Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
More rumors...
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
More rumors...
-- Does this guy have any crediablility Uconn fans?

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/...ns-fu.html

Jackson
08-18-2009 10:54 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
RE: More rumors...
Yes. He is an awesome UCONN football blogger. He works for CT's Courant newspaper. He is not a chump like half of those homer fans out there with a blog. He actually get paid for writing about UCONN football.
08-19-2009 12:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Hmmm... I don't know... Would BC bring in extra bowl revenue (see Quo Vadis' recnet analyses on that) in the form of a New England Bowl? 03-nerner
08-19-2009 01:28 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
It always made more sense for BC to be in the Big East, and that did not suddenly change in October 2003.

But at this point, a lot of awfully powerful, ego-driven men would have to eat an awful lot of crow in order to get BC out of the ACC. Not a dish they have shown much appetite for in the past.

Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

Check back in 2030.
08-19-2009 02:49 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
BC can stay in the ACC. BE does not need them back. I rather see Delaware/UMASS go D-1A or Temple build a real football program before I see BC back in the BE.
08-19-2009 03:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
People can shoot me all they want but Memphis and ECU bring more to the Big East than Maryland and BC. All Maryland and BC have is more prestige and thats it. Memphis is a better hoops school and ECU is about the same with BC in football. I don't see Maryland and BC bringing a bowl unless its a NYC Bowl. Memphis brings a bowl. Raiding the ACC won't bring any more respect to the Big East. Neither of those schools will make our tv deals any bigger than they are now. I just don't see the advanteges of bring Maryland and BC unless PSU and eventually Notre Dame was in the future. And we all know the chances of that. So why not move in another direction.

And as for this UConn blogger. Isn't he the same guy that proposed a Big East/Big Ten or Big East/ACC merger?
08-19-2009 06:15 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
As I have said many times before. I realize that some BE schools have ties to BC and that they are in geographical area. I also realize that they are good academic wise and have had good success lately in both football and basketball.
BUT
Im concerned about a few things
1. How much of the Boston market do they really bring.
2. Attendance in both football and basketball is low and dont see a future where it would improve dramatically. Hell if you are that good now and thats the best you can do what will happen if you struggle?
3. Does not improve the league's reputation on traveling fan base.

So athletically I see many question marks on how much BC could really help BE. I wouldnt want to lose ANY current BE team just to get BC back.
08-19-2009 06:22 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
(08-19-2009 06:15 AM)animus Wrote:  People can shoot me all they want but Memphis and ECU bring more to the Big East than Maryland and BC. All Maryland and BC have is more prestige and thats it.

Prestige counts for alot. There's a reason 2 of those schools are in a lucrative BCS conference and 2 of them are in a poor non-BCS league. BC & Maryland to the Big East strengthens the conference. ECU & Memphis to the conference makes it look more like C-USA.
08-19-2009 06:25 AM
rferry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Terps, BE bball
This is the problem with newspapers utilizing blogs. Their writers neglect to self-edit. He lops off half of a sentence.

"It's just a rumor I'm hearing. It's just a rumor I'm. Did I mention it was a rumor I'm hearing?"

What does the middle sentence mean? What did he intend to write? If I may, I suspect the ending of that sentence was "It's just a rumor I'm making up in an effort to spark conversation and interest in my blog and paper now that the season is about to start." A bit run on, yes, but like I said: he needs an editor.
08-19-2009 07:01 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(08-19-2009 07:01 AM)rferry Wrote:  This is the problem with newspapers utilizing blogs. Their writers neglect to self-edit. He lops off half of a sentence.

"It's just a rumor I'm hearing. It's just a rumor I'm. Did I mention it was a rumor I'm hearing?"

What does the middle sentence mean? What did he intend to write? If I may, I suspect the ending of that sentence was "It's just a rumor I'm making up in an effort to spark conversation and interest in my blog and paper now that the season is about to start." A bit run on, yes, but like I said: he needs an editor.

I was confused by that statement as well. Maybe he was trying to say that he is somehow in the scheme of things which I doubt.
08-19-2009 07:04 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(08-19-2009 06:22 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  As I have said many times before. I realize that some BE schools have ties to BC and that they are in geographical area. I also realize that they are good academic wise and have had good success lately in both football and basketball.
BUT
Im concerned about a few things
1. How much of the Boston market do they really bring.
2. Attendance in both football and basketball is low and dont see a future where it would improve dramatically. Hell if you are that good now and thats the best you can do what will happen if you struggle?
3. Does not improve the league's reputation on traveling fan base.

So athletically I see many question marks on how much BC could really help BE. I wouldnt want to lose ANY current BE team just to get BC back.

1. Probably not much, but there football ratings have been solid during the Matt Ryan era. Definatly would help with the next tv contract

2. The football fans base is probably about the same size as UCs, but it doesn't have near the bball support that that the Bearcats do. Frankly, in terms of Catholic schools, BC bball fanbase probably isn't close to Marquette, Nova or G-Town in terms of size

3. No

It seems to me that BC would easily get the votes to be added, while I can see ECU/Memphis/UCF really struggling for support from the non football members

With that being said, BE football doesn't produce near enough revenue to warrent the shift. I find it odd that I somemany people that are "plugged in" are hearing these rumors. I can only see BC coming back in in a move that is coupled by Miami coming back, or ND joining etc. BC alone isn't going to make up the differnence in revenue

Quote:This is the problem with newspapers utilizing blogs. Their writers neglect to self-edit. He lops off half of a sentence.

I think what he was going for if:

"Its just a rumor I'm hearing. Its just a rumor I'm hearing. Did I mention it was a rumor I'm hearing.

Jackson
08-19-2009 07:28 AM
Advertisement

rferry Offline
Special Teams

BTW, check out the comments. Gets very upset that he can't check the substance of rumors because he's a blogger, not a reporter.
08-19-2009 07:52 AM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
IF BC went back to the BE, there is NO way ECU or UCF goes to the ACC.

The non-North Carolina ACC members wouldn't want a fifth NC member centralizing the power even more in this state. PLUS the NC ACC members wouldn't want to dilute their athletic/student picks even further.

As with UCF, I don't see them on the same level as the ACC. Plus I don't see FSU and Miami going for that.

What I see happening is the ACC pick off another BE school. Either their original pick of Syracuse or a more "southern" Rutgers or UConn.

The ACC will stay at 12 and the BE will stay at 8.
08-19-2009 08:17 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(08-19-2009 08:17 AM)PGPirate Wrote:  IF BC went back to the BE, there is NO way ECU or UCF goes to the ACC.

The non-North Carolina ACC members wouldn't want a fifth NC member centralizing the power even more in this state. PLUS the NC ACC members wouldn't want to dilute their athletic/student picks even further.

As with UCF, I don't see them on the same level as the ACC. Plus I don't see FSU and Miami going for that.

What I see happening is the ACC pick off another BE school. Either their original pick of Syracuse or a more "southern" Rutgers or UConn.

The ACC will stay at 12 and the BE will stay at 8.

If the Big East takes BC it'll most likely bring Maryland with them. Then I highly doubt the ACC will play a championship game again because I don't see the NC schools wanting to jump to 12 again. Remember the key hint of IF. Because I just don't see this happening.
08-19-2009 08:19 AM
rferry Offline
Special Teams

BC couldn't move Maryland, Penn State could though.

Surprisingly, Boston College hasn't clicked with Maryland fans. (Maybe that's because they didn't come with then rumored Syracuse and the TV network.) No northern rivalry has developed.
If Maryland is considered Alaska to the Carolina schools, then BC is considered Mars by Maryland and Pluto by the rest. It must be the money, not bonds, that is keeping BC in the ACC.
08-19-2009 08:36 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(08-19-2009 08:36 AM)rferry Wrote:  It must be the money, not bonds, that is keeping BC in the ACC.

And, as stated, bitterness and stubborness (on both sides).
08-19-2009 08:40 AM
Advertisement

Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think it would be very difficult for the ACC to get enough votes to add 2 more schools if BC & Maryland left for the Big East. UNC, Duke, & UVA didn't want to expand the last time. I also don't see Maryland leaving just because BC leaves. If the improbable did occur and BC & Maryland left for the Big East, it wouldn't surprise me if the SEC went after a couple ACC schools like FlaSt and Clemson. If that were to happen, the ACC would be in a tight spot.
08-19-2009 08:43 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
If BC leaves I think they'd be leaving alone unless of course it was part of a larger shift where Penn State was coming back east in which case Maryland and Miami are probably headed with them. The ACC would be back to a 9 team league with absolutely no reason to go beyond that. If the the SEC were to go to 14 teams in all of this, they'd probably go after FSU and Virginia Tech. Clemson adds nothing for them, Virginia Tech definitely adds something. The Big Ten would end up doing the same to keep up probably adding Notre Dame at last along with Missouri and Nebraska. If not ND they'd probably take Kentucky and the SEC would take UNC. Yes UNC would leave the sinking ship and the history/tradition for the money, stability and exposure. We'd probably have to do something similar but I'm not sure where the teams come from, perhaps we'd pick off UVA and Georgia Tech. Then it would just be Duke, Wake, NC State, Clemson left. I'd guess that they'd have to raid CUSA and Sun Belt schools to form a conference. Perhaps a 12 teamer including Marshall, ECU, USM, UAB, Tulane, Memphis, UCF and FIU.

Main point is the only thing that has a legit chance of happening is BC leaving the ACC possibly with Miami or Maryland in lock step. The rest of it is all just fantasy or something.
08-19-2009 09:20 AM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(08-19-2009 09:20 AM)brista21 Wrote:  If BC leaves I think they'd be leaving alone unless of course it was part of a larger shift where Penn State was coming back east in which case Maryland and Miami are probably headed with them. The ACC would be back to a 9 team league with absolutely no reason to go beyond that. If the the SEC were to go to 14 teams in all of this, they'd probably go after FSU and Virginia Tech. Clemson adds nothing for them, Virginia Tech definitely adds something. The Big Ten would end up doing the same to keep up probably adding Notre Dame at last along with Missouri and Nebraska. If not ND they'd probably take Kentucky and the SEC would take UNC. Yes UNC would leave the sinking ship and the history/tradition for the money, stability and exposure. We'd probably have to do something similar but I'm not sure where the teams come from, perhaps we'd pick off UVA and Georgia Tech. Then it would just be Duke, Wake, NC State, Clemson left. I'd guess that they'd have to raid CUSA and Sun Belt schools to form a conference. Perhaps a 12 teamer including Marshall, ECU, USM, UAB, Tulane, Memphis, UCF and FIU.

Main point is the only thing that has a legit chance of happening is BC leaving the ACC possibly with Miami or Maryland in lock step. The rest of it is all just fantasy or something.

Explain please why Clemson adds nothing for them?

08-19-2009 09:26 AM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
It would tickle me purple if BC and UMD went to the BE. And in a perceived time of weakness, the SEC picked off two ACC schools (Fla St, Clemson, VA Tech or Ga Tech). I don't know what an ACC-8 would do.

But, I don't see UMD leaving. Too much history.
08-19-2009 09:26 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.