Thread Closed 
Flynn Signed With An Agent
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Flynn Signed With An Agent
Cuse 0-3
Flynn, Devo and Harris all gone
Goodbye #1 preseason hello also receiving votes.
04-13-2009 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Flynn Signed With An Agent
Good news for the rest of the league... :)
04-13-2009 12:06 PM
Find all posts by this user
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Linky

03-weeping 03-banghead 03-weeping 03-weeping 03-banghead 03-hissyfit :sylviaplath: 03-weeping 03-weeping 03-banghead 03-hissyfit
04-13-2009 12:08 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Watch out APR.
04-13-2009 12:11 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

(04-13-2009 12:08 PM)zibby Wrote:  Linky

03-weeping 03-banghead 03-weeping 03-weeping 03-banghead 03-hissyfit :sylviaplath: 03-weeping 03-weeping 03-banghead 03-hissyfit

I am not surprised that Flynn has signed with an agent. The pressure that these agents put on the kids is ridiculous. The agents get a cut of the contract they negotiate so its like sharks circling blood in the water. This is the agents meal ticket so you got to believe they are going to be pulling out all the stops to get him to sign. They will do what ever it takes to get them to sign.
Without a strong family presence it would be hard for a young kid like Jonny to say no to all the pressure of the agents. If I were advising Jonny I would say wait until after the draft evaluations by the NBA teams. There is no benefit to signing with an agent before these evaluations. Anyways, I am not advising him but I really believe he will be drafted in the 1st round in the top 20 picks in the draft so I do not think it is a big mistake. I am sure the agents have reminded him that if he gets injured who is going to take care of his family. They pull all of this psychological stuff on the kids.
I wish him well, and I think Jonny is going to do well in the NBA and become a millionaire very soon.
04-13-2009 12:19 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(04-13-2009 11:36 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Cuse 0-3
Flynn, Devo and Harris all gone
Goodbye #1 preseason hello also receiving votes.

Woe is me. 03-weeping
04-13-2009 12:24 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Oh well, it was nice to have dreams of a Final Four season next year.

We'll be starting from just inside the Top 25 to just outside of it now.

Hopefully we'll be a Sweet 16 team again next year.

Best of luck Jonny.

Cheers,
Neil
04-13-2009 03:43 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Then again if he gets injured during his 1st pro game who's going to pay for his education?
04-13-2009 08:22 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Villanova and WVU are in the driver's seat now... 04-rock
04-13-2009 09:12 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

(04-13-2009 08:22 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  Then again if he gets injured during his 1st pro game who's going to pay for his education?

NBA contracts are guaranteed for 1st rounders. If he gets injured, then the insurance companies will have to pay Jonny his millions. They are slotted in pay depending on where they get drafted.
The next collective agreement may be different though as the NBA is talking tough due to the poor economy.
04-13-2009 11:36 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Flynn made the right decision. Devo and Harris probably won't get drafted. I wonder who gave those 2 advice. They both should come back to the Cuse. I hope they did not hire any agent.
04-14-2009 12:53 AM
Advertisement

frogman Offline
1st String

Sorry fellas. The article I read said he PLANNED to sign . Planned to sign does not mean sign. How long does it take to write your name? He's got a good agent and that's what I would do. the agent will still be there next sesason.

Flynn is wise to set it up but what he does depends on what Willie Warren, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson and Jeff Teague do. All these PGs have a good shot at bumping Flynn down the chain. They all have a few inches on him and there are alot of PGs out there this year. Last year UNC players flirted with the draft, tested the waters but came back. I'm not just hoping but I honestly don't think Syracuse players are strong enough to enter the draft and if Curry and Teague enter, Flynn stays. Flynn did not have a great year- He had a very good year. He's not a national name like Curry is. Curry goes for sure because his name is still hot. I still say Flynn comes back to improve his stock. Teague goes because he had an incredible year and Wake will probably suck next year with the rest of the ACC. HArris and Devendorf probably can't find an agent who will waste his time with them. They're not money in the bank.

Flynn's agent will make his money this year or next year or the year after that. Flynn's agent is the guy who signed Lebron James. Doesn't matter to him what Flynn does. He's probably got 30 prospects lined up and enough money in the bank already that he can eat at Red Lobster for the rest of his life. I dont' think the agent pressures Flynn to sign this year but pressures Flynn to stick with the agent.

It's a big decision for Flynn. Making hte Lottery (next year) could lead to a more comfortable spot in a pro team's lineup. I think Donte Green is averaging 13 minutes and 3.9 points in Sacremento. In five years Green may be back at Syracuse- finishing up his degree.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2009 06:06 AM by frogman.)
04-14-2009 05:40 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

When I wrote it the Syr.com blog said he signed...they changed it. Still barring a miracle the kid is gone.
04-14-2009 07:48 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(04-14-2009 12:53 AM)SF Husky Wrote:  Flynn made the right decision. Devo and Harris probably won't get drafted. I wonder who gave those 2 advice. They both should come back to the Cuse. I hope they did not hire any agent.

According to this article posted by Orangeeyes on the Scout Board, Paul harris says he never wanted to declare for the NBA Draft. There is some real confusion going on at the Cuse:

Harris didn't plan to go pro
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 By Mike WatersStaff writer

Syracuse University junior Paul Harris said last week's university-prepared releaseÕ7HarrisÕ announcing that he would enter his name in the NBA Draft went out without his knowledge.

The statement, which was released last Thursday, said that Harris along with teammates Jonny Flynn and Eric Devendorf planned to enter their names in the 2009 NBA Draft. Flynn and Devendorf have since confirmed their plans.

However, Harris called The Post-Standard on Monday night to say that he had not planned on entering his name along with the rest of the draft's early entries.

"I didn't know a thing about it," Harris said of the release. "I didn't do that. I don't have a clue who actually did it."

Harris, a 6-foot-5 forward, averaged 12.0 points and 8.1 rebounds this past season. Harris said he hasn't talked to Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim since the Orange's season came to an end with a loss to Oklahoma in the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16 on March 27. Therein lies the problem, apparently.

Reached on Monday night, Boeheim said he and his

coaching staff had tried repeatedly to contact Harris, regarding his intentions concerning the draft. According to Boeheim, Harris had gone home to Niagara Falls and never returned telephone calls from the SU coaches. Boeheim also said that Harris had indicated to him during the tournament that he planned on leaving school after the season.

"He told me that the week before the Oklahoma game," Boeheim said. "It's been two weeks since then and he hasn't returned a phone call. We only released it because that's what he indicated to me."

Harris said the release should not have included his name without his express consent.

"I had a friend call me up and tell me it was on the ESPN scroll," he said.

Harris said he now plans to go ahead and enter his name in the draft.

"It's already out there so I might as well," Harris said. "I'll be back in Syracuse tomorrow (Tuesday). I've missed some classes, but I don't want to drop out. I'll finish up and I'll be working out, too."

Boeheim emphasized that Harris is not being forced out. He said if Harris wants to return to Syracuse for his senior season, he's welcome.

"We have no desire to force him out at all," Boeheim said. "If he's changed his mind, he doesn't have to put his name in. We don't know that they (Harris, Flynn and Devendorf) put their names in, only that they planned to. And as long as they don't sign with an agent, any of them can come back."
04-14-2009 08:11 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
Flynn is a Ty Lawson clone.
04-14-2009 09:30 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Flynn may not be NBA ready right off the bat. But he's d@mn close. I'll be glad to see the last of him...
04-14-2009 01:17 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Online
Legend

Here is the rumor...LeBron is brokering the deal. The Knicks will draft Flynn and then LeBron will go to the Knicks after next season.
04-14-2009 03:42 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Interesting rumor. If true, the Knicks are suddenly relevant again - and the local fanbase will go absolutely nuts...
04-14-2009 04:37 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

(04-14-2009 04:37 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Interesting rumor. If true, the Knicks are suddenly relevant again - and the local fanbase will go absolutely nuts...

For those that may not be aware of this but Lebron James is quite the business man. Amazing stuff for someone who did not graduate from college but he really has vision. His agent is actually some friends that he grew up with. They educated themselves and manage his affairs. Lebron is trying to become the 1st billionaire athlete. I think I read that in Time or Newsweek. Bottomline is that Lebron ownes the company that the agent is apart of. If you look at his last commercial with State Farm, the other guys in the commercial are his buddies which are part of his company. There was a piece about him in 60 minutes a few weeks ago.
04-14-2009 09:05 PM
frogman Offline
1st String

(04-14-2009 09:05 PM)tj_2009 Wrote:  
(04-14-2009 04:37 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Interesting rumor. If true, the Knicks are suddenly relevant again - and the local fanbase will go absolutely nuts...

For those that may not be aware of this but Lebron James is quite the business man. Amazing stuff for someone who did not graduate from college but he really has vision. His agent is actually some friends that he grew up with. They educated themselves and manage his affairs. Lebron is trying to become the 1st billionaire athlete. I think I read that in Time or Newsweek. Bottomline is that Lebron ownes the company that the agent is apart of. If you look at his last commercial with State Farm, the other guys in the commercial are his buddies which are part of his company. There was a piece about him in 60 minutes a few weeks ago.

Really interesting. The Knicks have the eighth pick in the draft this year- probably a higher pick next year based on their increasing suckability. (cant believe there are seven teams worse than the Knicks). But, frankly, NYC is the market James can become a billionaire in. For many years the NBA knew NYC is it's top money market. In fact, when Patrick Ewing became the first lottery pick for the NBA, those many years ago, the Knicks were not expected to get the first pick- the odds were against them but presto, the Kincks got the top pick and got Ewing. Now they got their sights set on stealing James.
When the Rockets beat the Knicks for the NBA title, the players for the rockets complained because they only did a few interviews. Had the Knicks won it would have looked like a national holiday in New York.

Flynn would take that deal. He was born in Niagra N.Y. which I think is like out there by Buffalo so he gets to stay close to family.

But it does bring into question how much influence an agent has on the makeup of a pro team. If the agent can control or manipulate the draft how is that good for the NBA. WHen James becomes a "free agent" well, he's hardly free. The behind the scenes game may be more crafty than the what goes on on the court.

On the bright side, James and Flynn on the Knicks just made recruiting out of NYC and surrounding big cities a lot easier for Syracuse. (I'm assuming the Knicks would be winning some games. DOn't usually use Knicks and winning in the same sentence.) Flynn on the Knicks is a bigger deal for Syracuse than that Carmelo kid out in Denver. Most New Yorkers may begin to even realize that Syracuse is in their state.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2009 09:10 AM by frogman.)
04-15-2009 09:05 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.