Bookmark and Share
50Cent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Best in Ohio?
From Lance McAlister's blog...

http://1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

Can you feel it?
The ground is shifting beneath our feet. The tide is turning. Momentum is being fitted in Red and Black.
Today is as good a good day as any to accept UC football is taking over as the best football program in the state of Ohio. This process actually began in December of 2006. That's the day the University of Cincinnati hired Brian Kelly. Heck, even Oregon State coach Mike Riley alluded to it yesterday. When asked if Oregon State might be playing the best team in Ohio (UC) on Saturday, Riley said, "we might be...this is a very good football team. A very good program."
Don't look now, Ohio State football is losing its grip on the state of Ohio.
And for the first time ever Jim Tressel is under attack and losing his grip on his own fan base.
FireJimTresselNow.com popped up over the weekend. Yesterday, in an un-Tressel like manner, he returned fire on the fans at his weekly news conference. He said of those emailing him: "They've got to be some of the most unhappy people in the world, and I feel bad because we just made them less happy, and I hate to be a part of making someone less happy. I mean, they're already miserable," said Tressel.
Well Jim, times have changed and you haven't. Tressel is old school. Brian Kelly is new school.
While Kelly is racing ahead of the college football curve, Tressel is strolling behind it.
Kelly has made UC football cool. Tressel has made OSU football boring, predictable and conservative.
I'll see you Tressel's sweater vest and raise you Kelly's personality.
OSU fans confidence in Tressel sits at a John Cooper low.
That's what happens when you lose six straight games vs Top 5 opponents.
BCS blowouts tend to sear lasting images into the minds of fans and critics.
Big 10 titles in the 60's and 70's were the rage. Big 10 titles today draw yawns.
We are a 'what have you done for me lately?' society. A national title in 2002? Child please.
The cool factor drives college football. Ask Notre Dame. Ask the Miami. Lose the cool factor and eventually you lose games. UC football is 'other side of the pillow' cool. OSU football has become the Stone Age of football.
Kelly will never win all the in-state recruiting battles. Doesn't have to.
Kelly will gladly take three and four star recruits and coach them up into four and five star recruits.
Meanwhile, Tressel has taken a five star recruit and reduced him to a three star disappointment.
Finding all of this difficult to accept? Riddle me this Batman:
1. Who would you rather watch play football right now...UC or OSU?
2. What offense would you rather play in...UC or OSU?
3. What coach is the best bet to walk into your living room and knock the socks off you and your parents...Kelly or Tressel?
Pencil down, test turned over. Answers:
1. UC
2. UC
3. Brian Kelly.
But Bearcat fans beware. This is a work in progress, with no guarantees of staying power. Look at the history of UC football. Heck, is Kelly staying? He could be coaching in South Bend one year from today.
As is, Kelly is doing this with one hand tied behind his back. UC lacks a practice field, a bubble, and more. UC can't even sellout a home opener, as a nationally ranked team. Kelly is holding his end of this bargain up high. The rest is up to the UC administration, the UC fans and the bandwagon college football fans.
I've always insisted one of the biggest battles UC faces is the splintered college football scene in their own backyard. They share the pie with fans of OSU, UK, UL, ND and others. But that was based on the premise of not being able to back another pie. UC is in the process of showing the bandwagon OSU fan there is a better and more entertaining alternative. You no longer have to root for OSU just because it's the state school and just because others at work are rooting for them.
OSU was then and UC is now.
If you are an OSU fans tired of being "miserable" there is a reason to smile and be happy in Clifton.
So, what's it going to be?

09-16-2009 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

50Cent Offline
Heisman

RE: Best in Ohio?
btw, 6 AP poll voters have UC higher than OSU in this weeks poll

09-16-2009 01:14 PM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
that should generate some hits to his website and a few extra callers into the show - that's the bottom line and don't forget it...

07-coffee3

09-16-2009 01:24 PM
Advertisement

DelhiBearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wholesome Chat
Ain't that the truth!

Lance just says things to get people to call. I was listening yesterday to hear Kelly, and he was going on defending Bratkowski. He challenged anyone to call up and give him a reason why Bratkowski should be blamed for the Bengals' offense. Some guy calls up and shoots of a couple reasons, to which Lance replies..."I'll concede you that"....What the Hell does he mean? The guy just gave the most basic reasons possible (not stretching the field, play-calling, etc), nothing Earth shattering that no one had thought of before. He doesn't think it Brat's fault...some guy gives a couple basic examples everyone already knew...and all of a sudden maybe it it Brat's fault? LOL!

09-16-2009 01:34 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(09-16-2009 01:24 PM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  that should generate some hits to his website and a few extra callers into the show - that's the bottom line and don't forget it...

07-coffee3

Yep. I chuckled when he cited Riley's comments. What else was he supposed to say? Lance's show has gone down the tubes. I haven't listened in a long time.

09-16-2009 01:41 PM
50Cent Offline
Heisman

disregard the messenger and simply contemplate the message. UC will never have a greater fan base (in size) than OSU. UC will never fill a 100k stadium seven weeks a year.

But, UC football is more fun to watch. And on the field, UC can have just as many wins as OSU. Theyve shown they can go to a BCS game. UC may surpass OSU in rankings this year. Its a damn shame the Columbus OSU aint on UCs schedule this year....cause UC would beat them.

09-16-2009 02:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.