Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Davidson vs. St. Mary's
Bookmark and Share
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Davidson vs. St. Mary's
If any of you all aren't watching this, get to it - ESPN 2. Absolutely fantastic, wonderful game. Curry vs. Mills in a big-time, SRO, packed gym. VERY high class game on both sides. Better than most any game I've seen this year..........
03-23-2009 11:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsubuc Offline
All American

RE: Davidson vs. St. Mary's
Curry is a great college player, but he will never get off the bench in the NBA, he just isnt good enough all around. He does almost as much harm as good, and Davidson's coach was terrible this year. The gameplan all year was: "give it to curry, get out of the way". That is not the way to play basketball, its almost the same thing Bartow did in Tim Smith's final year. Terrible coaching. And from an overall good coach. Its amazing how stupid a good coach can get when he gets a good player.

Curry needs to stay in school and enjoy next year.

(03-23-2009 11:18 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  If any of you all aren't watching this, get to it - ESPN 2. Absolutely fantastic, wonderful game. Curry vs. Mills in a big-time, SRO, packed gym. VERY high class game on both sides. Better than most any game I've seen this year..........
03-24-2009 07:37 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I bet the other SoCon schools are hoping he leaves!
03-24-2009 07:51 PM
Heisman

I respectfully partially disagree, etsubuc. I think it's unclear if Curry will make noise in the NBA, but I think he will get a fair shot and get some playing time. His quick release will be a big asset in the pros. Davidson is definitely weaker this year than last, but they were certainly not devoid of talent other than Curry. And even other than Lovedale.

St. Mary's was the more "complete" team, however. Mills was awesome, with I think 10 assists and 1 turnover (at least that's what he had with 4 minutes left). He is very inventive with the basketball and had some absolutely incredible passes. Reminded me just a bit of Stockton, although I can't say he's that good, and I think that assist total was his high for the season.

St. Mary's should DEFINITELY have been in the NCAA, and this game was an enjoyable as ANY I've seen in the big tournament this year, with the possible exception of enjoying how Cleveland St. ate up Wake. On third thought.....no, last night's game was more interesting and exciting than any NCAA game so far (excluding my own personal interest in ETSU vs. Pitt, of course). Samhan (who as I recall really hurt us when we played them) and Simpson were really the big difference.

It was a breakneck pace almost the entire game, with poor shooting partly the result of intense defense, and towards the end, fatigue. Read what McKillop says about it at the bottom of this article:

St. Mary's vs. Davidson
03-24-2009 11:04 PM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
(03-24-2009 07:37 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  Curry is a great college player, but he will never get off the bench in the NBA, he just isnt good enough all around. He does almost as much harm as good, and Davidson's coach was terrible this year. The gameplan all year was: "give it to curry, get out of the way". That is not the way to play basketball, its almost the same thing Bartow did in Tim Smith's final year. Terrible coaching. And from an overall good coach. Its amazing how stupid a good coach can get when he gets a good player.

(03-23-2009 11:18 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  If any of you all aren't watching this, get to it - ESPN 2. Absolutely fantastic, wonderful game. Curry vs. Mills in a big-time, SRO, packed gym. VERY high class game on both sides. Better than most any game I've seen this year..........
Curry will be a different player in the NBA, he is what he is because of where he is. He wouldn't be getting noticed scoring 13ppg. For a lot of guys the NBA is about finding a niche that serves as a meal ticket. Steve Kerr didn't play in the NBA because he was a great all around player, he found his niche and it served him well.
03-24-2009 11:57 PM
youngbuc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, USC Cocks
Speaking of Curry, his younger bro is leaving Liberty for tougher competition

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4012928
03-25-2009 12:14 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

Tonight's game, which saw SDSU beat St. Mary's in a close one, was also a dandy. SDSU, in front of 12,400+ (sold-out) was another wonderful atmosphere for a college hoops game. Really entertaining throughout, though maybe not *quite* as neat as the Davey game. But close. SDSU belonged in the big tournament as well. Great athletes.
These two NIT games rank among the best, if they are not *the* best, NIT games since the NCAA went to 64 teams - at least that I'm aware of......
03-26-2009 12:37 AM
Heisman

(03-24-2009 07:37 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  Curry is a great college player, but he will never get off the bench in the NBA, he just isnt good enough all around.

....Curry needs to stay in school and enjoy next year.

Last night Curry scorched Indiana for 38 (7/10 3-pt. range), but tonight he went absolutely plumb silly against the Knicks: 54 points (the whole rest of the Warriors only had 51; 11(franchise record)/13 3 pt. shots); 6 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals.
That's 18/23 on 3 pt. shots in the last two days....

Curry just plain goes off....

That's some mighty fine shootin' from the bench.......I'm just sayin'....
02-28-2013 02:51 AM
Heisman

Curry continues to impress:

Curry in the playoffs so far

"Stephen Curry has been the breakout player of this postseason. When Gregg Popovich compared Curry to Michael Jordan, the Spurs coach wasn't far off the mark -- in Game 1 of the conference semifinals at San Antonio, Curry's double-double of 44 points and 11 assists was the best by any player in the playoffs since Jordan in 1990.

What is sensational about Curry is that he's establishing himself as a star during the playoffs. Curry was respected this season -- he made an NBA-record 272 three-pointers while driving the Warriors to their second postseason appearance in 19 years. But he has never made an All-Star team, and it's unusual to watch someone make a name for himself nationally when the competition grows more difficult.

Curry is averaging 26.5 points, 8.9 assists and 2 steals in the heat of the playoffs. During the season he was good for 22.9 points, 6.9 assists and 1.6 steals while shooting a lower percentage from the field overall than he has managed this postseason.
"
05-10-2013 09:50 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

Hard to believe it but I think Stephen is a better NBA player than his dad was.
05-10-2013 09:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
I saw where Kevin Martin (WCU) was lighting it up the other night too. He plays for OKC now.
05-10-2013 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Heisman

(03-24-2009 07:37 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  Curry is a great college player, but he will never get off the bench in the NBA, he just isnt good enough all around. He does almost as much harm as good, and Davidson's coach was terrible this year. The gameplan all year was: "give it to curry, get out of the way". That is not the way to play basketball, its almost the same thing Bartow did in Tim Smith's final year. Terrible coaching. And from an overall good coach. Its amazing how stupid a good coach can get when he gets a good player.

*** I haven't brought Curry back up in a while, but I think tonight is a good time. Just to rag on etsubuc again. I'm not sure why they awarded the MVP trophy to a guy who doesn't even get off the bench, but they did:

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/04/stephen...e-warriors

(BTW, Paddy Mills, mentioned above going against Curry, is having a moderately successful NBA career of his own. although his Spurs narrowly lost in a truly stupendous game 7 against the Clippers.)
05-05-2015 12:58 AM
Etsubuc20 Offline
Water Engineer

Ouch.....
05-05-2015 04:57 AM
Etsubuc20 Offline
Water Engineer

Think how fun it would've been to have Curry in the Dome.
05-05-2015 04:57 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
(05-05-2015 12:58 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  

*** I haven't brought Curry back up in a while, but I think tonight is a good time. Just to rag on etsubuc again. I'm not sure why they awarded the MVP trophy to a guy who doesn't even get off the bench, but they did:

(BTW, Paddy Mills, mentioned above going against Curry, is having a moderately successful NBA career of his own. although his Spurs narrowly lost in a truly stupendous game 7 against the Clippers.)

Shots fired!
05-05-2015 08:32 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I never liked Davidson but I have nothing but respect for Curry. Couldn't have picked a better player/person to win the MVP. He's a great story.
05-05-2015 08:36 AM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

In defense of etsubuc, I don't think anyone predicted the baby-faced Curry would develop in an elite and most valuable NBA player. In fact, every college coach in America predicted otherwise. We could've made the same claims about Jimmer Fredette and been on the money. Hell I thought it was a joke when Utah drafted Ian Clark and he's played 2 seasons in the NBA. Clark has sat the bench, but he's beat out scores of major-level college players who are now overseas. Since Curry's emerged as an elite player, it's amazing how many people have come out and said "I told you so...." without mentioning the myriad times they were wrong in their predictions.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 08:44 AM by Bucfaithful.)
05-05-2015 08:43 AM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
(05-05-2015 12:58 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  

Low blow LOL! 03-nutkick
05-05-2015 09:11 AM
Heisman

All in good sport.

05-stirthepot

Back to your regularly-scheduled discussion....
05-05-2015 12:45 PM
Heisman

Ok......Saturday night was just so ridiculous I've got to post about it in case there are some of you here who missed it. I am *not* trying to be piling on here - it's just the best place to put this follow-up:

Is there no limit to what he can do?

Edit: I guess I should include a fuller account of his exploits:

the full scoop

Further edit -- for those perhaps just skimming the records set (there were at least 4), let this sink in: the Thunder out-rebounded the Warriors by 30. That's right: 30. Think about that; you out-rebound your opponents by 30, and lose the game. I'm virtually certain that's unprecedented.
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2016 04:24 AM by posterformerlyknownasthedoctor.)
02-29-2016 04:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.