Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Memphis gets slammed hard
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Memphis gets slammed hard
3 Years probation, they have to forfeit all 38 wins that season and have to give up NCAA tourny money.

More details to come.

Check out this thread for more details. Don't rub anything in B.E. fans. Only if OSU and USC got this treatment.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=382665
08-20-2009 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Memphis gets slammed hard
Not rubbing it in, but there's no question it tarnishes the Memphis b-ball program, which is its strongest calling-card for Big East membership.
08-20-2009 02:25 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I'm not saying Memphis doesn't need to be punished, but the NCAA needs to treat the cash cows and the little guys the same.
08-20-2009 02:28 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
No lost scholarships. No postseason probation. No big deal.
08-20-2009 02:28 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(08-20-2009 02:28 PM)3601 Wrote:  No lost scholarships. No postseason probation. No big deal.

Pretty much guaranteed no Big East bid as well, though.
08-20-2009 02:32 PM
Cletus Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
How many Big 6 schools do you see on this list? Makes you wanna go hmmmm?

[Image: 2008-ncaa-major-infractions.jpg]

Quote:Dan Wetzel at YahooSports essentially fires a Bin Laden Determined to Strike in US shot across the bow of the Good Ship NCAA, led by Capt. Myles Brand, for its notably lax invisible investigation and enforcement of NCAA rules among its two revenue cash cow sports, football and basketball.
Wetzel goes on to describe just how toothless the NCAA investigations staff has become in recent years despite its recent expansion. Apparently they’re still quite excellent at catching small-school hopscotch coaches who have the audacity to text recruits outside of the mandated contact periods (check the below list from 2008). But when it comes to the power conference schools who have big money, big boosters, big media and drive the whole ship into port for the NCAA coffers, the investigators are largely missing.

What a joke. We harkened back to this problem when the OJ Mayo allegations came out last spring. With a notorious character like Rodney Guillory hanging around the USC program, how could the NCAA and the LA media have so completely missed it? We’ll buy the fact that newspapers don’t have the proper resources to perform comprehensive investigative journalism while entire newsrooms are shuttering, but the NCAA still has no excuse. Especially when we look at the above list and see what those twenty investigators have been so diligently working on for the past nine months.

08-20-2009 02:33 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(08-20-2009 02:32 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(08-20-2009 02:28 PM)3601 Wrote:  No lost scholarships. No postseason probation. No big deal.

Pretty much guaranteed no Big East bid as well, though.

1. I'm really not worried about it either way.
2. You may disagree, but I highly doubt it would have much to do with it. There are a few self righeous folks out there, but at the end of the day it's all about money. Don't kid yourself.
08-20-2009 02:35 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
The Big East doesn't want to get the bad publicity that would come with Memphis right now. Maybe after the probationary period is over the Big East would talk to them again. Of course, that could be too late.
08-20-2009 02:37 PM
SilverPhoenix Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: CAA, A10, BE
Here is my question. Who knew what? Who knew that Rose cheated?

If Memphis knew, then they got what they deserved, if justice and retribution were handed out equally to every offending party of the rules that NCAA sets out, which sadly isn't the case.

If Calipari knew on his own dime, never telling anyone else in the University (equivalent to a total blindside), then Calipari needs to be the one holding a HUGE majority of the punishment. In fact, he should be suspended, and then "show-claused" to death. Memphis should get off with only a fraction of the punishment they got today, if anything at all.

And just as an aside, if that retard of an AD knew as well, then he needs to be hanged, and Memphis doesn't get a cent of the Tournament money.

If this is an NCAA Clearinghouse error, then the Clearinghouse needs to be cleared of all of the crap, and Memphis needs to sue and sue big time.

Personally, this looks like it's more on the latter, and not the former. The NCAA gets a GIANT black eye due to today's events.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 02:57 PM by SilverPhoenix.)
08-20-2009 02:56 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
After bombing the ACT 3 times in Chicago, he changed his handwritting and drove to Detroit to pass the SAT with flying colors. Nothing to see here. Move along. 03-wink

This was harsh. Still say it had as much to do with Cal and WWW telling everyone to go to hell as long as they did as it did Rose's magic act when it came to standardized testing.

Lets just kill all the Memphis expansion talk. Zero chance the BE brings in a program on probation at the time of the negotiations and then still when they join. Say what you will about the Catholic B-Ball schools but that ship just sailed.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 03:18 PM by rath v2.0.)
08-20-2009 03:12 PM
rferry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Terps, BE bball
(08-20-2009 02:33 PM)Cletus Wrote:  [Image: 2008-ncaa-major-infractions.jpg]

So BYU finally got put on probation. They used to boast they were the only D1 school never to have of their programs in trouble. Not so any more!
08-20-2009 03:18 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Exactly.

Memphis came out of this smelling like a "Rose".

As Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick and other said on the radio today..Memphis really wasn't punished...as the players will ALWAYS remember their Final Four run...fans will always remember that Memphis had a 9 pt lead heading in the final mins against Kansas...Fans will still own their Final Four merchandise/souvenirs, etc...

But Memphis won't lose any scholarships...won't lose any TV games/exposure, won't lose any post-season eligibility, etc...and while its bad publicity today...it certainly doesn't hurt Memphis like some past cases of lost scholarships, post-season bans, etc...that other teams have had to deal with in the past.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 03:37 PM by KnightLight.)
08-20-2009 03:36 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
They should penalize Calipari as well...
08-20-2009 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(08-20-2009 03:55 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  They should penalize Calipari as well...

Was just gonna post this. He has been at the center of two teams busted for NCAA violations. He's the key figure here, the one that is causing the problem. I'm tired of that slimeball ruining one of my favorite sports. He should be banned from being an NCAA coach for life. 04-chairshot
08-20-2009 04:06 PM
arkstfan Online
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(08-20-2009 02:33 PM)Cletus Wrote:  How many Big 6 schools do you see on this list? Makes you wanna go hmmmm?

[Image: 2008-ncaa-major-infractions.jpg]

Quote:Dan Wetzel at YahooSports essentially fires a Bin Laden Determined to Strike in US shot across the bow of the Good Ship NCAA, led by Capt. Myles Brand, for its notably lax invisible investigation and enforcement of NCAA rules among its two revenue cash cow sports, football and basketball.
Wetzel goes on to describe just how toothless the NCAA investigations staff has become in recent years despite its recent expansion. Apparently they’re still quite excellent at catching small-school hopscotch coaches who have the audacity to text recruits outside of the mandated contact periods (check the below list from 2008). But when it comes to the power conference schools who have big money, big boosters, big media and drive the whole ship into port for the NCAA coffers, the investigators are largely missing.

What a joke. We harkened back to this problem when the OJ Mayo allegations came out last spring. With a notorious character like Rodney Guillory hanging around the USC program, how could the NCAA and the LA media have so completely missed it? We’ll buy the fact that newspapers don’t have the proper resources to perform comprehensive investigative journalism while entire newsrooms are shuttering, but the NCAA still has no excuse. Especially when we look at the above list and see what those twenty investigators have been so diligently working on for the past nine months.

In the last 5 years the NCAA has found major infractions in 37 Division I cases that involved football or men's basketball.

16 of the cases involved schools that are BCS AQ football members.

Those schools represent 20% of the entire Division I membership but 43% of all major infractions.

Change the look to all sports and you pick up 2 more infractions by BCS football schools but 20 more by other Division I members, the bulk of them stupid screw-ups involving certifying transcripts and the like, which is not surprising because those schools tend to be underfunded and save their money with understaffed and underfunded compliance offices.
08-20-2009 04:09 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(08-20-2009 02:37 PM)mlb Wrote:  The Big East doesn't want to get the bad publicity that would come with Memphis right now. Maybe after the probationary period is over the Big East would talk to them again. Of course, that could be too late.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Memphis probably will never be a member of the Big East. However, this probation will have absolutely nothing to do with it.
08-20-2009 04:20 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

But Calipari, officially, has never lead a team to a Final Four. Wow. And now, Memphis can't hang the NCAA Finals Runner-up banner or ven acknowledge it in their programs. I mean, that is brutal.
08-20-2009 04:57 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Why is anyone surprised this happened again on Calipari's watch? I have said the guy does not play fair. His best buddy is World Wide Wes. I am sure he knew something when he took that Kentucky job. In a few years, we will see the same situation at Kentucky.

That being said, Calhoun is up against Calipari on number of upcoming recruits. We will see what will happen. With all those special interest groups on Calipari's side, I wonder if UCONN can overcome all that.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2009 05:59 PM by SF Husky.)
08-20-2009 05:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Calipari is a snake and Memphis knew it when they hired him as well as Kentucky now. Lets see if the NCAA keeps a close watch on what he does at UK.
Memphis AD should be also part of the blame and that will not look good for Memphis in their bid to join BE. As long as that guy is your AD I think Memphis has no shot.
08-20-2009 05:57 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
brutal ruling.....and yet tO$U and the U$C's do whatever the frick they want and get no punishment...that just pisses me off. I wish the BE could pull out of the NCAA and make a new association with whoever else wants to pull out.....
08-20-2009 06:20 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.