Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis hires Mike Tranghese
TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

I Root For: Memphis
Memphis hires Mike Tranghese
as a consultant...

Quote:Former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese has been hired by the University of Memphis as a consultant to assist the Tigers athletic program in its efforts to gain membership in a Bowl Championship Series conference.

[Image: dunno.gif]

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/200...nce-quest/
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2009 09:41 PM by TigersOhMy.)
09-15-2009 09:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Memphis hires Mike Tranghese
good move by memphis
09-15-2009 09:44 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
wow... huge move. Pretty smart. Will not make too many CUSA people happy but then I guess Memphis hasn't really been shy about wanting to leave anyway.
09-15-2009 09:46 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Bravo Memphis. Well-played.

04-cheers
09-15-2009 09:54 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
this is a strange thing and proves the big east wants to add another school in fb.
your fb team is no where near bcs caliber, in the short term they would bring down the nbe fb league, can they improve fast, i doubt it.
is your bb team questionable with calipari gone, yes.
i think a good start for memphis fb is to hire a good coach(lou holtz.....
09-15-2009 09:55 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Forget Holtz. They need to fire their current coach and hire Tommy Tuberville
09-15-2009 09:58 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(09-15-2009 09:58 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Forget Holtz. They need to fire their current coach and hire Tommy Tuberville

Tuberville would be a good hire for Memphis. If they haven't been clear about their intentions before (which they have) hiring Tranghese is definitely like posting a giant billboard saying we want in the Big East.
09-15-2009 10:00 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

Whatever Memphis does or Mike T. tells them - it isn't going to change the fact that the league considers 17 an impossible number. There is going to have to be some breaking point somehow on that issue for expansion to happen. And even if expansion does happen, there is no guarantee it will be Memphis, although I guess they'd be the favorite.
09-15-2009 10:02 PM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(09-15-2009 10:02 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  Whatever Memphis does or Mike T. tells them - it isn't going to change the fact that the league considers 17 an impossible number. There is going to have to be some breaking point somehow on that issue for expansion to happen. And even if expansion does happen, there is no guarantee it will be Memphis, although I guess they'd be the favorite.

Increasingly I think ECU ends up being the program to get in. They have a football program that is already good, they have a fairly large fanbase built in, they're upgrading and expanding their facilities. They have a built in rivalry with what is arguably our flagship program. They have several good non-rev sports especially baseball. Only their basketball is sub-par but I think they have the type of administration that would use Big East membership to their advantage fairly quickly to rectify that. (Off-topic Side Note: I also think if Hill doesn't do something dramatic this year Pernetti will do something dramatic to rectify the ails of the once proud Rutgers Basketball program.)

Memphis does bring in built in rivalries with UL and Cincy but with so much up in the air there right now I think they're less of a slam dunk than they were say a year ago. UCF is also interesting, but I don't think that they're the Florida program we need to look at just yet. Basically ECU offers the most while providing a midway point between the rest of the Big East and USF. And I think of those schools ECU is the most highly regarded by the schools we'd most want in if the opportunity was ever possible. (Miami, State Penn, Florida State, Va Tech, BC, and Maryland)
09-15-2009 10:10 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The only way ECU gets in is as football-only, whoch would mean dropping out of C-USA for other sports and settling in something like the Atlantic Sun. The Big East is not interested in 17 for basketball.

But realistically, if football-only is the strategy, the Philadelphia market trumps the Greenville market.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2009 10:16 PM by DFW HOYA.)
09-15-2009 10:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Either ballsy or desperate take your pick. Let's see how it plays out.
09-15-2009 10:18 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline

Donators
(09-15-2009 10:15 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  The only way ECU gets in is as football-only, whoch would mean dropping out of C-USA for other sports and settling in something like the Atlantic Sun. The Big East is not interested in 17 for basketball.

But realistically, if football-only is the strategy, the Philadelphia market trumps the Greenville market.

That only matters if more than 25 people are watching. We already have access to the Philly market via Rutgers. The Greenville market which isn't as important as the fact that ECU plays good football people are interested in and has a fanbase that travels well (important for bowls) trumps Temple at present.
09-15-2009 10:19 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
so y'all agree they need a new coach? they also need a bb coach.
could they do fb only cause a 17 team bb league is to big?01-lauramac2
09-15-2009 10:22 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2009 10:18 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  Either ballsy or desperate take your pick. Let's see how it plays out.

I think it's ballsy. It's a shrewd move really. From a political standpoint and from a sheer sense of obligation, the BE is not going to shove MT's efforts aside without seriously considering what he has to say. And I don't think MT would risk his pride and ego on a hopeless case. I'd say there is a good chance that some type of situation will be worked out w/ Memphis in the future in the BE.

What that might entail exactly or how the issue of 17 is resolved, i have no clue.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2009 10:24 PM by wvucrazed.)
09-15-2009 10:23 PM
TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

(09-15-2009 10:23 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  
(09-15-2009 10:18 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  Either ballsy or desperate take your pick. Let's see how it plays out.

I think it's ballsy. It's a shrewd move really. From a political standpoint and from a sheer sense of obligation, the BE is not going to shove MT's efforts aside without seriously considering what he has to say. And I don't think MT would risk his pride and ego on a hopeless case. I'd say there is a good chance that some type of situation will be worked out w/ Memphis in the future in the BE.

What that might entail exactly or how the issue of 17 is resolved, i have no clue.

I would say this move was driven by the big business boosters. not going off on the sponsorship tangent, the guys that run fedex got there for a reason; making smart business decisions
09-15-2009 10:28 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2009 10:22 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  so y'all agree they need a new coach? they also need a bb coach.
could they do fb only cause a 17 team bb league is to big?01-lauramac2

the new coach, Josh Pastner has the #5 rated recruiting class already in place with more to come, I would say we are pretty happy with him ...
09-15-2009 10:29 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I'd say that this signals that Memphis is the chosen program... if MT can mentor them along, they are in (as if Memphis won't do whatever he says). ECU and UCF... thanks for playing.
09-15-2009 10:30 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Well, if we see our #3 team in the Liberty Bowl, I'll be more convinced that this is going somewhere. Although I do admit, since Tranghese constantly harped about there was no one out there who would bring value in an expansion, who better to show an aspiring member how to get to the promised land.
09-15-2009 10:33 PM
Steelbeard Offline
OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN

I Root For: ECU
(09-15-2009 10:30 PM)mlb Wrote:  I'd say that this signals that Memphis is the chosen program... if MT can mentor them along, they are in (as if Memphis won't do whatever he says). ECU and UCF... thanks for playing.

Considering RC Johnson was the chief architect in Temple getting kicked out of the Big East, I don't see much coming from this except Tranghese getting a nice paycheck to basically tell Memphis that losing to Middle Tennessee is not the way to get a BE invite.
09-15-2009 10:42 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Interesting move indeed. This doesn't guarentee a Big East invite though.
09-15-2009 10:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.