2010-11 MBB Early Signees
Bookmark and Share
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
2010-11 MBB Early Signees
Martell Jackson 6-9 225 C Jr Denver, Colo
Eric Griffin 6-8 195 F Jr Orlando, Fla
Anthony Horton 6-8 215 F Fr Houston, Texas

Jackson and Griffin are teammates this year at Garden City CC (Kansas).

HoopsScoop ranks this class first in the A-Sun and 84th best in the nation (out of 347 D-I schools...not bad at all).

Another scholarship to give this spring.
11-19-2009 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

camelfan Offline
Special Teams

RE: 2010-11 MBB Early Signees
Thanks for the info. I think things are looking up for us. We should have a good year this year and then bring in some new talent to replace three starters that will be graduating this year.

All three seem to have some good size compared to what we will be losing.

We will need a good center to help Preston and Chris out next year. I am glad Chris Reynolds had a pretty good game against ECU. He really stepped in and played well in the game, especially near the end when Preston and Kyle fouled out.
11-20-2009 12:26 AM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
Garden City CC is a big time juco usually. That sounds like a great class....unfortunately
11-23-2009 09:59 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

The list of newcomers is now complete. Looks impressive. Let's hope they can win conference tournament games!

Anthony Dees G Fr. 6-4 180 Los Angeles, Calif. / Dorsey HS
Rico Ferguson G Fr. 6-2 185 Richmond, Va. / Heat Academy (Martinsville, Va.) / Bird HS
Eric Griffin F Jr. 6-8 190 Orlando, Fla. / Garden City (Kan.) CC / Boone HS
Marvelle Harris F Fr. 6-6 210 Macon, Ga. / Heat Academy (Martinsville, Va.) / Northeast HS
Anthony Horton F Fr. 6-8 210 League City, Texas / Clear Springs HS
Martell Jackson C Jr. 6-10 265 Brighton, Colo. / Garden City (Kan.) CC / Brighton HS

From the GoCamels.com release..

"Collectively, this group of spring signees addresses our pressing style of play and the need to supplement our experience in the back court and on the perimeter"

"In the early recruitment period, we addressed our front line needs, and took the spring period to add to our guards and wing players. All three of these young men are extremely athletic and long with a lot of pop, and should fit nicely into the pressure and multiple defense style we've adopted over the last couple of years."

Ferguson and Harris led Heat Academy to a 33-4 record during the 2009-10 season and were two of six Division I signees on a squad that was rated as the number-three prep school team in the country.

Ferguson averaged 12.1 points, 5.2 assists and 3.3 steals per game at Heat Academy. He played at Lloyd C. Bird High School in Richmond, Va., and was selected for the South squad in the annual 804 All-Star Game following his senior season in 2009.

A first-team all-conference and All-Dominion district second team choice in '09, the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Ferguson averaged 17.1 points and 6.8 assists as a senior when he was chosen for the Virginia High School All-Star game South roster.

A four-year starter, Ferguson scored more than 1000 points in his high school career and set a school record with 14 assists in one game.

"Rico is a very versatile perimeter player, who can play the one, two or three," said Laing. "He is a tenacious defender and is really good finishing at the hole. He has a competitive spirit similar to what we saw in (2010 grad) Miles Taylor. He's a fighter."

Harris, a 6-foot-7, 210-pound forward, averaged 10.2 points and 8.2 boards per contest at Heat Academy. He played at Northeast High School in Macon, Ga., and with the highly-regarded Atlanta Celtics AAU club and was ranked the 20th-best player in the state of Georgia's class of 2010 by youthprepstar.com.

He was a first-team all-region performer as a freshman, sophomore and junior at Northeast High School, who earned first-team all-state recognition as a junior. Harris led the region in rebounding both as a sophomore (12.0) and junior (13.0) and helped his squad to a play-off berth three times.

Harris started as a freshman, when he averaged 14.5 point, 10 rebounds and four blocks. During his sophomore year, he contributed 10 point, 12 boards and four rejections. As a junior, he chipped in 17 points, 13 rebounds and 6.5 blocks. During his 3-year career, Northeast compiled a 65-10 won-lost record.

"Marvelle is a small/power forward combo, who can play inside-out," said Laing. "He could be a terrific rebounder and electrifying finisher in our fast break system. He is very physical and has great feel around the rim with a developing outside shot."

A 6-foot-3 guard, Dees earned first-team all-city and all-conference honors as a senior at Dorsey High School in Los Angeles. He averaged 20 points, six rebounds and six assists per game and was named to all-tournament teams at the Amare Stoudemire tournament in Las Vegas and the Desert Heat Classic in Palm Springs.

An honor roll student in all four years of high school, Dees also played with the Cal-Supreme club program.

"Anthony is a 6-foot-4 shooter from Los Angeles and could be a taller version of (2009 A-Sun freshman of the year) Lorne Merthie," said Laing. "He is a prolific shooter, whose length should help us defensively in our full court system. He can play either wing and possibly compliment Lorne on the opposite side of our fast break."

During his sophomore season, Griffin shot 57.1 percent from the field and averaged 8.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and blocked 50 shots in 32 games (1.6 per outing) at Garden City Community College. As a freshman, he contributed 16 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per outing at Hiwassee Community College in Tennessee. Griffin, who has grown four inches since high school, hails from Orlando, Fla., where he played for Coach Willie Anderson at Boone High.

During his senior season, Horton was a first-team all-district and all-county selection and named team MVP after averaging 17.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, while leading his school to the Texas 5-A state playoffs for the second-consecutive year. Horton shot 52 percent from the floor, 35 percent from 3-point range and 64 percent from the foul line.

He participated in the Houston Area Basketball Coaches Association All Star Game and was the East team's leading scorer. The all-time leading scorer at Clear Springs, Horton was the first student-athlete to sign a Division I scholarship from the school and was rated the 29th-best player in the Houston area in the class of 2010 by RCSSports.com.

Horton was a first-team all-district 24-5A and all-country selection as a junior at Clear Springs, where he averaged 16.4, 6.7 rebounds points and shot 55 percent from the floor and 75 percent from the foul line for Coach Chris Johnson's Chargers. He tallied a season-high 29 points in a 74-73 win over Flower Mound High School.

Jackson hails from Denver, Colo., where he played for Coach Dan Lliteras at Brighton High School. During his sophomore year at Garden City Community College, Jason chipped in 7.1 points and 4.2 rebounds and shot 51.7 percent from the floor.

As a freshman, Jackson averaged 6.1 points and 2.9 rebounds while shooting 53 percent from the field for the Broncbusters' Region VI Championship team that went 25-13 and finished sixth at the 2009 NJCAA national tournament.

"This entire class is going to allow us to play a lot more aggressive tempo at both ends of the floor," said Laing.
06-21-2010 12:30 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCamel Offline

06-21-2010 12:33 PM
OrangeCamel Offline

Pics of newcomers are now on gocamels.com.....

http://www.gocamels.com/SportSelect.dbml...PSID=65379

Plus, here's a story on late recruit Andrew Ryan...

http://www.rabungap.org/page.cfm?p=6

Laing's quotes regarding Ryan from gocamels.com...

"We're really pleased to have Andrew Ryan join our program because he's such a prolific shooter," said Coach Laing, who is entering his eighth year at Campbell. "Outside shooting was an element I thought we were missing last year. Andrew's a dribble-pass-shoot guy. Not only is he efficient behind the arc, but he gets to the hole, can finish strong and sets up other people off penetration as well."

"There are a lot of coaches out there who feel like we've uncovered a hidden gem this late in the recruiting process. We feel like we got a high quality player by just turning over stones throughout the summer," said Laing. "Andrew has great character, and will be a big factor in the foundation of this program for a long time to come."
08-19-2010 02:08 PM
HHHBigFan Offline
Water Engineer

Can't believe someone picked to wear #3
08-19-2010 04:34 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCamel Offline

(08-19-2010 04:34 PM)HHHBigFan Wrote:  Can't believe someone picked to wear #3

Good observation, hhh. Interesting!
08-20-2010 12:24 PM
Mr. X Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cornell
That is what some would call disrespect to a player who carried the program to where it is today. Trust me that number wasn’t chosen it was given to him. (if that tells you anything about where I believe the disrespect is coming from) There is no reason for someone to be wearing #3. I think the more important question for this year is how many of them will be eligible and whether or not they can stay out trouble for bar fights.
08-25-2010 11:51 AM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

Looks like we have a lot of new players. Rebuilding year in my opinion. It is going to take some time before all these new players get it together.

I agree - Should not have let someone have #3. That number needs to be retired.

Looks like we signed Ryan at the last minute. School had almost started when he signed.
08-28-2010 10:10 AM
Advertisement

andone Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Article on the two new players from heat academy

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/arti...m?ID=24320

Good read. You have to wonder how prepared these kids are for college academics etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...02109.html
09-06-2010 03:15 PM
Mr. X Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cornell
Well I guess we have a new Captain for the basketball team as someone has decided to follow in Matt Gwynn's footsteps.
09-23-2010 03:01 PM
OrangeCamel Offline

(09-23-2010 03:01 PM)Mr. X Wrote:  Well I guess we have a new Captain for the basketball team as someone has decided to follow in Matt Gwynn's footsteps.

hmmm, "Captain"??

No idea what you're referring to, but comparing the rosters on gocamels.com reveals Reynolds is gone and is now at Newberry College....

http://newberryathleticsite.com/article....cleID=5051
09-23-2010 03:42 PM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

Who left?
09-26-2010 09:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.