Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NFL - WTF is going on?
Bookmark and Share
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
NFL - WTF is going on?
This is one of the crazier seasons with the way some teams are playing based on their preseason expectations.

Tennesee - 0-5 after 13-4 season.
Bengals - 4-1.
Broncos - 5-0 - new coach, losing franchise qb, best wr wants to leave, defense wasn't supposed to be this good.
Washington/TB - each 0-5. I know it was supposed to be rebuilding, but no one predicted this bad.

And what can be said about the Bears and the way they use players? Cedric Benson is running like they expected him to out of college and Kyle Orton is making big plays in crunch time. Is it the system, coordinators, maturity of players, or how the players fit in the systems. I kind of think it has to be some of all these, but the Bears have to look at their offensive package (coaches, coordinators, schemes) and wonder.
10-12-2009 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: NFL - WTF is going on?
I'm pretty sure a lot of people thought TB would be godawful, them being 0 - 5 is no surprise.

Also, the Washington Redskins aren't 0 -5, they are 2 - 3.

Kyle Orton was fine with the Bears too, Broncos have played one good team and the Patriots defense hasn't been amazing this year by any means. He also has Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal, it's a lot easier to make plays when you're throwing to Marshall instead of Rashied Davis. I'd wait to make any judgements about what he's done at this point. Hell, Rex Grossman looked great after 6 games one season.
I (and any other intelligent football fan) would still much rather have Jay Cutler than Kyle Orton.

Benson had a lot of things go against him in his time here, from a bad O Line to bad quarterback play to bad WR's, and then taking the spot of a team favorite Thomas Jones, not getting along with the rest of the guys and then injuries. He always had talent though, that's why he was the number 4 pick. It shouldn't be that surprising to see him succeed. He's also surrounded by a good quarterback and WR's now too.

The players that were around these guys make a big difference, just like Cutler is making a difference for our WR's now. Both guys (Benson & Orton) have found themselves in a good situation and are making the best of it, but they aren't doing anything unworldly or completely surprising.
10-12-2009 01:26 PM
EddieMoney Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU,Blues,Bucs
The Bucs are much worse than I even thought, I knew it was going to be a bad year, but we we're a 9 win team last year. I can really see us going 0-16 this year, the only games that we might have a chance to win will be a carolina game or vs miami. I guess this is what happens when you get rid of most of the leadership on your team and get rid of one hell of a head coach and replace him with a 33 yeard Coach thats never even been a coordinator.
10-12-2009 02:45 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
(10-12-2009 02:45 PM)niutbbucfan Wrote:  The Bucs are much worse than I even thought, I knew it was going to be a bad year, but we we're a 9 win team last year. I can really see us going 0-16 this year, the only games that we might have a chance to win will be a carolina game or vs miami. I guess this is what happens when you get rid of most of the leadership on your team and get rid of one hell of a head coach and replace him with a 33 yeard Coach thats never even been a coordinator.

No they got rid of the worst coach, who tore down everything T Dungy built.
Gruden is the most egotistical jerk ever and the Bucs may never recover from what Davis got from the Glazers for chucky. Funny that it really didn't help Oakland.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-12-2009 04:35 PM
NIU17 Offline
All American

(10-12-2009 01:26 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure a lot of people thought TB would be godawful, them being 0 - 5 is no surprise.

Also, the Washington Redskins aren't 0 -5, they are 2 - 3.
Thanks. They keep losing to teams that are winless, so i thought they were winless too.

(10-12-2009 01:26 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Kyle Orton was fine with the Bears too, Broncos have played one good team and the Patriots defense hasn't been amazing this year by any means. He also has Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal, it's a lot easier to make plays when you're throwing to Marshall instead of Rashied Davis. I'd wait to make any judgements about what he's done at this point. Hell, Rex Grossman looked great after 6 games one season.
I (and any other intelligent football fan) would still much rather have Jay Cutler than Kyle Orton.
I never said that I wouldn't rather have Jay Cutler. I'm just saying that Orton is leading a team to a 5-0 record (should be 4-1 but they were lucky against cinci) with a team that in preseason, many were saying wouldn't be good. Cutler rolled up the yardage and points with Denver, but they never won anything with him.

(10-12-2009 01:26 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Benson had a lot of things go against him in his time here, from a bad O Line to bad quarterback play to bad WR's, and then taking the spot of a team favorite Thomas Jones, not getting along with the rest of the guys and then injuries. He always had talent though, that's why he was the number 4 pick. It shouldn't be that surprising to see him succeed. He's also surrounded by a good quarterback and WR's now too.
Is that why no one wanted him? Lots of players have talent in college and are drafted high and don't do well in the pros. I agree with your statements about why he didn't do well, but he didn't show too many signs of running like he did in college. He was timid going through the line.
10-12-2009 04:37 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
The defense Orton has is completely different than the one Cutler had there, the quarterback play has nothing to do with the win differences.

Benson showed them his first year, and he had just got in off the field trouble more then a couple times. Had more to do with no giving him a job then any performance issues. Plenty of guys who performed worse than he did, but he did it with a poor attitude and had off the field trouble. His talent wasn't what kept him from getting a job.
10-12-2009 05:24 PM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Oh the great Cutler Orton debate.. Listening to sports radio every morning with clowns calling in saying Orton is a better quarterback than Cutler makes my day. I think my favorite argument comes from callers who say Orton is better because he has a better W/L record than Cutler... Any logical fan would know that you can't compare a W/L record of QBs. And any Bears fan that would rather have Orton under center needs to have a mental health check.
Orton always had the skills to be a good QB in this league.. I think alot of it is the difference of the offensive systems. that Turner and McDaniels runs.

It's good to see Benson turn his career around. I would have loved to Ced run like that when he was drafted but I'm happy with Forte now.

MaddDawgz, any comments on the Bears WRs now? They look like a pretty solid group at the moment. You never believed me when I said that Cutler will make his this WR corps better
10-12-2009 07:07 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-12-2009 07:07 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Oh the great Cutler Orton debate.. Listening to sports radio every morning with clowns calling in saying Orton is a better quarterback than Cutler makes my day. I think my favorite argument comes from callers who say Orton is better because he has a better W/L record than Cutler... Any logical fan would know that you can't compare a W/L record of QBs. And any Bears fan that would rather have Orton under center needs to have a mental health check.
Orton always had the skills to be a good QB in this league.. I think alot of it is the difference of the offensive systems. that Turner and McDaniels runs.

It's good to see Benson turn his career around. I would have loved to Ced run like that when he was drafted but I'm happy with Forte now.

MaddDawgz, any comments on the Bears WRs now? They look like a pretty solid group at the moment. You never believed me when I said that Cutler will make his this WR corps better

Derek Anderson won yesterday while going 2/17 for 23 yards and an INT. It's like the baseball argument that wins and losses are an important statistic for pitchers.
10-12-2009 07:42 PM
Flames24Rulz Offline
All American

I Root For: SIU and NIU
(10-12-2009 07:07 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Oh the great Cutler Orton debate.. Listening to sports radio every morning with clowns calling in saying Orton is a better quarterback than Cutler makes my day. I think my favorite argument comes from callers who say Orton is better because he has a better W/L record than Cutler... Any logical fan would know that you can't compare a W/L record of QBs. And any Bears fan that would rather have Orton under center needs to have a mental health check.

Your analysis of Cutler and Orton is dead on. I just find it foolish how a certain segment of Bears fans are rooting against Orton to make the trade look that much better for them. Orton's been exceptional this year as he has an 8-1 TD/INT ratio, 1250 yards, and a 98 QB rating. Pretty impressive.

The Bears gave up way too soon on Benson, but he kind of forced his way out with the arrest after the whole Tank Johnson thing. Still, I always thought he had a ton of talent. He just didn't have any blockers to run behind. He committed himself into getting in shape in the offseason and he just looks faster this year.

The Bears WR corps still aren't very good. Knox is better than I thought, but I still think he's primarily a go-route only type WR.
10-12-2009 11:15 PM
Flames24Rulz Offline
All American

I Root For: SIU and NIU
Oh and the bottom of the league this year is by far the worst I've ever remembered it. There's like 8 teams that all can say they're the worst team in the league. Yesterday might have been the worst NFL Sunday I've ever seen.
10-12-2009 11:16 PM
CHoran24 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan & NIU
(10-12-2009 01:26 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Kyle Orton was fine with the Bears too, Broncos have played one good team and the Patriots defense hasn't been amazing this year by any means. He also has Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal, it's a lot easier to make plays when you're throwing to Marshall instead of Rashied Davis. I'd wait to make any judgements about what he's done at this point. Hell, Rex Grossman looked great after 6 games one season.

The Broncos have beat two good teams in the Bengals and the Patriots. 5-0 doesn't happen by mistake or luck. Josh Mcdaniels has that entire team buying into his system. When you have an entire team with a team first attitude they become very tough to beat. Just look what that attitude has done for the Patriots.
10-12-2009 11:19 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(10-12-2009 07:07 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  MaddDawgz, any comments on the Bears WRs now?

In two words, GOD AWFUL.
10-13-2009 12:07 AM
NIU17 Offline
All American

(10-13-2009 12:07 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 07:07 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  MaddDawgz, any comments on the Bears WRs now?

In two words, GOD AWFUL.

Have you been watching the games? They are still learning routes and getting on the same page as Cutler, but they are making a lot of excellent catches.
10-13-2009 08:46 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(10-13-2009 08:46 AM)NIU17 Wrote:  

In two words, GOD AWFUL.

Have you been watching the games? They are still learning routes and getting on the same page as Cutler, but they are making a lot of excellent catches.

This is the first real team the Bears will be playing this upcoming Sunday. Im holidng out judgement until I see this week's game.
10-13-2009 01:34 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-13-2009 01:34 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
In two words, GOD AWFUL.

This is the first real team the Bears will be playing this upcoming Sunday. Im holidng out judgement until I see this week's game.

There bears WR's have not looked "GOD AWFUL" and you're a moron for saying that they have. Also, the Pittsburgh Steelers are a pretty good football team. If the Bears beat Atlanta, you'll claim they have two ****** wins (Miami and Carolina), and a "lucky" win (San Fran).
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2009 02:09 PM by armour248.)
10-13-2009 02:08 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
(10-13-2009 02:08 PM)armour248 Wrote:  
(10-13-2009 01:34 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
In two words, GOD AWFUL.

There bears WR's have not looked "GOD AWFUL" and you're a moron for saying that they have. Also, the Pittsburgh Steelers are a pretty good football team. If the Bears beat Atlanta, you'll claim they have two ****** wins (Miami and Carolina), and a "lucky" win (San Fran).

have you watched the games at all????
10-14-2009 12:11 AM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
(10-12-2009 02:45 PM)niutbbucfan Wrote:  The Bucs are much worse than I even thought, I knew it was going to be a bad year, but we we're a 9 win team last year. I can really see us going 0-16 this year, the only games that we might have a chance to win will be a carolina game or vs miami. I guess this is what happens when you get rid of most of the leadership on your team and get rid of one hell of a head coach and replace him with a 33 yeard Coach thats never even been a coordinator.
Oh God not this. The Bucs may have made a mistake in hiring Morris, but not in firing Gruden. Sorry going 1-8 the last two years in December/Jan including the biggest choke job in the history of the NFL wasn't getting the job done. The biggest mistake this franchise has made is switching from the Cover 2 to whatever the hell this garbage we are running now. The "attack 4-3" reminds me of the garbage NIU ran before Kill got here. They should have just let Rah call the plays or hired Barry as the DC instead of LB coach.

Oh and we suck, but there is no chance they go 0-16. None.
10-14-2009 04:08 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Quote:NFL - WTF is going on?

This season has not shown as much parity as other years. Sure, some teams have gotten better, and other have got worse, but there are still 5 undefeated teams and 4 winless teams. I, personally, have been picking winners at 65%, which is better than usual. There have not been too many big upsets, either.

I am in a survival pool, and out of 20 original participants, 7 are out. Last year, seven were eliminated by week 3 (including me 03-weeping).

If this season is unusual, it is due to its lack of parity.

Beware of Halloween weekend. Halloween seems to cause lots of upsets.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2009 09:52 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
10-14-2009 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EddieMoney Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU,Blues,Bucs
(10-14-2009 04:08 AM)7 Wrote:  
Oh God not this. The Bucs may have made a mistake in hiring Morris, but not in firing Gruden. Sorry going 1-8 the last two years in December/Jan including the biggest choke job in the history of the NFL wasn't getting the job done. The biggest mistake this franchise has made is switching from the Cover 2 to whatever the hell this garbage we are running now. The "attack 4-3" reminds me of the garbage NIU ran before Kill got here. They should have just let Rah call the plays or hired Barry as the DC instead of LB coach.

Oh and we suck, but there is no chance they go 0-16. None.

Yea I am just a gruden fan, I know his time was done in Tampa. It's just a hard time watching this team play right now. I just can't believe how bad the defense is. The offense shows some bright spots, so I think we can win a game or two. I was just saying I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if did go 0-16. We can't stop anyone when it counts.
10-14-2009 01:08 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-14-2009 12:11 AM)calvin12 Wrote:  have you watched the games at all????

every game
10-14-2009 01:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.