Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One of the things that has always been
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
One of the things that has always been
attractive to me about our program is that unlike some programs, our coaches and A.D. were always accessible, and there was a family feeling. You could attend practices, get to know the players, and coaches and feel a real part of the program.

I really hate to see that change. Are we beginning to get so big that we send the message that we really don't need the average fan. If Warren Stephens had wanted to attend the practices this week, would he have been told he couldn't come? I'm not picking on Warren, but just using that as an example. Would Coach Rip be turned away? Somehow I doubt it.

Sure. I enjoy watching the practices. But forget me. When you tell fans like MJS, PTJR, and YNOCPIRP, who have supported this program with their time and money for over 20 years that they can't come out and watch a practice, that doesn't seem like the sort of fan relations we need. Some of you have mentioned many times how difficult it has been building a fan base here, and to send that kind of message to your core group, IMO, is a big mistake.

Will I continue to support the program? Of course. Will I go back to practices if and when they are opened up. Probably not for awhile. You'll just have to depend on the coaches to furnish you updates until I feel comfortable being there, which I don't at this time. Part of the fun in attending was being able to furnish you a look at what was going on, and how the players looked from a laymen's viewpoint. But so be it. I'm not getting a divorce from the program, but I do feel like I'm somewhat separated at this time.05-deadhorse
10-22-2009 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: One of the things that has always been
I can understand your frustration, even though I don't have an opportunity to attend practices. Of course, UALR has such a vast legion of diehard fans that we can afford to ignore them. Of course.
10-22-2009 10:58 AM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Doc. For someone who has worked so hard to present a fan-friendly, community friendly image as Coach Sheilds (or Coach Peterson, for that matter) has, it would not make sense that he would wish to go in the opposite direction. I feel pretty comfortable giving Coach Sheilds the benefit of the doubt on this one.
10-22-2009 03:53 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(10-22-2009 10:18 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  attractive to me about our program is that unlike some programs, our coaches and A.D. were always accessible, and there was a family feeling. You could attend practices, get to know the players, and coaches and feel a real part of the program.

I really hate to see that change. Are we beginning to get so big that we send the message that we really don't need the average fan. If Warren Stephens had wanted to attend the practices this week, would he have been told he couldn't come? I'm not picking on Warren, but just using that as an example. Would Coach Rip be turned away? Somehow I doubt it.

Sure. I enjoy watching the practices. But forget me. When you tell fans like MJS, PTJR, and YNOCPIRP, who have supported this program with their time and money for over 20 years that they can't come out and watch a practice, that doesn't seem like the sort of fan relations we need. Some of you have mentioned many times how difficult it has been building a fan base here, and to send that kind of message to your core group, IMO, is a big mistake.

Will I continue to support the program? Of course. Will I go back to practices if and when they are opened up. Probably not for awhile. You'll just have to depend on the coaches to furnish you updates until I feel comfortable being there, which I don't at this time. Part of the fun in attending was being able to furnish you a look at what was going on, and how the players looked from a laymen's viewpoint. But so be it. I'm not getting a divorce from the program, but I do feel like I'm somewhat separated at this time.05-deadhorse

Doc, you like to attend practices, and I don't blame you for being frustrated on that account, but I can also understand the need for closing some practices occasionally. But, Steve doesn't do that often, and when he does, I support him in doing so. We all know that Steve goes above and beyond the call of duty to be fan friendly, and I don't believe that we'd never find a more fan friendly coach. I don't always agree with him, but he's a true competitor, and one hell of a nice guy. I doubt that there's a coach in the game who doesn't close practices on occasion.
10-22-2009 04:11 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
(10-22-2009 04:11 PM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(10-22-2009 10:18 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  attractive to me about our program is that unlike some programs, our coaches and A.D. were always accessible, and there was a family feeling. You could attend practices, get to know the players, and coaches and feel a real part of the program.

Doc, you like to attend practices, and I don't blame you for being frustrated on that account, but I can also understand the need for closing some practices occasionally. But, Steve doesn't do that often, and when he does, I support him in doing so. We all know that Steve goes above and beyond the call of duty to be fan friendly, and I don't believe that we'd never find a more fan friendly coach. I don't always agree with him, but he's a true competitor, and one hell of a nice guy. I doubt that there's a coach in the game who doesn't close practices on occasion.

You're right about two things. Steve is a great guy, and he absolutely has the right to close practices. I stated that in an earlier post. But when all was said and done, to whom did he close it? Jeff was there, so it wasn't closed to the press. Billy Gillispie was there, so it wasn't closed to friends. And we really don't know who else might have been there. Hell, the entire girls volleyball team might have been there, for all I know. (that was a little humor thrown in for UALRgirl).

I'm really not upset about a closed practice. But to me, a closed practice is exactly that. Closed to everyone but coaches and players. So who was it actually closed to? The 2500 fans who have never attended a practice and probably never will? I'm normally the only fan there probably 98% of the time when I am there. Occasionally MJS drops in. So logic dictates that the closed practice is, in fact, only closed to MJS and me. Well I must admit, MJS and I are in a very exclusive group this week. I'm sure Steve had the most noble intentions of practicing without any interference. So on behalf of MJS and any other loyal fan who has been at practices along with me, I apologize to the coaching staff if we have interfered in a negative manner with practices in any way on the occasions we have been there which caused the practices this week to be semi-closed. I'm done. The horse is dead. Call the dog food company!05-deadhorse
10-22-2009 05:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.