Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Gruden to UL growing legs
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Gruden to UL growing legs
In town twice in the last month including today.
10-06-2009 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: Gruden to UL growing legs
stalker, lol
10-06-2009 09:26 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(10-06-2009 09:06 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  In town twice in the last month including today.

I heard that, also. 04-cheers
10-06-2009 09:29 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

(10-06-2009 09:29 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(10-06-2009 09:06 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  In town twice in the last month including today.

Wiklkie, according to Pirate I was driving and you were riding shotgun as we were leaving the airport tailing the Grudens
10-06-2009 09:49 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(10-06-2009 09:49 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  

Wiklkie, according to Pirate I was driving and you were riding shotgun as we were leaving the airport tailing the Grudens

So was a banker, a real estate agent, and a fund raiser for the Kragthorpe buy out fun! 04-cheers
10-06-2009 09:57 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Very interesting. The one caveat is that a lot of people believe that Gruden will be in fairly high demand as an NFL head coach after this season (if Eric Mangini can have multiple employers, a still relatively young Gruden with a Super Bowl ring that's keeping in contact with all of the influential people in the NFL via Monday Night Football can definitely find a job) and it's just my impression that he's always going to want to be at the pro level even if he entertains some college offers in the interim. In contrast, I think that there are a number of pro coaches that were fired last season (Herm Edwards, for instance) that are more suited to the college style of coaching than the pro game. Who knows - that would be a great get for Louisville if they can actually pull it off.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2009 10:12 PM by Frank the Tank.)
10-06-2009 10:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

dgrace4cards Offline
All American

To be perfectly honest it will be a homerun at first but many Card fans do wonder can he translate to college with recruiting, and gameplanning for college players vs pros. At this point its something we are willing to see if it works, because its 1000000x better than status quo. But there is some questions of the transition we have discussed on our scout board.
10-06-2009 10:17 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Gruden would be a mistake. He'll head back to the NFL as soon as a solid opportunity opens up.
10-06-2009 10:34 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

It wont be that much of a mistake, more than likely his brother Jay would come with him as OC and take over if/when Jon left. Jay is a former UL QB and could stay around for a while.
10-06-2009 10:38 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

That's what I heard, also. However, Gruden or Tuberville sure beats Crapthorpe! 04-cheers
10-06-2009 10:47 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I'd definately take Jay Gruden. He did a solid job in the Arena League.
10-06-2009 11:08 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

No way Gruden comes to Louisville. He will have his pick of a number of NFL jobs after the season. Gruden hasn't recruited for a univeristy in 18 years. What makes anyone think he would be successful at the college level? Who would be on his staff? Where are his high school recruiting ties? What type of offense would he run? Sure it's "the sexy" pick but besides that where's the substance?
I hope Jurich is smarter than that.
CJ
10-07-2009 04:50 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
(10-07-2009 04:50 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  No way Gruden comes to Louisville. He will have his pick of a number of NFL jobs after the season. Gruden hasn't recruited for a univeristy in 18 years. What makes anyone think he would be successful at the college level? Who would be on his staff? Where are his high school recruiting ties? What type of offense would he run? Sure it's "the sexy" pick but besides that where's the substance?
I hope Jurich is smarter than that.
CJ

Go after Tuberville and get a good OC to go with him. Tuberville will stay at UL I believe. He does not look like the type that would move around like Petrino.
10-07-2009 05:22 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-06-2009 10:34 PM)animus Wrote:  Gruden would be a mistake. He'll head back to the NFL as soon as a solid opportunity opens up.

Yep. 2 seasaons and a cloud of dust. That's even if he figures out how to succeed at the college level.

Honestly, don't know why he'd consider it when he has the cushy MNF gig and he'll have NFL oportunities in 5 months.

As to the title of this thread, I have a hunch the Gruden to UL growing legs in actuallity slithered on to a better fit and better opportunities.
10-07-2009 06:49 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
This is Bill Parcells to Kentucky all over again.
10-07-2009 07:22 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

(10-06-2009 09:57 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(10-06-2009 09:49 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  

So was a banker, a real estate agent, and a fund raiser for the Kragthorpe buy out fun! 04-cheers

I'd say for Krags buyout it would only require a lifetime pass to one of these
[Image: waffle-house-menu.jpg]

As for the real estate agent, things are progressing.
10-07-2009 07:36 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-07-2009 04:50 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  No way Gruden comes to Louisville. He will have his pick of a number of NFL jobs after the season.

I agree with this at the end of the day. Gruden isn't a case like Lane Kiffin or Pete Carroll, who clearly weren't good at being NFL head coaches. I think that most people were surprised when Gruden was fired by the Bucs, and considering that Tampa Bay looks like the worst team in the NFL today, there are going to be plenty of NFL people that believe that it must've been a heck of a coaching job to get that team to 9 wins last year (even if they did collapse down the stretch). A ton of other people have been thrown a lot of money to coach in the NFL with a lot less to offer than Jon Gruden. I think the fact the he's on Monday Night Football is important to consider, too - it means that he's in constant contact with executives and people that work for teams across the league, so he'll be one of the first to know if there's a job opening anywhere. He just seems to be destined to always be a pro coach (unlike, say, Dave Wannstedt or Pete Carroll, who could do well as coordinators at the pro level but really much better suited to the college level in terms of running the whole show as head coaches).
10-07-2009 08:59 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Gruden is a mistake. He won't be in Louisville long enough to get his feet wet in college football. An NFL team will snag him away in no time. If Jurich hires him, it will be his 2nd straight mistake in chosing a football coach...
10-07-2009 10:22 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Gruden going to Louisville is almost as rediculous as Ditka taking over at Pitt. Neither coach has any significant experience at the collegiate level and I honestly can see either kiss a bunch of 17 year old's behind to get recruits to their school.
10-07-2009 11:17 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
(10-07-2009 05:22 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  Go after Tuberville and get a good OC to go with him. Tuberville will stay at UL I believe. He does not look like the type that would move around like Petrino.

Paging Ole Miss. Believe Tuberville gave that school the vote of confidence right before he bolted there to go to Auburn.

Quote:Gruden going to Louisville is almost as rediculous as Ditka taking over at Pitt. Neither coach has any significant experience at the collegiate level and I honestly can see either kiss a bunch of 17 year old's behind to get recruits to their school.

Wan-stache did have 17 years between his last stint as a collegiate assistant and the beginning of his tenure at Pitt. Now Gruden did have far less time as a collegiate assistant and was never a coordinator like Wanny was at Miami (FL).

Thing w/Ditka is that he's been removed from coaching for, what, a decade?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2009 11:29 AM by mattsarz.)
10-07-2009 11:29 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.