Thread Closed 
ECU-WVU to continue home-and-home from 2013-18
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
ECU-WVU to continue home-and-home from 2013-18
Lets keep the series up!

link
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2009 05:02 PM by PGPirate.)
04-17-2009 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
RE: ECU-WVA to continue home-and-home from 2013-18
Agreed...that's great news. Any word on where the 2013 game will be played?
04-17-2009 02:46 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The school's name is West Virginia University, so WVU is the proper acronym for the Mountaineers. W.Va. is the abbreviation for the State of West Virginia. By doing it in this way, Mountaineer fans clearly distinguish between the 2 entities...

The article was more about how Marshall feels mistreated because ECU is getting home and home with WVU, and they aren't getting such an offer. But WVU giving home and home to Marshall isn't in the best interest of either school. It's more profitable to hold the game in Morgantown. Milan-Puskar has twice the capacity of Marshall's stadium...
04-17-2009 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(04-17-2009 04:36 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The school's name is West Virginia University, so WVU is the proper acronym for the Mountaineers. W.Va. is the abbreviation for the State of West Virginia. By doing it in this way, Mountaineer fans clearly distinguish between the 2 entities...

The article was more about how Marshall feels mistreated because ECU is getting home and home with WVU, and they aren't getting such an offer. But WVU giving home and home to Marshall isn't in the best interest of either school. It's more profitable to hold the game in Morgantown. Milan-Puskar has twice the capacity of Marshall's stadium...

Plus Marshall is historically a 1-AA until fairly recently and doesn't have a long term rivalry with WVU like ECU does. That's why the "unfair" treatment, its just business basically.
04-17-2009 05:05 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

RE: ECU-WVU to continue home-and-home from 2013-18
Actually, Marshall was in the MAC back in the 1960s, but got booted for continued violations of rules. They eventually ended up a 1-AA school after that...
04-17-2009 05:31 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
If Marshall is as good a program as they think they don't NEED West Virginia, so begging looks pathetic. Cincinnati fans take jabs at Ohio State but we don't need Ohio State, we just like playing them. But if OSU doesn't play us that's their perogative. It would be bush league if politicians forced Ohio State to play us.
04-17-2009 05:33 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(04-17-2009 02:58 PM)KnightChris Wrote:  I agree as well! This seems like a good series for both schools and it's great to see it's on the books for years to come... The crux of the article you linked though seemed to be the different way in which West Virginia treats Marshall and ECU. Apparently West Virginia is perfectly happy to schedule home-and-homes with ECU, but will only accept 2 for 1s with Marshall. That does seem... odd considering both are two of the better programs (historically) in CUSA. I think some Marshall fans might have theories on why the two schools are receiving different treatment.

One other minor note: I think West Virginia fans prefer to be called "WVU" instead of "WVA."

-- It seems to me there are times in business where you treat your "friends" or long term partners differently then others. From the outside looking, I would consider East Carolina WVUs stronges non BE partner. The two schools have played seemingly every sport against each other and have had a long term football relationship that is benefical to both. Marshall is certainly not a friend or a long term partner, and often their administration spews quotes like this that certainly gives the impression that the feel they are owed games simply because they are within the boundries of the state.

Also, WVU is willing to play @ ECU because it serves a purpose. We have a huge alumuni base in North Carolina and that would like to see the Mountaineers reguarly.

However, I would highly doubt that this is the end of the squaking that will be coming from Marshall officals in Huntington. They seem to forget that MU built a hell of a football program without playing WVU. Playing WVU is not a requirement for their program's success. A lot of MU fans seem to acknowledge that fact, just not the administration

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2009 05:36 PM by Jackson1011.)
04-17-2009 05:34 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Any word on a possible game in Charlotte? That would be GREAT!

Jackson
04-17-2009 05:37 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(04-17-2009 05:33 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  If Marshall is as good a program as they think they don't NEED West Virginia, so begging looks pathetic. Cincinnati fans take jabs at Ohio State but we don't need Ohio State, we just like playing them. But if OSU doesn't play us that's their perogative. It would be bush league if politicians forced Ohio State to play us.

Bravo Claw 04-bow I wish so many UC fans would stop paying attention to them 03-puke
04-17-2009 06:59 PM
PirateNation Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
I'm glad to see the series continued. I wouldnt mind a Charlotte game against WVU, if and ONLY if it is in addition to 3 games at each school. If there were to be a charlotte game between ECU and WVU it would have to be atleast 2017 or so as we already have two games planned there.

ECU vs. Virginia Tech last year was the largest crowd (72,169) to ever watch a regular season college game in North Carolina. ECU has had great success in Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

ECU in Charlotte:
ECU 50, NC State 29 (Win)
ECU 30, West Virginia 23 (Win)
NC State 52, ECU 14 (Loss)
ECU 27, #17 Virginia Tech 22 (Win)

Upcoming Games in Charlotte:
2011- ECU vs. South Carolina
2014- ECU vs. South Carolina
04-17-2009 08:38 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Man, this is one mighty strong OOC slate from a marketing/fanbase POV...

ECU Future OOC Opponents
04-18-2009 02:47 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Great series for both schools. Hopefully in the future this rivalry will be extended past 2019 and beyond.
04-18-2009 08:55 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

ECU is a good local OOC opponent. It gives the Mountaineer fanbase in North Carolina a chance to see WVU in person regularly...

I also hope Maryland extends the series with WVU beyond the games scheduled for 2010-11. They're a long time foe, and this is a good OOC rivalry for both. There's just a little better than a couple of hours drive between the 2 schools...

If only the Mountaineers could convince Ohio State and Penn State of similar logic... 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2009 09:27 PM by bitcruncher.)
04-18-2009 09:27 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Hows is your luck with renewing the rivalry with VPI?
04-18-2009 09:46 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Screw VT. They're traitors who think they're better than us now that they're in the ACC. The only time I want to play the Hokies is in bowl games. We can stomp 'em there, and then forget about 'em... 05-mafia

Frankly, I'd rather seek out a rivalry with UVa, than I would with the Hokies...
04-19-2009 08:17 AM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats
East Carolina is a good non-bcs opponent that offers a competetive game,good fan base and a respectable strength of schedule versus playing an FCS school or whatever they call div I-AA nowadays. Kudos to WVU. If you can't get a bcs school then a team like ECU offers a chance to play a high caliber opponent.
04-19-2009 09:26 AM
Advertisement

ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Have any of the WVU-Marshall games ever gotten on ESPN/ESPN2?
The other nice thing about ECU-WVU is that the last several games have been on ESPN or ESPN2. Except for '05; I believe that was the ESPN game of the week in all of the Big East markets. (Also aired locally in Greenville on WITN). But.....still good tv exposure.
04-19-2009 11:15 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

WVU-Marshall has been a regional telecast on one of the ESPN channels. I forget which. It's never been more than regional though...
04-19-2009 11:33 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(04-18-2009 09:46 PM)animus Wrote:  Hows is your luck with renewing the rivalry with VPI?

No, there is a lot of animiosity on both sides. There was talk a few yrs ago about WVU/Va Tech playing a few games in DC in the same way UGA and FLa play there games in Jacksonville, but nothing ever came of it. Hard feelings are from the ACC raid, Va Tech's open refusal to continue the basketball series etc. I'm sure WVUs new emphasis with recruiting in Va doesn't help matters

Quote:Have any of the WVU-Marshall games ever gotten on ESPN/ESPN2?

-- The game in Huntington two yrs ago was on ESPN 2, but the kickeoff was one of the those god-awfull starts at 10:30 or 11 AM, basically when everyone else is watching gameday on ESPN. I am sure this is point of frustration at the WV governor's office who basically promised the game would be of great national interest ever yr.

Jackson
04-19-2009 12:43 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

King Joe has been wrong more than once that I can think of, Jackson. How about you?
04-19-2009 12:57 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.