Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best Rivalry in the Belt
Bookmark and Share
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
Question Best Rivalry in the Belt
So what two teams do you feel have the strongest rivalry in the 'Belt?
01-31-2009 11:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OwlFamily Online
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
RE: Best Rivalry in the Belt
(01-31-2009 11:53 AM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  So what two teams do you feel have the strongest rivalry in the 'Belt?

I would say on history

Troy vs MTSU

However, I think that FAU vs Troy is gaining ground quickly on that. 03-nutkick

I understand the WKU and MTSU are the usual Bubas cup contenders and have a history together as well.
01-31-2009 01:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

In order I'd say:

1. Battle for the Palladium (Troy-MTSU)
2. Troy vs FAU (just because of the circumstances that make it an important game)
2. Shula Bowl (FAU-FIU)
3. WKU vs MTSU
4. ULL-ULM
01-31-2009 05:05 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

ya know, i've talked to Louisiana fans. they don't seem to see ULM as a rival.
01-31-2009 10:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
WKU v. MT hands down.

MT v. Troy when it comes to FB (as one sided as it has been)
01-31-2009 11:23 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
ualr vs stAte
wku vs mt

I bet this was a football thread. Anyway the basketball game between ualr and stAte is on espn, in some form, every year.
02-01-2009 09:53 AM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

(02-01-2009 09:53 AM)insideualr Wrote:  ualr vs stAte
wku vs mt

I bet this was a football thread. Anyway the basketball game between ualr and stAte is on espn, in some form, every year.

The UALR-ASU game might be a pretty good one with a lot on the line this season. I'm interested in that one.
02-01-2009 08:47 PM
Big Money G Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
The WKU/MT rivalry has to be near the top. There is alot of history-hate going back even prior to the Sunbelt.

A new conference rivalry that has developed in just the past 2 football games for WKU is North Texas.

Some bad blood after the football game in '07 and the way the game in '08 ended has put a little spice in the competition between two schools you wouldn't think would have a lot of dislike for one another. But there is no love for the Mean Green in Topper land!
02-01-2009 11:12 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
MT vs. Missouri State?

JK

MT vs. WKU just cus of the Bubas Cup thing.

Other than that there is no real rivalry in the Belt. It sucks...wish there was.
02-02-2009 11:51 AM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

i'm going to have to dissagree with you Paul. I think that the Palladium has become a great rivalry. sure, it's become a bit one-sided, but that won't last. Middle fans probably HATE Troy at this point, and once they finally beat us, i think they'll rub it in. At that point, TROY fans will remember why they hated the Raiders in the beginning, and this thing will heat back up.

I also think that with FIU improving, the Shula Bowl is going to get really good. The Panthers are in one of the best locations in the entire country to recruit talent. Once they get those missing pieces, watch out Owls! haha.

We're a young football conference, rivalries will only get stronger. :noisycricket:
02-02-2009 12:15 PM
OwlFamily Online
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(02-02-2009 12:15 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  i'm going to have to dissagree with you Paul. I think that the Palladium has become a great rivalry. sure, it's become a bit one-sided, but that won't last. Middle fans probably HATE Troy at this point, and once they finally beat us, i think they'll rub it in. At that point, TROY fans will remember why they hated the Raiders in the beginning, and this thing will heat back up.

I also think that with FIU improving, the Shula Bowl is going to get really good. The Panthers are in one of the best locations in the entire country to recruit talent. Once they get those missing pieces, watch out Owls! haha.

We're a young football conference, rivalries will only get stronger. :noisycricket:

Strangely enough A LOT of FIU fans dont consider FAU thier main rival. They look at UM as thier main due to location. 01-wingedeagle

I dont really see that, FIU calling UM its main rival for recruits and fans is sort of like a flea claimng to eat the same food as the dog it lives on.

Hopefully FAU/FIU gets stronger as a rivalry, FIU is improving each year. Once we get our OCS (GOD PLEASE, Ill sacrifice whatever you want to get this done by 2010) FIU/FAU will be on even ground for recruits.

They have the OCS has a advantage, We have our success as ours.
02-02-2009 12:30 PM
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

hahahahahaha 03-lmfao

OF, you just called FIU the flea on UM's back. now THAT's funny!
02-02-2009 12:57 PM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
Biggest Rivalry: MT and WKU

Others: MT and Troy (Football Only), ULL and ULM, UALR and Arkansas State, and FAU and FIU
02-03-2009 01:44 AM
Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FIU
Well it's true, many FIU fans don't consider FAU a true rivalry... at least until this past year. You have to understand where many of us come from. Most FIU fans, being from Miami, have always been around UM fans and their influence. Heck, a good number of us, myself included, grew up UM fans.

We have very high expectations for this program; our athletic director and school president have a clear vision to make our athletics a dominant force on the national stage. We want to be able to establish a cross-town rivalry with UM ala USC-UCLA (sadly, they backed out of playing us for the time being in ALL major sports). It has the potential to be a great one and sooner or later they won't be able to run from us.

Back to FAU, when we started playing each other, I think it kinda felt like a rivalry was being forced upon us. And FAU has had the upper hand, due to better development early on (Don Strock wasn't getting the job done; Cristobal is the one who is turning things around and taking us to new heights). Now after this past Shula Bowl, I think it is clear that this rivalry has truly taken form. I, for one, thought that we watched the true birth of the rivalry right before our eyes as the game unfolded. I bet every FIU fan at that game feels that way too.

I hope this explains it a little more. We don't want to be the flea on UM's back; we want to be able to on an even playing field with them, perhaps even surpass them.
02-03-2009 07:08 PM
Big Money G Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-03-2009 07:08 PM)Joel Wrote:  We don't want to be the flea on UM's back; we want to be able to on an even playing field with them, perhaps even surpass them.

Miami has 5 National Championships and has been a known NATIONAL power for nearly 30 years. FIU will never be on that level. They may become the best in the Sunbelt (which I believe will happen), but they will never be nothing more than an afterthought to the Canes.

A quote from Lamar Thomas during the brawl The U and FIU had a couple of years ago:

"Now that's what I'm talkin' about! You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked! You don't come in the O.B. playin' that stuff! You across..you across the ocean over there, you across the city. You can't come over to our place talkin' noise like that, you get your butt beaten! I was 'bout to go down the elevator and get in that thing!"

"You know, I say why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel, after the ballgame, and get it on some more! You don't come in to the O.B., baby - we've had a down couple of years - but you don't come in here talking smack. Not in our house!"
Lamar Thomas
02-03-2009 07:39 PM
Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-03-2009 07:39 PM)Big Money G Wrote:  Miami has 5 National Championships and has been a known NATIONAL power for nearly 30 years. FIU will never be on that level. They may become the best in the Sunbelt (which I believe will happen), but they will never be nothing more than an afterthought to the Canes.

A quote from Lamar Thomas during the brawl The U and FIU had a couple of years ago:

"Now that's what I'm talkin' about! You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked! You don't come in the O.B. playin' that stuff! You across..you across the ocean over there, you across the city. You can't come over to our place talkin' noise like that, you get your butt beaten! I was 'bout to go down the elevator and get in that thing!"

"You know, I say why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel, after the ballgame, and get it on some more! You don't come in to the O.B., baby - we've had a down couple of years - but you don't come in here talking smack. Not in our house!"
Lamar Thomas

You're quoting Lamar Thomas of all people? Those words were spoken out emotion and he got FIRED from being a commentator for those statements. And the brawl is something we refuse to look back upon. That was the old team under Strock and a different AD. Things are different now.

Look, we might be relatively new to football, but with all the talent down here in South Florida there is no reason why we will not be able to give them a fight on the football field on a yearly basis in the near future. Heck, this past year people got a glimpse of what we could be. Obviously, history doesn't happen overnight and we won't have UM's kind of success for a long time. But UM, right now, isn't the same program it was. Now with schools like FIU, FAU, UCF, USF and others entering the scene things have become tougher for UM and I think very soon, we will be able to challenge them. Many people don't think so, but the blueprint is there, the talent is there, the coaching and support from the school administrators is there. We are setting the bar very high.
02-03-2009 08:04 PM
Advertisement

Big Money G Offline
Bench Warmer

We'll just have to disagree. UM will never lose a recruit they want to FIU, FAU, etc. The only teams UM recruits against instate are FSU and UF. UM is very much the same program they have been. All schools go though some down years. UM has been in that rut for about 3 years, but those time are changing again. Miami, FSU, and Florida will get all the big time prospects out of South Florida they want. Whatever they don't get the other BCS conference schools will take. FIU, FAU, etc. get the leftovers.

Now, those leftovers are still pretty good and it is good enough to become dominate in the Sunbelt, IMO.

Lamar Thomas was a victim of political correctness. While I certainly wouldn't condone brawling at a football game, I loved his commentary on the brawl. Anyone with common sense knew everything he was saying was "tongue n cheek".
02-03-2009 08:25 PM
Joel Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-03-2009 08:25 PM)Big Money G Wrote:  We'll just have to disagree. UM will never lose a recruit they want to FIU, FAU, etc. The only teams UM recruits against instate are FSU and UF. UM is very much the same program they have been. All schools go though some down years. UM has been in that rut for about 3 years, but those time are changing again. Miami, FSU, and Florida will get all the big time prospects out of South Florida they want. Whatever they don't get the other BCS conference schools will take. FIU, FAU, etc. get the leftovers.

Now, those leftovers are still pretty good and it is good enough to become dominate in the Sunbelt, IMO.

Lamar Thomas was a victim of political correctness. While I certainly wouldn't condone brawling at a football game, I loved his commentary on the brawl. Anyone with common sense knew everything he was saying was "tongue n cheek".

Fair enough, but let's leave it at this: Mario Cristobal is not afraid to go up against the big schools to get the big time recruits. For now, yes we will get the leftovers, but we are getting players from the best high schools in South Florida. Here's a quote from recruiting analyst Larry Blustein:

''Mario knew he had to nail down the South Florida area, and he's done that with another tremendous class,'' said Miami Herald recruiting analyst Larry Blustein. ``Once FIU hits its stride and starts going to bowl games -- and they will soon enough -- there's no stopping that program. FIU is going to be the UCLA to Miami's USC.''

For the whole article, here's the link: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleg...73617.html

You'll get a good idea about how serious we are about becoming a top-tier program.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2009 08:35 PM by Joel.)
02-03-2009 08:34 PM
Big Money G Offline
Bench Warmer

I've read Blustein before. He could easily say the same thing about FAU. FAU has been a 1A program about the same time as FIU and I view them as being far ahead of FIU. The've already won 2 bowl games.

Facility wise FIU and FAU aren't in the top half of the Sunbelt. That makes a big difference, even to recruits in South Florida.

I like Cristobal and believe he will continue to do a great job at FIU. Getting Bill Legg to be his OC was a tremendous hire last year.
02-03-2009 09:02 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

i'm of the opinion that FIU will surpass FAU sooner rather than later. The Panthers are located in one of the hottest recruiting beds in the entire country, and have shown an ability to pull talent even against the all-mighty Miami Hurricanes.

That being said, I do not see FIU overtaking the top three. The way I see it, this conference basically has three teams who rotate the top three positions, TROY, Middle, and FAU. FIU's program is improving so fast though, that they will begin to challenge for one of these spots every few years quickly. That is why the Shula Bowl will explode into one of the best rivalries, it'll be for a place in the top three each year. Once we get these other 2 bowls, that'll really mean something.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2009 09:48 PM by Burn the Horse.)
02-03-2009 09:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.