fan get together at an alumns house or bar and everyone pitch in $10 would raise atleast $10 000 directly and increase tv viewership.

Why does CMU consistently outrecruit us?
Are we losing Chicago players to other MAC schools in large numbers?

So exactly how many times have you sent in a $10 watch fee?
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2009 02:54 PM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
12-01-2009 02:49 PM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
(11-28-2009 08:43 AM)Nigel Incubator-Jones Wrote:  NIU has never been about athletics. Never. The equation changed (sorta) under the current administration of John Peters. But make no mistake the forces who are anti-athletics and/or focused strictly on the academic mission of NIU remain very powerful. And just as soon as Peters retires, then you can bet the ranch that athletics will be re-prioritized even lower by his successor and the powers that run NIU.

Who are "those who control things"? Specific names please, not titles of those who see NIU as a "regional public university with the mission of educating the middle class and lower class youth of northern Illinois" and are "anti-athletics".
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2009 02:57 PM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
12-01-2009 02:53 PM
Advertisement

All American

The day NIU institutes an increase in student fees directed to NIU athletics will be the day the earth freezes over. Way too many of you delusional doorknobs and drool monkeys have convinced yourselves that NIU is a primetime athletic school with wholesale commitment to football at all levels.

You need to lay off the crack. You went to or are currently attending the wrong damned school if you think the NIU administration and its student body have a passion, collectively speaking, for athletic success.
12-01-2009 02:56 PM
NIUHuskie4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU & WMU
(12-01-2009 02:53 PM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  

Who are "those who control things"? Specific names please, not titles of those who see NIU as a regional public university with the mission of educating the middle class and lower class youth of northern Illinois and are anti-athletics.

don't expect a coherent answer anytime soon 03-zzz
12-01-2009 02:56 PM
CowboysNiuFan31245 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys & NIU
(12-01-2009 02:56 PM)Nigel Incubator-Jones Wrote:  The day NIU institutes an increase in student fees directed to NIU athletics will be the day the earth freezes over. Way too many of you delusional doorknobs and drool monkeys have convinced yourselves that NIU is a primetime athletic school with wholesale commitment to football at all levels.

You need to lay off the crack. You went to or are currently attending the wrong damned school if you think the NIU administration and its student body have a passion, collectively speaking, for athletic success.

As you would say GO POUND SAND!
12-01-2009 03:01 PM
COHUSKIE Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU/ColoState

Yea Yea, that is what happened at UCLA and it passed anyway. Higher education is not a right. NIU needs to do what it has to do and they should raise tuition particularly out of state tuition to get more in line with the mid to upper third. Those who do not want to pay do not have to go to NIU. It's not a right.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2009 03:33 PM by COHUSKIE.)
12-01-2009 03:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.