Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Okay- Maybe Memphis fans are still behind their team
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Okay- Maybe Memphis fans are still behind their team
I thought much of the support was due to Calipari- From Jeff Goodman's blog-

Memphis had to shut its doors for its Midnight Madness last week after the FedEx Forum sold out to capacity in Josh Pastner's first season at the helm. Believe it or not, that never happened in the John Calipari Era. ...

Maybe we'll get a bunch of Memphis folks here after all.
10-20-2009 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Okay- Maybe Memphis fans are still behind their team
(10-20-2009 08:44 PM)mjs Wrote:  I thought much of the support was due to Calipari- From Jeff Goodman's blog-

Memphis had to shut its doors for its Midnight Madness last week after the FedEx Forum sold out to capacity in Josh Pastner's first season at the helm. Believe it or not, that never happened in the John Calipari Era. ...

Maybe we'll get a bunch of Memphis folks here after all.

Memphis should be no worse then 7-1, when they come to NLR. If they play Kansas close, their fans will be feeling good. Lose to anybody but Kansas and there will be a lot of concern among the faithful. Interesting- in the first month of the season, Memphis plays ASU, UCA, and UALR.

11/13/09 vs. Jackson State FedExForum
11/17/09 vs. Kansas TV Saint Louis, Mo. 9:00 p.m. CT
11/20/09 vs. Tennessee Tech FedExForum 7:00 p.m. CT
11/24/09 vs. Central Arkansas FedExForum 7:00 p.m. CT
11/30/09 vs. Oakland FedExForum 7:00 p.m. CT
12/05/09 vs. Arkansas State FedExForum 7:00 p.m. CT
12/09/09 vs. Montana State FedExForum 7:00 p.m. CT
10-20-2009 08:52 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
Sold out Midnight Madness? No doubt huge numbers will drive to NLR to see their team. For many, that'll be their only chance to see their Tigers in person.
10-20-2009 09:16 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(10-20-2009 09:16 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Sold out Midnight Madness? No doubt huge numbers will drive to NLR to see their team. For many, that'll be their only chance to see their Tigers in person.

I think you are correct Scotto, and the 2 pm tip will make it very convenient for them to come over and back without having to spend the night. And considering the competition that MJS posted that they will play before coming here, I will be shocked if they are NOT 7-1. I really don't think they are good enough to beat Kansas, but the rest should present very little challange. How much of a challange we will be is unknown as our squad is itself an unknown commodity.
10-20-2009 10:49 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-20-2009 10:49 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(10-20-2009 09:16 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Sold out Midnight Madness? No doubt huge numbers will drive to NLR to see their team. For many, that'll be their only chance to see their Tigers in person.

I think you are correct Scotto, and the 2 pm tip will make it very convenient for them to come over and back without having to spend the night. And considering the competition that MJS posted that they will play before coming here, I will be shocked if they are NOT 7-1. I really don't think they are good enough to beat Kansas, but the rest should present very little challange. How much of a challange we will be is unknown as our squad is itself an unknown commodity.

I felt a night game would be beneficial to our cities restaurants and hotels. I mentioned that to Jeff and he pointed out that our city hasn't really done diddly for our team in the years he's been covering UALR. Certainly the time will make it very easy for Memphis fans to come over for just the day, if that's what they want to do.
10-21-2009 09:27 AM
Scotto Offline

I'm wondering what Little Rock could be doing that it's not. Certainly the Demozette could be doing more. But the city? Help me out.
10-21-2009 09:52 AM
eh9198 Offline
All American

I Root For: Little Rock
Would the city board have any hand in promoting Trojan games, or does all advertising for any college in the state come exclusively from the colleges themselves? That might be a way Little Rock could do more for the Trojans.
10-22-2009 03:37 PM
Advertisement

Scotto Offline

The City is talking about laying off employees given their significant deficit. I just don't see them spending dollars promoting a State-financed university.
10-22-2009 03:54 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(10-22-2009 03:54 PM)Scotto Wrote:  The City is talking about laying off employees given their significant deficit. I just don't see them spending dollars promoting a State-financed university.

I've never seen the mayor or city manager at a game, although that doesn't mean they haven't been there. Even Bill Clinton when he was the governor, used to come the the games at the State House Convention Center quite often. You'd think the city bigs would be fans, even if they prefer pork.
10-22-2009 04:22 PM
Scotto Offline

Mayor Stodola is an alum from University of Iowa, but has his law degree from The Hill.

City Manager Moore is an alum from Henderson and has a Masters from asu.

Maybe they don't like basketball.
10-22-2009 04:28 PM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-22-2009 04:28 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Mayor Stodola is an alum from University of Iowa, but has his law degree from The Hill.

But they are the leaders of the city of Little Rock, and they should support their local team. All these alums of colleges across the nation, that become anchor persons on the LR TV stations don't have any problem learning to slobber all of the pigs, so why cant the city manager and mayor do that for the Trojans. As far as Moore being a Henderson alum and a masters from ASU, I am a Henderson alum and have a masters from the UofA. That doesn't keep me from being a Trojan fan first and foremost. I've seen two HSU games since I graduated in 1965. Nothing against Henderson, but I just prefer D-1 sports, and it's about 90 miles further away than UALR.

In fact, I've seen a lot more pig games over the years than the two HSU games. Of course, it was Henderson State Teachers College when I graduated. That's how old I am.
10-22-2009 07:11 PM
Scotto Offline

10-22-2009 07:15 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-22-2009 07:15 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Maybe they don't like basketball.

Maybe. Some people don't.
10-22-2009 07:17 PM
Advertisement

LR Alum Offline
1st String

(10-22-2009 04:28 PM)Scotto Wrote:  Mayor Stodola is an alum from University of Iowa, but has his law degree from The Hill.

I could be wrong but I think Bruce Moore actually is a Philander Smith alum.
10-22-2009 07:30 PM
LR Alum Offline
1st String

(10-22-2009 07:30 PM)LR Alum Wrote:  

I could be wrong but I think Bruce Moore actually is a Philander Smith alum.

I just went to his bio and saw that I was wrong, he is a Henderson alum. It seem like someone told me he went to Philander, maybe I'm thinking about someone else.
10-22-2009 07:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.