omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Boston Globe ACC Bashing...
ACC - It May NOT Even Be #2

ACC is losing its elite status

By Bob Ryan, Globe Staff | March 29, 2009

My friend John Feinstein posed a simple question.

"Since the [Atlantic Coast Conference] expanded in 2005, how many teams other than Carolina have been to the Final Eight, let alone Final Four?"

Figuring there was no trick involved, I took a very educated guess.

"Ah, none?" I said, full of hope.

"Correct," he declared.

Whew. Glad I passed the test.

But it got me to thinking. What is the real story concerning the balance of power in men's college basketball? I mean, the talk always seems to be centered around the plight of the so-called midmajors, and their quest to secure what they feel are their well-merited at-large spots in the field of 65 on Selection Sunday. And this was a disastrous year for them, with only four of the at-larges going to a school outside the six power conferences, as we like to call the Big East, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Southeastern, and Pac-10.

The chatter this year concerns the Big East, which began play yesterday afternoon with four of its members still alive as we have whittled the field from 65 to eight. There is a very real chance of us waking up tomorrow morning to have a 1985 redux, with three teams carrying the banner of Dave Gavitt's inspired creation into the Final Four. And, please, make no mistake. The Big East is a monument to one man. No one else possessed the foresight, political skills, and downright charm to pull it off.

We know without question that the Big East reigns supreme in 2009. It may not have the eventual champion when the final buzzer sounds in Ford Field a week from tomorrow, but it will have dominated the field.

But what really has been going on in the five years since college basketball's big upheaval, which resulted in Big East charter member Boston College aligning itself with the ACC, and the Big East, responding to football concerns, turning itself into a 16-team monster in basketball?

Here's a breakdown of the available Sweet 16 and Elite Eight slots occupied by the power conferences since 2006, the first year of the expanded, 16-team Big East.

Conference- Sweet 16- Eight 8

Big East 14 8

Big 12 8 6

Pac-10 9 4

ACC 6 3

SEC 6 3

Big Ten 5 2

Now here's a further breakdown. It's interesting to see just how many schools are involved in these slots.

Pac-10 (8): UCLA, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Southern Cal, Washington State, Stanford, and Arizona State.

Big 12 (6): Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri.

Big East (7): Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Villanova, Georgetown, West Virginia, and Syracuse.

Big Ten (5): Illinois, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Ohio State.

SEC (5): Florida, Kentucky, LSU, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee.

ACC (4): North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, and Boston College.

Is it possible the ACC isn't all it thinks it is? Where is Maryland, the 2002 national champion? Where is Clemson? Where is Florida State? Where is Virginia Tech? Where is Miami, which was a No. 2 seed when Boston first welcomed the NCAA as a first- and second-round site in 1999? And, most disturbingly perhaps, where is Wake Forest, a school that takes basketball very seriously? Wake's demise was the biggest shock of this year's tournament, not just that the onetime No. 1-ranked team in the country didn't get out of the first round, but also that Wake was utterly demolished by Cleveland State.

But the ACC really does have a lot of 'splainin' to do. It's not supposed to be a big deal for a conference like that to have someone get to the Elite Eight. Duke players used to think it was in the school charter, but the Blue Devils haven't been there since 2004.

In that period, Big East members Louisville, Connecticut, Villanova, Georgetown, and Pittsburgh all have made it to at least one Elite Eight, with West Virginia and Syracuse making it into the Round of 16. That's deep depth.

Another question: What's going on in the SEC? We know Kentucky is in upheaval, but the league has more problems than just the situation in Lexington. Since Florida won its second national championship in succession two years ago, not a single SEC team has made it to the Elite Eight. For years, the SEC regarded itself as the unappreciated league that would make its big statement at tournament time. But the only statement the league has been making the past two years is, "You're right. We really do stink."

Meanwhile, we folks east of the Sierra Nevadas must listen to the annual bleats of the people in the Pac-10, who believe all of us Eastern sophisticates suffer from a terminal case of "East Coast bias," never recognizing the great achievements of the Pac-10. Now while that league may not be quite as good as its adherents say it is, we must acknowledge its depth. The Pac-10 has had the most widespread representation in the Round of 16 over the past four years, and that doesn't include a decent California team. There is also a pulse once again at Oregon State, where Craig Robinson, the brother-in-law of the hoopster in chief, has brought immediate respectability.

Check out the Big 12. There's lots of quality depth in that league, too. As for the Big Ten, the truth is it's not as good as its propagandists say, but neither is it as boringly woeful as its critics maintain.

So, back to the question that triggered all this. Is the ACC in danger of becoming the next Conference USA? Is Carolina in the process of separating itself from the rest of the league the way John Calipari and Memphis have made themselves an untouchable power in their own league? Yes, I know that Duke actually won the ACC tourney, but it's rather obvious that when Ty Lawson is healthy and ready to play, no one in the ACC, Duke included, can stay with the Tar Heels.

This is not a problem in the Big East. Louisville, UConn, Pitt, Villanova, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Georgetown (two years removed from a Final Four) all can play, and none of them are going away. That Cincinnati-Providence tier isn't bad, either.

Anyway, the ACC had better stop kidding itself. It may not even be No. 2.

Bob Ryan is a Globe columnist and host of the Globe's 10.0 on Boston.com. He can be reached at ryan@globe.com.
03-29-2009 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
RE: Boston Globe ACC Bashing...
I know I have been posting a lot of anti-ACC articles lately, but you know I have been avoiding posting stuff from the NY Times, NY Post, and Philly papers for a reason.

Washington and Boston are suppose to be ACC territory. I find it interesting that both cities are finally beginning to acknowledge what we in New York and Philly have known for a few years now.

The ACC isn't what it used to be in basketball.

Will the ACC regain its luster? Perhaps? But that luster was based far more on 2-teams than the rest. As I've said before, they are the greatest pair of teams a conference will ever have, but I'll take the Big East's multiplicity over that any day.

Cheers,
Neil
03-29-2009 09:36 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Wow, a well-researched, and brutally honest piece about the state of ACC basketball. I love the part where Ryan equates ACC with Conference USA. That's a slap in the face to CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2009 09:41 AM by WacoBearcat.)
03-29-2009 09:37 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It's more of a slap at Memphis. CUSA just happened to be the glove they used...

But the metaphor applies in reverse as well. It's a big forehand slap across the mouth of those proclaiming ACC supremacy...
03-29-2009 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
EvilVodka1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FSUfan/LSUalum
What a bad article...

just a few years ago, half the final 4 was SEC...UCLA has more final 4 appearances than anyone lately

And the ACC still has the most champs this decade, all different teams

Besides meaningless stats (the Big East reached the sweet 16 the most? aren't they the largest conference as well? hmmmm), this article is a bunch of premature babbling unless a Big East team actually wins it all this year, and if the Tar Heels win, well...best conference might as well be meaningless
03-29-2009 02:16 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
and the Big East has 6 different teams making the Final four this decade. As was pointed out in the other post other than UNC the rest of the ACC has been a bust last 4 years in NCAA tourney
03-29-2009 02:34 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-29-2009 02:16 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  What a bad article...

just a few years ago, half the final 4 was SEC...UCLA has more final 4 appearances than anyone lately

Besides meaningless stats (the Big East reached the sweet 16 the most? aren't they the largest conference as well? hmmmm), this article is a bunch of premature babbling unless a Big East team actually wins it all this year, and if the Tar Heels win, well...best conference might as well be meaningless

Largest conference has nothing to do with it. Both the Big Ten and the ACC got just as many bids this year as the Big East despite only being 12 teams instead of 16. Teams have to play well to reach the Sweet 16 and beyond.

And the Tar Heels may very well win the title this year. They've been the favorite for most of the season. It will once again only prove that the ACC has the best PAIR of programs in the history of basketball.

When it was 2/9 that was saying something. But 2/12? Not so much. It's about time the media has come to this realization.

Doesn't cheapen Duke's 10 Final Fours over the past 24 years nor North Carolina's 8 (possibly 9 if they win today). It just is rightfully coming to realize that after those two teams, the rest of the league has been found wanting.

The Big East needs to deal with a whole different issue. It needs to step up and start getting more teams into the Final Four and winning NCs.

Cheers,
Neil
03-29-2009 02:35 PM
EvilVodka1 Offline
2nd String

(03-29-2009 02:35 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  

Largest conference has nothing to do with it. Both the Big Ten and the ACC got just as many bids this year as the Big East despite only being 12 teams instead of 16. Teams have to play well to reach the Sweet 16 and beyond.

And the Tar Heels may very well win the title this year. They've been the favorite for most of the season. It will once again only prove that the ACC has the best PAIR of programs in the history of basketball.

When it was 2/9 that was saying something. But 2/12? Not so much. It's about time the media has come to this realization.

Doesn't cheapen Duke's 10 Final Fours over the past 24 years nor North Carolina's 8 (possibly 9 if they win today). It just is rightfully coming to realize that after those two teams, the rest of the league has been found wanting.

The Big East needs to deal with a whole different issue. It needs to step up and start getting more teams into the Final Four and winning NCs.

Cheers,
Neil

If you're not winning titles, whats the use of being the best conference? The Big East needs to win it all this year, or all this talk = patting yourselves on the back for no reason
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2009 02:50 PM by EvilVodka1.)
03-29-2009 02:44 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-29-2009 02:44 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

If you're not winning titles, whats the use of being the best conference? The Big East needs to win it all this year, or all this talk = patting yourselves on the back for no reason

Yeah. Like Michigan State winning the title makes the Big Ten the best conference this year. 01-wingedeagle

What a dork you continue to be.

Cheers,
Neil
03-29-2009 02:51 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
He went to school at either Florida State or LSU. Either he can't make up his mind, or he's ambivalent about both. I'm not sure. I'd tend to lean towards ambivalence myself, since a degree from either university isn't much to brag about...
03-29-2009 03:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
frogman Offline
1st String

The title will go to the best team. The BE has already made the case for best conference this year. The ACC has already made the case for ACCUSA.
03-29-2009 03:40 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-29-2009 02:51 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(03-29-2009 02:44 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah. Like Michigan State winning the title makes the Big Ten the best conference this year. 01-wingedeagle

What a dork you continue to be.

Cheers,
Neil

03-lmfao

He also fails to understand the bottomline issue in all of this: REVENUE. The BE has made a rediculous amount of future money in NCAA units, especially this year, not to mention the prestige of actually being the best conference. But this guy is so green with envy and narrow minded that he actually asks "Whats the use of being the best conference if you are not winning titles?" 01-wingedeagle
The BE will continue to win titles, as it has been.
03-29-2009 03:46 PM
EvilVodka1 Offline
2nd String

What was that thud? oh ya, Louisville just hit the floor

Here's hoping the Big East can tie the ACC in championships this decade, right guys? lol
03-29-2009 06:00 PM
EvilVodka1 Offline
2nd String

(03-29-2009 03:40 PM)frogman Wrote:  The title will go to the best team. The BE has already made the case for best conference this year. The ACC has already made the case for ACCUSA.

congrats, maybe ESPN will send a gold star or something
03-29-2009 06:03 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-29-2009 06:00 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  What was that thud? oh ya, Louisville just hit the floor

Here's hoping the Big East can tie the ACC in championships this decade, right guys? lol

Notice you STILL haven't answered my question.

If Michigan State wins the title this year - is the Big Ten the best conference?

Let me ask another one.

When Miami won the BCS football championship in 2001, was the Big East the best football conference?

Of course not you douchebag.

The Big East's performance over the past 4 years is now getting the conference the attention it deserves. UNC or MSU winning the title isn't going to change that. Both are excellent teams from good conferences also.

And btw, I have over 3000 posts on this board and besides TS2, I believe you may be the only other poster I have ever called names.

What a maroon. 01-wingedeagle

Cheers,
Neil
03-29-2009 06:06 PM
EvilVodka1 Offline
2nd String

(03-29-2009 06:06 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(03-29-2009 06:00 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  What was that thud? oh ya, Louisville just hit the floor

If Michigan State wins the title this year - is the Big Ten the best conference?

Let me ask another one.

When Miami won the BCS football championship in 2001, was the Big East the best football conference?

The Big East's performance over the past 4 years is now getting the conference the attention it deserves. UNC or MSU winning the title isn't going to change that. Both are excellent teams from good conferences also.

And btw, I have over 3000 posts on this board and besides TS2, I believe you may be the only other poster I have ever called names.

Cheers,
Neil

I think I've already stated the Big East is the best conference this year in numerous posts...not sure why you went off on this tangent...

I'm also amazed at the reaction from all of the Big East honks when you start telling them facts...well not really, lol

This conference could win 10 titles in a row, and you'd still be comparing yourselves to the ACC...you see SEC fans comparing themselves to the ACC in football? no

this conference has *****-envy, and its obvious with the constant ACC hatefest...you Big East honks need a psychologist
03-29-2009 06:16 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-29-2009 06:16 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  

Let me ask another one.

Cheers,
Neil

I think I've already stated the Big East is the best conference this year in numerous posts...not sure why you went off on this tangent...

I'm also amazed at the reaction from all of the Big East honks when you start telling them facts...well not really, lol

This conference could win 10 titles in a row, and you'd still be comparing yourselves to the ACC...you see SEC fans comparing themselves to the ACC in football? no

this conference has *****-envy, and its obvious with the constant ACC hatefest...you Big East honks need a psychologist

Believe me, IF the ACC were getting more media hype about their football than the SEC AND they were getting paid more for their football than the SEC, SEC fans wouldn't be behaving any differently.

Trust me on that one.

Cheers,
Neil
03-29-2009 06:18 PM
EvilVodka1 Offline
2nd String

(03-29-2009 06:18 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  

Let me ask another one.

Cheers,
Neil

Believe me, IF the ACC were getting more media hype about their football than the SEC AND they were getting paid more for their football than the SEC, SEC fans wouldn't be behaving any differently.

Trust me on that one.

Cheers,
Neil

well, all I'm saying is championships speak louder than words...if UConn or Nova wins, it will cap off a great Big East season, if UNC wins, they steal your fire

Tar Heels are champs, but you're the best conference...whoopidy doo!

Just my opinion of course...I really could care less who wins
03-29-2009 06:27 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(03-29-2009 06:27 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  

Let me ask another one.

Cheers,
Neil

Trust me on that one.

Cheers,
Neil

well, all I'm saying is championships speak louder than words...if UConn or Nova wins, it will cap off a great Big East season, if UNC wins, they steal your fire

And since ALL of these threads are talking about which is the better conference - not who had the better team in a particular year - I don't understand your need to intrude on these threads with this nonsense.

UNC or MSU winning the NC isn't going to "steal the conference's fire". The former has been the consensus team to beat since pre-season and only Ty Lawson's toe had people doubting. The latter is a great program, with a great coach, which will be playing basically at home in Detroit.

Personally, now that the Final Four has been established, as a Syracuse fan I am rooting for Wright and Nova, but since I don't think they will likely win I'd much prefer UNC to win over UConn or MSU.

Won't change my opinion about the Big East at all.

Cheers,
Neil
03-29-2009 06:40 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-29-2009 06:40 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(03-29-2009 06:27 PM)EvilVodka1 Wrote:  

Let me ask another one.

Cheers,
Neil

Trust me on that one.

Cheers,
Neil

And since ALL of these threads are talking about which is the better conference - not who had the better team in a particular year - I don't understand your need to intrude on these threads with this nonsense.

UNC or MSU winning the NC isn't going to "steal the conference's fire". The former has been the consensus team to beat since pre-season and only Ty Lawson's toe had people doubting. The latter is a great program, with a great coach, which will be playing basically at home in Detroit.

Personally, now that the Final Four has been established, as a Syracuse fan I am rooting for Wright and Nova, but since I don't think they will likely win I'd much prefer UNC to win over UConn or MSU.

Won't change my opinion about the Big East at all.

Cheers,
Neil

As much as I dislike Thugbeet and Calhoun, I just cant bring myself to wish for them to lose in the tourney, unless its to the Cuse or some other BE team. But never would I wish for UNC to win anything. Duke, however is another story. Duke is the only acc school that I can stomach, and only because there are an amazing number of their fans that root for the Cuse. At least on their message boards.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2009 06:55 PM by cuseroc.)
03-29-2009 06:53 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.