I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Week Four TV Selections
They were announced today. Announced games in bold

Fresno St.-Cincy, 12pm Big East Network
USF at Florida St., 12pm ESPNU HD
Rhode Island-UConn, 12pm ESPN360.com

Pittsburgh at NC State, 3:30pm ESPNU HD
Rutgers at Maryland, 3:30pm ESPN360.com
Maine at Syracuse, 7pm SUAthletics.com (maybe Time Warner Sports)
Louisville at Utah, 7:30pm CBS College HD

Bye: West Virginia
09-14-2009 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
RE: Week Four TV Selections
What is the BE TV contract? I thought the league had to be on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC a certain # of times per season.

It seems as though BE games are only on PPV or 360 which no one can get, with an occasional ESPNU game? Is the BE being paid what they are supposed to as per the contract?
09-14-2009 04:44 PM
Find all posts by this user
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-14-2009 04:44 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  What is the BE TV contract? I thought the league had to be on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC a certain # of times per season.

It seems as though BE games are only on PPV or 360 which no one can get, with an occasional ESPNU game? Is the BE being paid what they are supposed to as per the contract?

Only three of those games fall under Big East contract: Rhode Island-UConn, Fresno-Cincy and NW-Syracuse. Only Big East home games are part of the contract.

The conference is guaranteed the following:
  • 17 total games on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2
  • Supposedly 3 of those 17 games on ABC
  • At least 5 games on ESPNU

So far, I count:
  • 1 ABC game (11/27)
  • 11 ESPN/ESPN2 games
  • 1 ESPNU game
  • 4 games where the TV windows aren't decided

ABC/ESPN will likely meet/exceed what they have to provide the Big East by the end of the season.
09-14-2009 06:16 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Too bad MASN, SNY, and our Philly affiliate couldn't step up together and say we'll carry an ESPN Regional Telecast. And for God's sake can we please get some HD cameras out there.
09-14-2009 06:23 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-14-2009 06:23 PM)brista21 Wrote:  Too bad MASN, SNY, and our Philly affiliate couldn't step up together and say we'll carry an ESPN Regional Telecast. And for God's sake can we please get some HD cameras out there.

They gave all those HD cameras to the SEC.

SNY will be carrying that Fresno St.-Cincy game.
09-14-2009 06:25 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(09-14-2009 06:25 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  
(09-14-2009 06:23 PM)brista21 Wrote:  Too bad MASN, SNY, and our Philly affiliate couldn't step up together and say we'll carry an ESPN Regional Telecast. And for God's sake can we please get some HD cameras out there.

Yes they will but seeing that the games are two different timeslots it shouldn't be a problem.
09-14-2009 06:29 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Matt - what games have them shown on TV that involve BE games? The ones I can recall off top of my head is Cincy/RU UCONN/UNC and Cuse/Minn. It seems ESPN/ABC is filled with B10 and SEC games.
09-14-2009 06:30 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
To be fair, the Big East has generally played D1-AA teams thus far into the season. I believe they are 0-3 against other BCS conferences... not a lot of games to show the first 2 weeks.
09-14-2009 06:39 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-14-2009 04:14 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  Maine at Syracuse, 7pm SUAthletics.com (maybe Time Warner Sports)

The TWSN online schedule shows they're carrying the game.
09-14-2009 06:41 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-14-2009 06:29 PM)brista21 Wrote:  
(09-14-2009 06:25 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  

Yes they will but seeing that the games are two different timeslots it shouldn't be a problem.

If you mean the Rutgers game, it falls under the ACC contract. It more or less mirrors ours except they don't do regional telecasts except for the Raycom 12pm game.
09-14-2009 06:56 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-14-2009 06:30 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Matt - what games have them shown on TV that involve BE games? The ones I can recall off top of my head is Cincy/RU UCONN/UNC and Cuse/Minn. It seems ESPN/ABC is filled with B10 and SEC games.

These are the games that are part of the Big East TV contract that will be on TV:

http://www.mattsarzsports.com/2009/BigEast.aspx

So far this season just the three you've listed. As mlb mentioned, games vs. I-AA aren't likely to be picked up for even ESPNU.

As for the Big 10/SEC, I think I figured out that close to 2/3 of all Saturday games on ESPN/ESPN2 will be those two conferences.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2009 07:11 PM by mattsarz.)
09-14-2009 06:59 PM
buckaineer Offline
Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
Fresno St.-Cincy, 12pm Big East Network

The above games are not against 1-AA competition and are all games that deserve national coverage on ESPN, or ESPN2. If the BE teams listed above were in the Big Ten or another BCS conference you could bet they would at least warrant noon national coverage. No wonder the BE can't get any ratings or rankings, no one can see any of the interesting matchups. Not alot of people even get ESPNU not to mention whatever the BE network is (PPV?)
09-14-2009 07:20 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(09-14-2009 07:20 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  Fresno St.-Cincy, 12pm Big East Network

The above games are not against 1-AA competition and are all games that deserve national coverage on ESPN, or ESPN2. If the BE teams listed above were in the Big Ten or another BCS conference you could bet they would at least warrant noon national coverage. No wonder the BE can't get any ratings or rankings, no one can see any of the interesting matchups. Not alot of people even get ESPNU not to mention whatever the BE network is (PPV?)

Remember that the USF-FSU and Pitt-NC State games are ACC games for the purposes of TV as opposed to Big East games. Take off the conference pride hat and look at that day's schedule if you're running ABC and ESPN that needs to draw in casual fans. ABC/ESPN's ACC pick for that week is Miami-Virginia Tech, which is completely understandable from the perspective of a general college football fan. So, that virtually took USF-FSU and Pitt-NC State off the table right off the bat. Even if ESPN would consider taking one of those two games, the Big Ten's football contract calls for 12 pm ET games on both ESPN and ESPN2, so the time slots are both of those channels are always going to be taken. The 3:30 pm ET time slot on ESPN is reserved for the reverse mirror of the ABC Big Ten or ACC game (Illinois-Ohio State or Miami-Virginia Tech), so that time slot is taken, as well. There can't be a 3:30 pm ET game on ESPN2 because it's contractually obligated with the SEC to have a prime time game each week, which starts at 6 pm ET (Florida-Kentucky). The last prime time slot on ESPN at 8 pm ET is for Notre Dame-Purdue, which, once again, you can't expect any of the aforementioned BE matchups to take precedence over that one from the perspective of a general college football fan. The only "bias" that networks have is the bias for their own pocketbooks.
09-15-2009 10:57 AM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

ESPN/ESPN2 aren't Big Ten's exclusively at 12pm Frank. Just seems that way. 03-wink
09-15-2009 11:31 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(09-15-2009 11:31 AM)mattsarz Wrote:  ESPN/ESPN2 aren't Big Ten's exclusively at 12pm Frank. Just seems that way. 03-wink

I think that you're right, although isn't ESPN obligated to always take at least one game in that time slot (and almost always takes two)?
09-15-2009 11:36 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(09-15-2009 11:36 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(09-15-2009 11:31 AM)mattsarz Wrote:  ESPN/ESPN2 aren't Big Ten's exclusively at 12pm Frank. Just seems that way. 03-wink

I think that you're right, although isn't ESPN obligated to always take at least one game in that time slot (and almost always takes two)?

Yeah, based on the lack of night games that the Big Ten does, ESPN/ESPN2 has to take at least one game for 12pm. They do take two games more often than not.

It will be interesting to see what they do when the schedule stretches an additional week to Thanksgiving starting next year(?).
09-15-2009 12:04 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.