BE and nfl draft
04-22-2009 05:58 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
RE: BE and nfl draft
It will be interesting day for the BE. UCONN could have the biggest day in the draft. As many as 6 or 7 UCONN players could be drafted. If this is the case, it will be history making for the program. There could also be at least 3 or 4 UCONN players taken in the 1st two rounds.
04-22-2009 08:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It's a good testament for Edsell. Imagine how recruiting rankings will improve when players see what he can do with little regarded recruits...
04-22-2009 08:54 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2009 08:54 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  It's a good testament for Edsell. Imagine how recruiting rankings will improve when players see what he can do with little regarded recruits...

Exactly right. Edsall has developed players while they are at UCONN. It should only help his recruiting going forward. Perhaps down the road when UCONN makes an offer, the kid will be an auto 3 star LOL vs. the usual no star or 1 star.

Perhaps the best compliment below is from Patriots coach Belichick. I think that guy knows a thing or two about quality of football players.

Quote:"They are really impressive. Randy Edsall has done a great job. They have won a lot of games, have a lot of good players. They have them on both sides of the ball... at the skill positions, offensive linemen, both sides of the ball. Safety, qb, tight end, wr...A lot of real interesting guys...not all are 1st round picks but they have players. What is the highest player they ever had drafted? Fincher, the lb in the 3rd round? I would say that should get shattered this weekend. You don't usually go to Connecticut looking for first and second round talent."

Here is video of Belichick's comments: http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/inde...3&pcid=155

His comment is towards end of the video.

Here is a summary of potential UCONN players in the draft along with other CT players. http://silversdailydish.blogspot.com/

The good thing is cup is hardly bare at UCONN. UCONN is loaded with NFL type talent, especially on the defense side. All 3 starting LBs from UCONN next year could play in the league in a few years.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2009 09:12 PM by SF Husky.)
04-22-2009 09:04 PM
Advertisement

BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
so rutgers has been playing football longer than any other school, and has less draft picks than the 12 year old USF program

kinda dissapointing numbers all around, the other bcs conferences kill us in nfl draft picks... obviously because we get substantially less of the elite high school recruits
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2009 09:39 PM by BullsBEAST.)
04-22-2009 09:38 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-22-2009 09:38 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  so rutgers has been playing football longer than any other school, and has less draft picks than the 12 year old USF program

kinda dissapointing numbers all around, the other bcs conferences kill us in nfl draft picks... obviously because we get substantially less of the elite high school recruits

Rutgers has been the laughing stock of college football for the majority of their history, so the number is not surprising.

Other BCS conferences also have way more teams so it is not exactly a fair comparison. Also, majority of these NFL draftees came from major traditional programs like Texas, USC and Ohio St. It is not like most of the B10 teams are full of NFL draftees either.

Hopefully, in the coming years, other BE teams will produce more NFL talent.
04-23-2009 12:53 AM
uconnbaseball Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Divorce, Rivals
The Parliament Awards
(04-22-2009 09:04 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(04-22-2009 08:54 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  It's a good testament for Edsell. Imagine how recruiting rankings will improve when players see what he can do with little regarded recruits...

Exactly right. Edsall has developed players while they are at UCONN. It should only help his recruiting going forward. Perhaps down the road when UCONN makes an offer, the kid will be an auto 3 star LOL vs. the usual no star or 1 star.

Perhaps the best compliment below is from Patriots coach Belichick. I think that guy knows a thing or two about quality of football players.

Quote:"They are really impressive. Randy Edsall has done a great job. They have won a lot of games, have a lot of good players. They have them on both sides of the ball... at the skill positions, offensive linemen, both sides of the ball. Safety, qb, tight end, wr...A lot of real interesting guys...not all are 1st round picks but they have players. What is the highest player they ever had drafted? Fincher, the lb in the 3rd round? I would say that should get shattered this weekend. You don't usually go to Connecticut looking for first and second round talent."

Here is video of Belichick's comments: http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/inde...3&pcid=155

His comment is towards end of the video.

Here is a summary of potential UCONN players in the draft along with other CT players. http://silversdailydish.blogspot.com/

The good thing is cup is hardly bare at UCONN. UCONN is loaded with NFL type talent, especially on the defense side. All 3 starting LBs from UCONN next year could play in the league in a few years.

Agree, though Lloyd needs to work on his speed. Our LB's are sick...actually, the Big East as a whole is loaded with tremendous linebackers...
04-23-2009 06:49 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Wow, you guys want a little more kool-aid to drink.05-stirthepot
04-23-2009 07:12 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-23-2009 07:12 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Wow, you guys want a little more kool-aid to drink.05-stirthepot

4 UCONN players taken in the 1st day! That's 2nd most in the entire NCAA. I guess we didn't drink enough kool-aid.
04-25-2009 08:50 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(04-25-2009 08:50 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(04-23-2009 07:12 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Wow, you guys want a little more kool-aid to drink.05-stirthepot

4 UCONN players taken in the 1st day! That's 2nd most in the entire NCAA. I guess we didn't drink enough kool-aid.

Why didnt you guys win the Big East? 05-stirthepot
04-25-2009 08:51 PM
Advertisement

UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
(04-22-2009 09:38 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  so rutgers has been playing football longer than any other school, and has less draft picks than the 12 year old USF program

Um you have obviously misread that because it clearly says draft picks of the last 10 years only.
04-25-2009 08:54 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-25-2009 08:51 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(04-25-2009 08:50 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  

Why didnt you guys win the Big East? 05-stirthepot

No passing game LOL. If we had a passing game last year, we would have been good. QB sucked and we had no receivers.

I fully expect they address that issue this year with little drop off on the defense side of the ball. Running game should be great too even after Donald Brown.
04-25-2009 09:01 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
You might think its that easy but you dont replace 4 players drafted in first two rounds just like that.
As we learned last year when our CBs were drafted there was talent behind them but there was a drop off.
But we shall see once season starts later this year.
04-25-2009 09:06 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-25-2009 09:06 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  You might think its that easy but you dont replace 4 players drafted in first two rounds just like that.
As we learned last year when our CBs were drafted there was talent behind them but there was a drop off.
But we shall see once season starts later this year.

It won't be easy. Behind Donald Brown, we have Andre Dixon and Jordan Todman. Our 3rd RB Meme is also very good. Andre Dixon was a 2nd All BE before last year so he can play.

OL might not be as good but I think Edsall has done an excellent job developing this group. There is a ton of talent on this unit.

Darius Butler will be a huge loss. I think CBs behind are excellent but they are not at his level. Jasper Howard is very good and he will improve. I hope he can play like Darius Butler.

It will be interesting to see how this new team will perform. Biggest concern is the QB and WR positions. WR will be very green so who knows how they will do.
04-25-2009 09:12 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.