Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Sad-but-accurate assessment of our Bowl situation ...
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Sad-but-accurate assessment of our Bowl situation ...
sample quote:

"... the bowls don't give a rat's behind about that. The considerations are name recognition, ticket sales and marketability for television. And, like it or not - fair or unfair - those ACC teams have more of almost all those qualities. So do teams from any other BCS conference."

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/200908240991
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2009 08:15 AM by quo vadis.)
08-24-2009 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Sad-but-accurate assessment of our Bowl situation ...
BS! 03-phew
08-24-2009 10:00 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
El Paso isn't "crime-ridden" from what I've read. Never been there myself.

But otherwise i'd say he pretty much hits the nail on the head. Last year was the league's weakest in several years, and on-the-field play isn't what drives these deals.
08-24-2009 10:08 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Dude.. go find a new team to cheer for.. You would be much happier.
08-24-2009 10:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-24-2009 10:08 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  El Paso isn't "crime-ridden" from what I've read. Never been there myself.

Yeah, El Paso actually has a low crime rate, despite the drug cartel violence in Juarez. I bet the author was assuming that violence had spilled over into EP, but so far it largely hasn't.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/134579.html
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2009 06:50 AM by quo vadis.)
08-25-2009 06:49 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-24-2009 10:41 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Dude.. go find a new team to cheer for.. You would be much happier.

I'm extremely happy rooting for USF in football and Georgetown in basketball (though i admit to a slight pang of cognitive dissonance when they meet on the b-ball court).

My assessment of our conference bowl situation doesn't bear on that at all. I was extremely happy rooting for USF 10 years ago, when we were IAA.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2009 06:53 AM by quo vadis.)
08-25-2009 06:53 AM
claytonbigsby Offline
Banned

I Root For: the movement
(08-24-2009 09:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  sample quote:

"... the bowls don't give a rat's behind about that. The considerations are name recognition, ticket sales and marketability for television. And, like it or not - fair or unfair - those ACC teams have more of almost all those qualities. So do teams from any other BCS conference."

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/20090824...uild=cache

Link doesn't work. :muttering:
08-25-2009 07:12 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
We do not yet know what the final bowl line up will look like for the BE. At worse you will stay even with what you had.. Champs is a slight step down from gator/sun but is a better deal for BE. I would call it an even trade. If BE can pick up either a better deal for #3 and move charlotte to #4. Or keep charlotte #3 and upgrade its #4 it will be a decent off season for BE.
08-25-2009 07:15 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(08-25-2009 07:15 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  We do not yet know what the final bowl line up will look like for the BE. At worse you will stay even with what you had.. Champs is a slight step down from gator/sun but is a better deal for BE. I would call it an even trade. If BE can pick up either a better deal for #3 and move charlotte to #4. Or keep charlotte #3 and upgrade its #4 it will be a decent off season for BE.

I hope that the BE picks up a better deal for the #4 slot. The Meinekee folks have always treated the BE well, except when the BE tries to jerk them around with the picks. I think that bowl is an excellent choice for our #3. I dont know why the folks in the BE office are always trying to move them down. Their payout at around $1.5 mill is not too shabby. That payout is even higher when the bowl has high attendance, which it has for the most part.
08-25-2009 08:11 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-25-2009 07:12 AM)claytonbigsby Wrote:  Link doesn't work. :muttering:

I have updated the link in my original post and as of now, it works, so please try again.
08-25-2009 08:16 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(08-25-2009 07:15 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  We do not yet know what the final bowl line up will look like for the BE. At worse you will stay even with what you had.. Champs is a slight step down from gator/sun but is a better deal for BE. I would call it an even trade. If BE can pick up either a better deal for #3 and move charlotte to #4. Or keep charlotte #3 and upgrade its #4 it will be a decent off season for BE.

Exactly. We do not yet know how the bowl lineup will look At WORST, it will be even with what we had before. And chances are it will be significantly better, if the #3 or 4 are upgraded.
08-25-2009 11:41 AM
claytonbigsby Offline
Banned

I Root For: the movement
I still think if the Big East had more teams, it would allow the teams at the top to look better. Finishing 1st or 2nd in an 8 team league vs an 11 team league looks completely different. You have more markets, more games to sell to television, and more teams to bet on performing at a high level.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2009 12:31 PM by claytonbigsby.)
08-25-2009 12:30 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-25-2009 11:41 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  

Exactly. We do not yet know how the bowl lineup will look At WORST, it will be even with what we had before.

I agree, but the problem is, what we had before ... sucks.
08-25-2009 12:46 PM
Advertisement

TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
looks like emerald pushed down (or out) form pac10 5. Pac10 has had 6,6,5 eligible. it appears like music city may be only one left vs guaranteed bcs that may listen.
08-25-2009 04:27 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(08-25-2009 04:27 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  looks like emerald pushed down (or out) form pac10 5. Pac10 has had 6,6,5 eligible. it appears like music city may be only one left vs guaranteed bcs that may listen.

I think that the Liberty could still be in play. Hard to tell whats going on behind the scenes in Memphis, and i'm not talking about expansion.
08-25-2009 04:47 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(08-25-2009 04:47 PM)animus Wrote:  
(08-25-2009 04:27 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  looks like emerald pushed down (or out) form pac10 5. Pac10 has had 6,6,5 eligible. it appears like music city may be only one left vs guaranteed bcs that may listen.

I think that the Liberty could still be in play. Hard to tell whats going on behind the scenes in Memphis, and i'm not talking about expansion.

Well the Liberty Bowl has said it plans to renew its current contract with CUSA & The SEC.

Who knows for sure, I guess we will find out soon.
08-25-2009 06:12 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Honestly, with so many darn bowl games does it really matter what bowl game you play in after December 25th?

It used to be that playing on New Year's Day mattered. Nowadays bowl games run into the second week of January.

Playing in Orlando is a heck of a better draw than playing backcountry Jax. The location will certainly appeal to most BE fanbases, as will the bowl game by the beach in StPete. Beats travelling way across the country to ElPaso for basically the same payout. I enjoyed myself in El Paso but I'm not exactly heartbroken. Charlotte is a nice bowl game that is easily accessible and has potential to grow. The weather is comparable to El Paso and there a lot of things to do in Charlotte at night.
08-25-2009 06:32 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I'd still offer the Gator #3 & ND 3yrs
there always chance ND is in BCS or ineligable
08-25-2009 06:35 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Most average fans could CARELESS about bowl tiers. Ask anyone here in the West Coast and most won't even know the difference. Outside the BCS bowls, I really don't see much difference in other bowls other than match ups. I don't sit around and go "WOW... Capital One is a Tier One Bowl and I must watch that". As with many things in sports, it comes down who is playing whom in a game. I could careless about a 7-5 B10 or ACC team matching up cause it is just plain boring anyway you look at it.
08-25-2009 08:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Its all about payout, media and TV exposure! 04-cheers
08-25-2009 08:53 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.