UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

why are flags at half staff?
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
why are flags at half staff?
anyone know why the flags are flying low today?
02-07-2006 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Coretta Scott King's funeral is today.
02-07-2006 03:14 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

Smaug Wrote:Coretta Scott King's funeral is today.

and...? is she some national hero for being married to MLK?
02-07-2006 03:48 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

dfarr Wrote:
Smaug Wrote:Coretta Scott King's funeral is today.

and...? is she some national hero for being married to MLK?

Apparently, yes.
02-07-2006 04:00 PM
Sarahbelle18 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy Trojans

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans Bowl

Are you guys serious?

Mrs. King was an active civil rights and peace activist and community leader.

She accomplished a lot on her own, especially after her husband's death.
02-07-2006 04:08 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

whats your point? there are community leaders who die everyday. does this mean we have to do the same for jesse jackson when he dies too?
02-07-2006 04:11 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Sarahbelle18 Wrote:Are you guys serious?

Pardon me. I don't believe I did any editorializing.
02-07-2006 04:13 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coretta_Sco...ion_of_MLK

not too many accomplishments here. the biggest is getting me a day off work, eventhough i have had to work on the past 2 MLK days. opposing apartheid is a no brainer. basically her biggest accomplishment was being married to the right man.
02-07-2006 04:23 PM
Sarahbelle18 Offline
1st String

dfarr Wrote:whats your point? there are community leaders who die everyday. does this mean we have to do the same for jesse jackson when he dies too?

I'm sure there will be a big to-do for him too.
02-07-2006 04:28 PM
Sarahbelle18 Offline
1st String

Smaug Wrote:

But you said it was apparent that she is a national hero because of who she was married to.

I wanted to know if you were you being serious?

Seems like a reasonable question.
02-07-2006 04:31 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:whats your point? there are community leaders who die everyday. does this mean we have to do the same for jesse jackson when he dies too?

there shouldnt be, just like there shouldnt be one for mrs. king. it was her husband, not her, who changed america. hell, i'd be more for jesse having one than i am for her having one.
02-07-2006 04:40 PM
Advertisement

Sarahbelle18 Offline
1st String

dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:

there shouldnt be, just like there shouldnt be one for mrs. king. it was her husband, not her, who changed america. hell, i'd be more for jesse having one than i am for her having one.

Does it really bother you that much? Do you honestly feel slighted by seeing a flag at half-mast?

I couldn't care less. It's just a very basic sign of respect...it's nothing to get upset about.
02-07-2006 04:44 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
Smaug Wrote:

But you said it was apparent that she is a national hero because of who she was married to.

I wanted to know if you were you being serious?

Seems like a reasonable question.

My apologies. I misinterpreted dfarr's question. Either that or I stopped reading after "national hero."

Fact is, flags get flown at half staff when the administrator of that property (public or private) orders it. Unless some other luminary (other than, say, Al Lewis) died, and I didn't hear about it, I assumed that the flags were down at the order of the mayor, governor, etc. who deemed it an appropriate thing to do in the remembrance of Ms. King.

Maybe they'll lower them for me or you, one day. And if so, hopefully not soon.
02-07-2006 04:47 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:

Does it really bother you that much? Do you honestly feel slighted by seeing a flag at half-mast?

I couldn't care less. It's just a very basic sign of respect...it's nothing to get upset about.

its pointless. it should be done after a tragedy (9/11) or someone of importance dies (past president, state governor, etc). not the wife of someone important. so when nancy reagan dies will they be flying low too?
02-07-2006 05:02 PM
Sarahbelle18 Offline
1st String

dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:

its pointless. it should be done after a tragedy (9/11) or someone of importance dies (past president, state governor, etc). not the wife of someone important. so when nancy reagan dies will they be flying low too?

I'm sure there will be some that do.
02-07-2006 05:10 PM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators

Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:

My grandfather died in January... no one flew the flag at half mast for him and he did a lot more for me than Mrs King did. He actually impacted the lives of many people but I never dreamed of asking his home town to fly the flag at half mast. I am not trying to be nit picky here but I think that this is crazy. Was she a good person, probably so, but to deserve that flags be flown at half mast? Just playing to the politics in my opinion.
02-07-2006 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sarahbelle18 Offline
1st String

BTR Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:
Sarahbelle18 Wrote:

My grandfather died in January... no one flew the flag at half mast for him and he did a lot more for me than Mrs King did. He actually impacted the lives of many people but I never dreamed of asking his home town to fly the flag at half mast. I am not trying to be nit picky here but I think that this is crazy. Was she a good person, probably so, but to deserve that flags be flown at half mast? Just playing to the politics in my opinion.

If it meant that much to you, you could have approached the council or mayor and told them. I'm sure if your grandfather was as accomplished as you say, they would be happy to oblige.

I still don't see what the big deal is...it's just a simple gesture.
02-07-2006 05:26 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

i know its not a big deal. i just think its stupid to act as if she was some american hero when she wasnt.
02-07-2006 05:44 PM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators

dfarr Wrote:i know its not a big deal. i just think its stupid to act as if she was some american hero when she wasnt.

My point exactly. I would not have never have asked them to fly the flag at half mask for my grandfather. We are not talking about a president or something, we are talking about the wife of a civil rights activist. When Elizabeth Dole dies, do you think that you will see widespread flags at half mask? I don't. I do not think you could say that Mrs King has been any more important than Elizabeth Dole (or you fill in the name).

I think it is stupid.
02-07-2006 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerSax Offline
Banned

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Why are some banks closed for MLK Jr. Day, but not for Veteran's Day?

Things that make you go hmmmm....
02-07-2006 07:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.