subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Richard Skinner weighs in on the Lance signing
IMO he got it right.

1. UC lands recruit with troubled past
The Skinny: If Lance Stephenson was the second or third or 10th or 20th recruit with a troubled past (and a cloudy present academically) that University of Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin had taken a chance on, it would be worthy of criticism. But Cronin is allowed to take this one risk. Cronin and his staff have done a great job solidifying the shaky Academic Progress Rate situation at UC. Based on fans wringing their hands over the lack of winning, Cronin deserves to take a shot on a player this talented no matter the baggage. If it doesn't work out, hopefully Cronin won't take many more chances in the future. If it does work out, it probably puts UC back on the basketball map.

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/200.../907050364

07-05-2009 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Richard Skinner weighs in on the Lance signing
Amazingly balanced, coming from that Kentucky boy.

07-05-2009 12:02 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Maybe I'm missing something but what is this "baggage" that everyone keeps talking about? Other than his pending misdemeanor case where's the baggage? Sure the kids probably got a big ego with all the hype that has surrounded him over the past several years but people talk about baggage like the kid is a serial criminal. If the media hype and the kids attitude is what all the concerns are about I'm not getting to worried. I welcome a kid who has a passion for winning and brings along some much needed media attention. If I am missing something here please inform me.

07-06-2009 07:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
I think some people say he has an attitude problem, his father is overbearing, the charge, and the potential amature status question are what's making people make those comments. I think part of it is when you're famous people either love or hate you. The truth in this matter is probably somewhere inbetween.

07-06-2009 08:31 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I wonder how much of this negative hype machine was created by the fact taht Dad absdolutely cut the New York media off from access to his son. Often, the articles sound personal in nature. Like P-Doc back in the day with Huggs.

07-06-2009 08:48 AM
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
So the bottom line is Lance's baggage is like global warming....fabricated with no real basis of fact.

07-06-2009 08:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
I'd rather have a kid who actually has a father around and involved than vice verse. I don't get how Lance has "baggage" either beyond this pending public groping case which sounds really odd.

07-06-2009 09:06 AM
Advertisement

Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(07-06-2009 08:57 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  So the bottom line is Lance's baggage is like global warming....fabricated with no real basis of fact.

A real solution - we should have the Dance Team check Lance's baggage. That may keep him from being one and done.

07-06-2009 09:51 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-06-2009 08:48 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I wonder how much of this negative hype machine was created by the fact taht Dad absdolutely cut the New York media off from access to his son. Often, the articles sound personal in nature. Like P-Doc back in the day with Huggs.

By the way, Daugherty has a serious ego and overinflated sense of his own self-worth. He was the one that made it personal against Huggins. Then, when Kelly came to town he was the first one to have a confrontational meeting with Kelly, and then, basically, trashing Kelly the next day in an article because Kelly had the gall to ask a Cincinnati news paper to cover a Cincinnati team.

07-06-2009 05:35 PM
DP3113 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(07-06-2009 07:55 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Maybe I'm missing something but what is this "baggage" that everyone keeps talking about? Other than his pending misdemeanor case where's the baggage? Sure the kids probably got a big ego with all the hype that has surrounded him over the past several years but people talk about baggage like the kid is a serial criminal. If the media hype and the kids attitude is what all the concerns are about I'm not getting to worried. I welcome a kid who has a passion for winning and brings along some much needed media attention. If I am missing something here please inform me.

whether he is guilty or not, anytime a player gets a "sexual assault" charge against them, that will be considered baggage regardless of the validity.

07-06-2009 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.