http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/4528052[/url]
02-17-2009 10:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mmucha Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Lefton on Athletics
"Kennedy also is close to closing deals that will send the Flashes men's basketball team to play at Pittsburgh and Xavier in the 2009-10 season. Both paydays are expected to bring in close to $80,000."

sweet! :) 02-13-banana

"Playing in Santa Clara's Cable Car Classic during the 2009 holidays will bring in another $30,000."

roadtrip! :) 02-13-banana
according to mapquest... estimated driving time: 5 hours, 11 min, estimated distance: 335.01 miles (burbank to santa clara.)

"All of those deals would help KSU afford to host its own pre-season exempt tournament, guaranteeing Coach Geno Ford's team two more difficult-to-find home games. They also could help Kennedy reach his goal of breaking ground on phase one of renovations to the M.A.C. Center."

very good

mike
'86
02-17-2009 11:43 AM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
would be very interesting to see what the loses are by sport. I gotta believe football is the loss leader.

I'm not saying drop to I-AA (at least not in this thread) but short of some rich alum funding our football program im not sure how we in the non-BCS conferences keep up with the arms race that has become big time football. All the expenses are going up but the top line isnt following (at least at our level).
02-17-2009 03:39 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
I know I have said this before but I'll say it again. I think even though I know it would be really hard to do but schedule Ohio State, Penn State, Tenn, Mich, Usc, or any other 100,000+ sellout staduim. Even if we could get two a year it would get us exposure and rake in the money. The exposure would probably be negative with it most likely being highlights from the other team. If memory serves me right in the last game Cribbs played against Penn State the team was still in it until he got hurt. So have that happen 2-4 times and its bond to help us come conference time istead of playing youngstown state or other teams like that.
02-17-2009 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Kentville Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
It's hard to justify KSU spending much more on athletics than it already does given the overall lack of interest by students, alumni, and community.
02-17-2009 05:32 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Kentville's right. If sports were to be dropped or severly downgraded, I think we all would be surprised at how few people would complain. Not more than a few thousand people, total.
02-17-2009 05:45 PM
mmucha Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
agree with kentville & kent 76.

sad but true.

hat's off to men's basketball, golf & baseball programs. very high level of success with very little support. amazing job by those coaches & players! :ncaabbs:

mike
'86
02-17-2009 06:33 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
...and softball and wrestling and gymnastics and track & field...
02-17-2009 06:48 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(02-17-2009 05:22 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  If memory serves me right in the last game Cribbs played against Penn State the team was still in it until he got hurt.
We were very much in it, he got hurt and then his backup got hurt as well right after, so we went withe #3 the rest of the way.
02-17-2009 06:57 PM
IrwinMFletcher Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Flash Baseball
Many of the teams have to solicit funds during the off season for their programs. Are the administrative folks doing their best to do the same?

One big bright spot is Ben Curtis and his generosity to the golf program. With all the former players out there, it appears that not many show up to the games.

For 2009, the Kent State baseball team is starting the season nationally ranked and several of their players are getting tremendous preseason press around the country. Go to a home game. A few scattered fans, the parents, and the players. That facility is in need of lighting, added bleachers, and a little facade work. Why spend the money when nobody comes to the games. No student body, rarely former players, nobody in the community.

Arguably the best baseball team in Ohio and in the Midwest.

If fans came and overloaded the M Center, Dix, and the Olga, maybe the administrators would change their tune a little.

Its no coincidence the Kent State website pulled all the renderings for Schoonover Stadium. No money for lights, seating, VIP box, parking, and the facade work, but there is a nice open field behind the left field fence for tailgating, but is currently used for deer grazing.
02-18-2009 10:50 AM
Advertisement

ilovegymnast Offline
All American

The problem with the baseball field is its location. The dorms are on the other side of campus so they cant just walk over and watch a game. Not only that but if you walked the campus and asked them where it was I doubt many could give you directions. Then you have all the weekday gamess being played at 3 while the students are still in class. If you were to poll the students on kent state athletics your going to find out two things the football team sucks and the basketball team is good. Hell when I bring up that I'm going to watch one of the other teams play I get looked at as if I was snorting coke in class. I have tried before every football game to get people to go to either the field hockey or soccer games. I have gone with maybe 4 or 5 people over the last 3 years and that was one person for that day.

If its the weekend the students want to get drunk, do illegals, and play around on facebook. Its the same as when you older guys were younger and going. With the exception of probably more frat houses and bars.
02-18-2009 11:20 AM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:
As others have mentioned previously, many students are too busy with classes, school work and jobs. I didn't attend many events when I was a student, other than Saturday football games. I suppose I would have caught more basketball games, but the teams were beyond awful. Do many schools draw very well for the so-called "minor sports"? I may be wrong, but I imagine college baseball doesn't draw very well in general, at least outside the deep south and far west.
02-18-2009 01:51 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

From the games I have watched on tv or saw the highlights to, if your not a top 5 team every year no one comes. Softball and girls basketball are really bad at this. Besides Duke, UNC, Tenn, Uconn how many girls basketball games have been close to selling out? Arizona averages around 1600 people for softball charging $5 a ticket and Tenn is right there with them. If your not a big name school in the sport and get tv coverage to prove it your not going to get fans in the stands.
02-18-2009 02:06 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

President Lefton is right. Alumni and fans need to step up if they want more funding. The economy is horrible in Ohio and higher ed funding is pathetic. The primary purpose of the U is education. I wouldn't be surprised to see cuts.
02-18-2009 08:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.