Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

South Alabama Football
Bookmark and Share
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
South Alabama Football
I'm down here in Mobile for Madri Gras and I must say how shocked I am at the amount of support for USA football. A lot of people are excited about the Jaguars starting up. This worries me. If South can get good, they can surpass us very quickly within the state borders. Troy suffers from a small media market, whereas South has a HUGE one. If they can win the conference once, i would expect them to do so many times back-to-back. Troy is going to have to completely dominate South for as long as possible to prevent that from happening.

We cannot afford to allow South any breathing room. If we are to maintain dominance, we're going to have to out recruit South. That may be easy at first, but every year will prove to be tougher than the last.

This should turn out to be a great rivalry for us. With so much family in Mobile, I will be a mainstay for every away game Troy plays down here...atleast in football. I hope we will travel well as a fan base. Mobile is a lot of fun, and if we all got together, we could make each away trip for football down here into a bowl game like atmosphere!
02-23-2009 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
RE: South Alabama Football
(02-23-2009 09:46 AM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  Troy is going to have to completely dominate South for as long as possible to prevent that from happening.

I agree, USA could surpass Troy sometime in the next decade.

We should try to prevent (or at least delay) this by

- not playing South Alabama until 2013
- scheduling a series with USM (IMO we should play USM in Mobile every year)
- developing a strong (!) rivalry with UAB
- signing more in-state hs prospects
- moving to another conference if possible (CUSA) !!
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2009 05:14 PM by T2003.)
02-23-2009 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FIU
(02-23-2009 05:00 PM)T2003 Wrote:  
(02-23-2009 09:46 AM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  Troy is going to have to completely dominate South for as long as possible to prevent that from happening.

What happened to sticking together as a conference? Wouldn't a strong USA team benefit everyone here? Give the conference more clout? The next decade should be very exciting for the Sun Belt. You guys already have established yourselves as a strong football team. FAU has some bowl wins and should be getting a new on-campus stadium. UNT is getting one too. At FIU, we are finishing up our stadium and are about to become a very legitimate force in the Belt, starting this year I dare say...

These things can make people begin to notice our conference, especially if we can get more national exposure on ESPN, Versus or some other network. We've got some quality football coming quite quickly, and I would hate to lose Troy. I'm not gonna lie, I've thought about FIU making the leap to a larger conference and would welcome it. But right now, we're focused on competeing here, making this conference stronger and more visible. Why not? I want the Belt to succeed and excel. If USA helps, then welcome aboard, and we look forward to playing you guys hard!!
02-23-2009 10:29 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

i am always for bettering the Sun Belt, but not at the cost of Troy. South will eventually become a power within the conference, and that will hurt my Trojans. I am for dominating them as long as possible. South is going to become Troy's biggest rival in football, even overtaking Middle (i know, right?). I want them to do well, but I want Troy to have their number. We have to destroy them on the field for as many years as we can as to get a head start and maintain the ability to out recruit them. The recruiting trail will be a tough one to keep behind our own lines because with the Gulf Coast market, South will have tons of kids to pull from. If the Jaguars can get good, they can stay good. Kids will want to play for them because they are good, they are close, and they will have good facilities. Troy will only have two of those things.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2009 06:07 PM by Burn the Horse.)
02-24-2009 06:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(02-23-2009 10:29 PM)Joel Wrote:  

What happened to sticking together as a conference? Wouldn't a strong USA team benefit everyone here? Give the conference more clout? The next decade should be very exciting for the Sun Belt. You guys already have established yourselves as a strong football team. FAU has some bowl wins and should be getting a new on-campus stadium. UNT is getting one too. At FIU, we are finishing up our stadium and are about to become a very legitimate force in the Belt, starting this year I dare say...

These things can make people begin to notice our conference, especially if we can get more national exposure on ESPN, Versus or some other network. We've got some quality football coming quite quickly, and I would hate to lose Troy. I'm not gonna lie, I've thought about FIU making the leap to a larger conference and would welcome it. But right now, we're focused on competeing here, making this conference stronger and more visible. Why not? I want the Belt to succeed and excel. If USA helps, then welcome aboard, and we look forward to playing you guys hard!!

You are absolutely correct Joel. We do need to stick together, and the quality of this conference is going to take off over the next five years. Almost everyone in the conference is building something new (new fb Stadium, basketball arena, etc). This will help everyone in the belt. When looking at a school, kids look at who they play as well and their facilities, the appearnace of their opponents, so in this way I can't see how other teams getting better would not be a good idea. It's a symbiotic relationship where we all feed off of eachother.

I can see why Troy doesn't want to play south as well. So there's definately two sides, and it's possible to be on both sides because they both make sense. I think, however, we should play USA right out of the gate for two reasons. One, so that we can assert dominance from the get go and create a TRUE rivaly, and TWO, so we can say that we willingly play all instate schools who will play us. We need to men about it and play them and not be scared like Alabama or Auburn. Sure, we have a lot to lose, but in reality, it'll make us a stronger football program.

I agree Joel, FIU is quickly on the rise and you guys will be a good team to have in the belt. Now we need UNT and WKU to have breakout years and we will be a great conference. Let's do it.
02-25-2009 06:54 PM
Advertisement

posterchild Offline
FIU INsider Staff

I Root For: FIU
I am not worried about WKU, they are going to be good.
02-26-2009 09:50 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(02-25-2009 06:54 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

You are absolutely correct Joel. We do need to stick together, and the quality of this conference is going to take off over the next five years. Almost everyone in the conference is building something new (new fb Stadium, basketball arena, etc). This will help everyone in the belt. When looking at a school, kids look at who they play as well and their facilities, the appearnace of their opponents, so in this way I can't see how other teams getting better would not be a good idea. It's a symbiotic relationship where we all feed off of eachother.

I can see why Troy doesn't want to play south as well. So there's definately two sides, and it's possible to be on both sides because they both make sense. I think, however, we should play USA right out of the gate for two reasons. One, so that we can assert dominance from the get go and create a TRUE rivaly, and TWO, so we can say that we willingly play all instate schools who will play us. We need to men about it and play them and not be scared like Alabama or Auburn. Sure, we have a lot to lose, but in reality, it'll make us a stronger football program.

I agree Joel, FIU is quickly on the rise and you guys will be a good team to have in the belt. Now we need UNT and WKU to have breakout years and we will be a great conference. Let's do it.

I was gonna call Hypocrite on the Troy fans attitudes about USA on this post untill I read the bolded part of your post. I know that TROY ******* constantly that Bama and Barn wont play you guys, but now all of a sudden the shoe is on the other foot and you guys didnt want to play USA because YOU have a lot to loose. 01-wingedeagle

For those advocating running from USA I'd say you need to follow 05's attitude and stop perpetuating a double standard of a policy you loathe.
02-26-2009 11:04 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(02-26-2009 11:04 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(02-25-2009 06:54 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

I was gonna call Hypocrite on the Troy fans attitudes about USA on this post untill I read the bolded part of your post. I know that TROY ******* constantly that Bama and Barn wont play you guys, but now all of a sudden the shoe is on the other foot and you guys didnt want to play USA because YOU have a lot to loose. 01-wingedeagle

For those advocating running from USA I'd say you need to follow 05's attitude and stop perpetuating a double standard of a policy you loathe.

Thanks OwlFamily. I agree, many of the same Troy fans who really want AU and UA to play don't want to have a thing to do with USA. I mean, MTSU is a good rival and all, but USA gives us a chance to have a REAL INSTATE RIVAL. I'm all up for playing them right our of the gate.
02-26-2009 11:21 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

i don't think any of our fans don't want to play South, we just want to crush them and prove we are better.
02-26-2009 12:05 PM
Advertisement

Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(02-26-2009 12:05 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  i don't think any of our fans don't want to play South, we just want to crush them and prove we are better.

I say we play them early and often. Crush them like a blue raider bug and put them in their place.
02-26-2009 01:54 PM
OwlFamily Offline

(02-26-2009 01:54 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  I say we play them early and often. Crush them like a blue raider bug and put them in their place.

NOW THATS more like it. 02-13-banana

For a second this thread started to sound like Troy was afraid of lil ole USA and what they MIGHT become.

Troy needent be afraid of USA,

You need to be afraid of FAU! 04-rock

05-stirthepot04-cheers05-stirthepot
02-26-2009 02:38 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

(02-26-2009 02:38 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(02-26-2009 01:54 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  I say we play them early and often. Crush them like a blue raider bug and put them in their place.

NOW THATS more like it. 02-13-banana

For a second this thread started to sound like Troy was afraid of lil ole USA and what they MIGHT become.

Troy needent be afraid of USA,

You need to be afraid of FAU! 04-rock

05-stirthepot04-cheers05-stirthepot

My friend the only fear Troy has when FAU comes to town is, will there be any hubcaps left in town, or will they all be on the bus back to Boca.04-cheers
02-26-2009 02:55 PM
OwlFamily Offline

(02-26-2009 02:55 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  My friend the only fear Troy has when FAU comes to town is, will there be any hubcaps left in town, or will they all be on the bus back to Boca.04-cheers

Wait, TROY, Alabama has cars?

Or are you talking about the horse and buggy's ya'll still drive? Didnt know you could put rims and caps on those.

04-cheers
02-26-2009 04:22 PM
Advertisement

Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

(02-26-2009 04:22 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(02-26-2009 02:55 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  My friend the only fear Troy has when FAU comes to town is, will there be any hubcaps left in town, or will they all be on the bus back to Boca.04-cheers

Or are you talking about the horse and buggy's ya'll still drive? Didnt know you could put rims and caps on those.

04-cheers

Cars? NO. Trucks on the other hand is a different story.
02-26-2009 04:35 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(02-26-2009 04:35 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  
(02-26-2009 04:22 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  

04-cheers

Cars? NO. Trucks on the other hand is a different story.

Haha, good call hemi.
02-26-2009 07:08 PM
Texas Trojan Offline
Water Engineer

Bring on the Jags. In twenty years, we will beat them, they will beat us, and we will have a great rivalry going - one that is not dependent on the whims of Tuscaloosa and ... wait, what is the name of that exit on Interstate 85 with the school that runs cows for homecoming queen?
08-27-2009 02:49 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

who moved this to the Smack board? this is just another solid thread.
08-27-2009 03:03 PM
Advertisement

Texas Trojan Offline
Water Engineer

I am too new to be getting that rep ...

Sorry about that! I will keep ... robotically ... on ... subject ... at ... all ... times ... in ... the ... future.
08-27-2009 04:53 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(02-23-2009 10:29 PM)Joel Wrote:  What happened to sticking together as a conference?

I agree. If we all get our heads in the game and limit the "I wanna jump ship to another conference" talk, them we can have a legit chance of being a Top Non-BCS Conference. It can happen, our teams just have to work hard.

I'm all up for a better sunbelt rather than moving to CUSA.
08-27-2009 06:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.