Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Windmills
Bookmark and Share
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Windmills
Very off topic, but it seems to a pretty popular issue in the DeKalb area from what I'm reading on the Daily Chronicle's website.

What is the big deal? I don't really understand why people care if there are windmills in view from their house? It's not like they create pollution, you would think they are putting in coal power plants the way these people are complaining. What exactly are the negatives of these things? Seems like much ado about nothing to me.

Am I missing something here?

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/.../index.xml
10-19-2009 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
RE: Windmills
It is the not in my backyard attitude. Also, the animal lovers will tell you that too many birds are killed by windmills. You try and get off of fossil fuels and all the special interest groups jump on you.
10-19-2009 11:17 AM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I guess my question is.. who cares, it's a windmill in the backyard, not an urban development or neighborhood or commercial property. I understand not wanting a factory or a coal power plant in your backyard or nuclear power, but what the hell, it's a windmill? It's not like it creates pollution or smells bad.

I would imagine if they killed too many birds they wouldn't be legal. And I'm sure the lowered pollution from something like a windmill leads to less animal's deaths than coal power anyways.

How does it affect their quality of life negatively in any way is my question? Do they require numerous employees to man them or something? I just don't get it. I have to be missing something here.
10-19-2009 11:24 AM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
Others also say there is an issue caused by the electromagnetic fields generated by the windmills. They also point to that from a "green" standpoint, they aren't that big a step foreward. There was a big stink in Boone County a while back as they wanted to put some up near Belvidere and people went nuts.
10-19-2009 12:06 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

Just all seems very silly to me. If they have windmills it means that developments won't show up, you'd think these people would be happy. Better then more housing I'd have to think. This may just be one of those things I'll never understand.
10-19-2009 12:31 PM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(10-19-2009 11:17 AM)klake87 Wrote:  It is the not in my backyard attitude. Also, the animal lovers will tell you that too many birds are killed by windmills. You try and get off of fossil fuels and all the special interest groups jump on you.

Windmills will only kill the stupid birds who can not figure out how to stay away from giant, moving blades. It will cull the herd. Eventually the birds will evolve into a creature that is smart enough to avoid windmills.

They should also learn how to stay off the bike path.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2009 02:48 PM by Huskie_Jon.)
10-19-2009 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Windmills make a fair amount of noise.

Swoosh......... Swoosh........ Swoosh......... Swoosh........ Swoosh......... Swoosh........ Swoosh.........
10-19-2009 03:37 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I'll have to drive past them sometime and check that out, didn't think about that.

How loud do the things get? That's the first legitimate complaint I've heard.
10-19-2009 04:33 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I was maybe 100yds away from one at a rest stop, and while you could easily talk, it was very noticeable.

I would say its like hearing an air-conditioning compressor shut on and off, on and off, on and off ad-infinitum. Or a far-away helicopter, but a little slower beat.
10-19-2009 04:43 PM
Advertisement

huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

(10-19-2009 04:43 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I was maybe 100yds away from one at a rest stop, and while you could easily talk, it was very noticeable.

I would say its like hearing an air-conditioning compressor shut on and off, on and off, on and off ad-infinitum. Or a far-away helicopter, but a little slower beat.

+1000
They are terrible.
10-19-2009 04:56 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Birds?
Who needs them?
They are dispendable and play no worthwhile role in eco system.
Too bad if windmills may disrupt migration patterns.

Who really needs nature anyways?

BTW:
I favor them as long as the endless woosh is not in my backyard.
It is, afterall, all about me and my needs- not yours or some nebulous sense of community.

Travel the highway from San Fran to Yosemite and eastward past Livermore, Cal after viewing 1,000 - yes 1000 windmills and tell me your impressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFJjlj3iPlk
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2009 07:20 PM by cyberdawg.)
10-19-2009 07:03 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(10-19-2009 07:03 PM)cyberdawg Wrote:  Birds?
Who needs them?

BTW:
It is, afterall, all about me and my needs- not yours or some nebulous sense of community.

Travel the highway from San Fran to Yosemite and eastward past Livermore, Cal after viewing 1,000 - yes 1000 windmills and tell me your impressions.

I believe there is a pretty big wind farm if you go south on 39 from 88. I can't remember how far but I don't think it was that far. Of course, we could get rid of the windmills and "drill baby drill". 05-stirthepot
10-20-2009 12:39 AM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
The newest designed windmills can provide the average energy needs for 400-450 homes. That's a trememdous amount of clean energy from one unit. Not that i've spent any time near a windmill but if I had to choose between living near a nuclear plant, a coal fired plant , an oil refinery or a windmill; I'm sure windmill would be an easy choice.
10-20-2009 12:47 AM
Advertisement

HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
(10-20-2009 12:39 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
Who needs them?

BTW:

I believe there is a pretty big wind farm if you go south on 39 from 88. I can't remember how far but I don't think it was that far. Of course, we could get rid of the windmills and "drill baby drill". 05-stirthepot
On Rt. 30 by heartbreakers?
10-20-2009 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-20-2009 08:21 AM)HuskiemobileMan Wrote:  
Who needs them?

BTW:

How come every time you talk directions, the reference point is some strip club! 02-13-banana
10-20-2009 08:24 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(10-20-2009 08:24 AM)NIURedBlack Wrote:  
Who needs them?

BTW:

How come every time you talk directions, the reference point is some strip club! 02-13-banana

Maybe there should be a nav system setting for strip clubs.

SHWING! Make a U-turn, if possible.

:tasha: :daphne:
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2009 08:38 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
10-20-2009 08:37 AM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
(10-20-2009 08:24 AM)NIURedBlack Wrote:  
Who needs them?

BTW:

Or gay bar?
10-20-2009 08:41 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
Who needs them?

BTW:

Can't remember I have only driven past it one time(have never been to Heartbreakers though-and probably never will because the only time I have gone to a strip club it wasn't exactly "stimulating" but I suppose it could have just been a bad place) but that sounds about right.
10-21-2009 01:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.