WKU inks two killer forwards
Bookmark and Share
WKUSledgeHammer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Western KY
WKU inks two killer forwards
WKU Inks Drane, Anyigbo During Early Signing Period
Release: 11/13/2009

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - Western Kentucky University head men's basketball coach Ken McDonald has announced the signing of two incoming freshmen to National Letters of Intent (NLI's) on Friday. Stephon Drane and Kene Anyigbo will enter WKU in the fall of 2010 and have four years of eligibility.

"I am very pleased by the efforts of the assistant coaches with our second true class," said McDonald. "I am pleased with the skill level and athleticism that the two bring. We try to get as many guys with size and skill in our system that will do well. They are terrific kids that do very well in school, and both these guys can play on the perimeter which I am happy about."

Drane is a 6-8, 182-pound forward out of Raleigh, N.C. Rated as the 28th-best power forward in the country by ESPN and Scouts, Inc., Drane played at Word of God Christian Academy before transfering this summer to Garner High School. As a junior this past season, Drane averaged approximately 6.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while playing for a loaded Word of God team that included Kentucky's John Wall.

ESPN Scouts grade Drane at a 91 and write, "Stephon can play for a lot of people at the high-major level because of his athleticism and length. He can guard any position on the court, one through five. This player is a high-major sleeper." Drane chose WKU over heavy interest from Virginia, George Mason, South Carolina, and Missouri State.

Anyigbo is a 6-5, 220-pound forward from Belaire, Texas. Rated as the 82nd-best power forward in the nation according to ESPN and Scouts, Inc., Anyigbo plays for Belaire High School where he guided the Cardinals to an 18-7 record as a junior last season. In earning an ESPN Scouts grade of 87, they write, "Anyigbo is a strong, tough, and phyiscal combination forward that dominates games with his tremendous athletic ability. He finishes with authority above the rim in a variety of ways. "

Anyigbo chose WKU over offers from Houston and Memphis.

"Kene is a very strong kid, he's about 230 already at 6-5," said McDonald. "Stephon has got a little work to do with his body. He's thin, but has very broad shoulders and is very quick. I love the talent level coming in and I think these guys are going to do really good things here."

Fresh off a 90-37 win over Xavier (La.) in its lone exhibition contest of the preseason, WKU will open its 91st season of college basketball on Monday, November 16 in the 25th Dick's Sporting Goods NIT Season Tip-Off. Competing in the South Region, hosted by LSU in Baton Rouge, La., the Hilltoppers will face Wisconsin-Milwaukee at 4:30 PM.
11-13-2009 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
RE: WKU inks two killer forwards
Both of these guys fit the profile we seem to be going after. I can't wait to see a fully loaded, senior laden, spent 4 years learning from McDonald team.
11-14-2009 08:12 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: WKU inks two killer forwards
You guys never have had any trouble getting outstanding talent. Hats off to you.
11-15-2009 02:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.