Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Seems I caught the attention of SU's director of athletic communications
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Seems I caught the attention of SU's director of athletic communications
Received an email from Susan Edson, SU's director of athletic communications requesting that I remove the kick time listings for the Northwestern and Maine home games because the school has not officially announced them.

My source for these kick times was a publicly available site run by Time Warner Cable, who broadcasts the games not selected by ABC, ESPN Networks or the Big East Network syndication package. Go here to view what I found on the 19th and 26th.

http://twcsportsnet.com/

I'm going to comply with their request, though I'm not thrilled about it since I did not find these game times through any illegal or back door means, particularly if they are not incorrect. I was also asked to turn in the Time Warner sites, which really seems uncool. Most schools have already released kick times for the 1st three weeks, so IMO SU is kinda dragging its feet in announcing the kick time for the NU game.

The games will remain on the site until this evening when they will be taken down. Guess visibility has its price and I do value the ability to converse with SIDs and other media related folks in athletic departments.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2009 08:57 AM by mattsarz.)
08-25-2009 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Seems I caught the attention of SU's director of athletic communications
One nice thing about it. You now have Susan Edson's email address, and can request information from her directly. It should help out considerably in other areas...
08-25-2009 09:37 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Wow...

I'm of the opinion that we (Matt's site and my site) got those times legitimately and shouldn't have to remove the information.
08-25-2009 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(08-25-2009 09:37 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  One nice thing about it. You now have Susan Edson's email address, and can request information from her directly. It should help out considerably in other areas...

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but many of the athletic departments put their entire staff's email addresses on their websites. Some may not post the AD's information or leave a commissioner's information hidden. If I can't find information readily on the web, then yes, I would generally start with the Media Relations director or SID.

The issue I have is that if Time Warner posted that information, they likely got it from someone inside the Syracuse athletic department. If Syracuse doesn't want that information posted, they should have told Time Warner to change their listings for that time frame to TBA. We could guess that its a time slot for those games, but at least it would be hidden if that's what SU wants.
08-25-2009 10:04 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

This same director also had an issue with credentialed student photographers at SU games

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news...acuse.html

The issue was then resolved when the NCAA said the photographers weren't violating NCAA standards.

http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news.../ncaa.html
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2009 10:15 AM by mattsarz.)
08-25-2009 10:12 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

You could also put in a note that the times listed are from Time Warner's web listing, and is not officially released by the Orange yet. That isn't quite complying with her request. But it does follow the spirit of the thing...

Another option is to remove the listings and then post a link to Time Warner's scheduled times for those games, with a note explaining why the time isn't listed on your site. That follows the letter of their request, and let's everyone else know why the time isn't listed there...

There's more than one way to skin a cat...

I have also found that the email addresses posted on websites are handled by staff personnel. The intended recipient never sees 'em, unless the message is important to the intended recipient. I discovered that when my father was in the hospital last time, and I tried to contact some of his old friends in the coaching ranks to update them of his progress. Fortunately, the messages got through, since his name is still known by those around the folks in question. But usually, it's a hit or miss affair...
08-25-2009 10:38 AM
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
We've decided to monitor the Time Warner site and if they remove the times of those games, we'll remove them from NCAAPalace until SU makes their official announcement.
08-25-2009 10:46 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I now know where I caught the attention of SU officials. Looks like a certain poster from Texas named Mark (:)) passed along some information to Donnie Webb, who in turn must have alerted the SU athletic department.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/...g_wit.html
08-25-2009 12:59 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-25-2009 12:59 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  I now know where I caught the attention of SU officials. Looks like a certain poster from Texas named Mark (:)) passed along some information to Donnie Webb, who in turn must have alerted the SU athletic department.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/...g_wit.html

Just getting you some publicity...actually I posted your links to the game on the Scout board...Donnie Webb knows me so he saw it and ran with it.

I bet SU wants to hold back the info to help preseason ticket sales...but it in fact hinders them...many parents hold back on buying tickets until they know kickoff times due to lil Johnny and Suzies' Saturday Activities.

Matt that TWC link is public domain...they are nuts thinking they can control it.

Only other thought is maybe SU hasn't finalized the agreement with TWC on the NW game. Maybe they are hoping for ESPN family to broadcast especially if Paulus has a great first game.
08-25-2009 02:12 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

No worries. The way the code works behind the scenes is that the game is still there, its just hidden when the HTML renders so no one see it at all. Makes for an easy edit if/when things get announced.
08-25-2009 02:20 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
In (what I find to be) an interesting tangent to this, I was in the Silver Legacy sports book in Reno this weekend and picked up "Doc's Sports Journal" which has every bettable college and pro football game for the year listed and includes kickoff times. Now obviously some are subject to change, but the times must have been decided on by somebody at some point. FWIW, here is their version of USF's schedule (with "eastern" kickoff times):

9/5 WOFFORD (7 pm)
9/12 @ Western Kentucky (7:30 pm)
9/19 CHARLESTON SOUTHERN (7 pm)
9/26 @ Florida State (3:30 pm)
10/3 @ Syracuse (12:00 pm)
10/15 CINCINNATI (7:30 pm)
10/24 @ Pittsburgh (7:00 pm)
10/30 WEST VIRGINIA (8:00 pm)
11/12 @ Rutgers (7:30 pm)
11/21 LOUISVILLE (12:00 pm)
11/28 MIAMI (12:00 pm)
12/5 @ Connecticut (12:00 pm)

It will be interesting to see how accurate those times end up...

USFFan
08-25-2009 06:28 PM
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Hey 'Fan = check your private messages.

CB
08-25-2009 06:42 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(08-25-2009 09:37 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  One nice thing about it. You now have Susan Edson's email address, and can request information from her directly. It should help out considerably in other areas...

03-phew stalker! 04-jawdrop
08-25-2009 08:38 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Hey, you're the one who keeps drawing dirty pictures...
[Image: whatbob.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2009 08:50 PM by bitcruncher.)
08-25-2009 08:48 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

03-lmfao I have no fingers! 04-jawdrop
08-25-2009 08:50 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Roll up your sleeves. They're still there... 03-banghead
08-25-2009 08:54 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

"I have blisters on my fingers"! 04-bow
08-25-2009 08:57 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Matt,
As a child of the 60's I can honestly say, without a doubt, if it were me that they had emailed I would kindly, in the nicest way possible, tell them to go f*ck themselves.
I would also remind them that football season is at hand and that they need to be worrying about returning Syracuse Football to its former glory instead of fretting over what an independent journalist has on his website.
I'm old enough to remember young people standing up to the establishment. F*ck The Man, Power to The People. All I'm saying is don't let them tread upon your constitutional rights.
CJ
08-25-2009 09:27 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

The TW site in my original post backed down as well, leaving the time slots up and marking the games as TBD
08-26-2009 04:57 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-26-2009 04:57 AM)mattsarz Wrote:  The TW site in my original post backed down as well, leaving the time slots up and marking the games as TBD

Looks like Sue got to them LOL
08-26-2009 08:35 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.