Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
ESPN offering operators Classic-for-ESPNU swap
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
ESPN offering operators Classic-for-ESPNU swap
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61982

ESPN sees the decline in value of Classic vs. the rise of ESPNU and wants to get the U on more tiers. Classic has very little value, except for some of the live soccer that it has been airing.
03-30-2009 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

EvilVodka1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FSUfan/LSUalum
RE: ESPN offering operators Classic-for-ESPNU swap
ESPN Classic has been a complete disappointment IMO...

everytime the bowl season starts, NFL playoffs start, March Madness starts, any type of sporting event with national/world recognition gets underway, ESPN Classic should be cranking out previous seasons non-stop, 24 hours...it happens a little, but often there's crap on ESPN classic

like right now, ESPN classic should be cranking out previous final four classic match-ups non-stop...it should be a historical orgy

As of today, they're showing:
something on bowling...wow...
OReilly NHRA spring nationals
4:00 pm: '85 National Championship: Villanova vs. Georgetown!!!!!!!!!
SoccerNet press pass
7:00 pm: 2002 World Series game 6
2008 classic boxing
Sportscentury - Bobby Bowden
AWA Wrestling lol

Seriously...who makes a TV schedule like that? and they wonder why their ratings suck? The channel should be oozing previous college bball games at this moment in time
03-30-2009 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-30-2009 01:27 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  ESPN Classic has been a complete disappointment IMO...

everytime the bowl season starts, NFL playoffs start, March Madness starts, any type of sporting event with national/world recognition gets underway, ESPN Classic should be cranking out previous seasons non-stop, 24 hours...it happens a little, but often there's crap on ESPN classic

like right now, ESPN classic should be cranking out previous final four classic match-ups non-stop...it should be a historical orgy

As of today, they're showing:
something on bowling...wow...
OReilly NHRA spring nationals
4:00 pm: '85 National Championship: Villanova vs. Georgetown!!!!!!!!!
SoccerNet press pass
7:00 pm: 2002 World Series game 6
2008 classic boxing
Sportscentury - Bobby Bowden
AWA Wrestling lol

Seriously...who makes a TV schedule like that? and they wonder why their ratings suck? The channel should be oozing previous college bball games at this moment in time

Don't forget about all of those World Series of Poker re-runs.
03-30-2009 02:07 PM
Advertisement

ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I think this easily sums it up:

"The channel, which launched in the spring of 2005, has been at the center of ESPN’s most recent media deals. ESPNU will pick up a significant part of ESPN’s SEC schedule and is expected to run shoulder programming that supports ESPN’s BCS package."

This is obviously a BCS and SEC driven move.
03-30-2009 02:34 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Or some ancient boxing match.
03-30-2009 02:35 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
They should just convert Classic into ESPN3 and make it fully HD as well. If they want to run classic sports blocks during the day and keep it consistent with what the main sport of the time of year is great. Otherwise use it to showcase more live sporting events like European Soccer, MLS, College Baseball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Minor League Baseball (AA and AAA clearly), hell get some NHL games back on there too.
03-30-2009 03:36 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If ESPN puts SEC games on ESPNU, any provider not giving ESPNU with their basic package will lose the south very quickly...

I never liked ESPN Classic. The programming has always been substandard, and those programs that approach the ideal of what the station could be are just rehashes of the same propaganda that ESPN always spouts. If you aren't a long-time historically known national power, your school doesn't have any game worthy of being aired...
03-30-2009 04:54 PM
Advertisement

zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
I thought I read somewhere that ESPN was thinking about re-branding ESPN Classic as ESPN 3...they would still show classic stuff during the morning and day and show live sports at night.

The Classic Sports Network was actually pretty cool before ESPN took it over and ruined it.
03-30-2009 05:23 PM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
works out good for the BE fb.
03-30-2009 06:53 PM
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(03-30-2009 12:32 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61982

ESPN sees the decline in value of Classic vs. the rise of ESPNU and wants to get the U on more tiers. Classic has very little value, except for some of the live soccer that it has been airing.

I see this a great news for college fans.

Concerning Classic... Why doesn't ESPN show "classic sports" most of the time and live college football on Saturday weekends (either ESPN+ games, or games not showcased in markets?)
03-31-2009 08:23 AM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(03-31-2009 08:23 AM)chess Wrote:  
(03-30-2009 12:32 PM)mattsarz Wrote:  http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61982

Concerning Classic... Why doesn't ESPN show "classic sports" most of the time and live college football on Saturday weekends (either ESPN+ games, or games not showcased in markets?)

They kinda do. I remember seeing a lot of Army Football on ESPN Classic this past season.
03-31-2009 02:23 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(03-31-2009 02:23 PM)Murph1 Wrote:  
(03-31-2009 08:23 AM)chess Wrote:  

They kinda do. I remember seeing a lot of Army Football on ESPN Classic this past season.

Over the past 2 or 3 years I've seen Army games on there with the occasional MWC or CUSA matchup snuck in as well. Personally they were getting warmer with that idea.
03-31-2009 02:47 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.