Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Voters and Computers differ ranking The BEast
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Voters and Computers differ ranking The BEast
Computers and voters don’t see eye-to-eye when ranking The BEast. Here's this week’s AP top25 for The BEast with their RPI, according to RealTimeRPI.com...

3. Connecticut (No. 6 RPI)
4. Pitt (No. 2 RPI)
8. Syracuse (No. 12 RPI)
9. Louisville (No. 11 RPI)
11. Marquette (No. 17 RPI)
12. Georgetown (No. 10 RPI)
19. Notre Dame (No. 66 RPI)
20. Villanova (No. 27 RPI)
NR. West Virginia (No. 14 RPI)
01-23-2009 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CardinalJim Online
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Voters and Computers differ ranking The BEast
Unreal, WVU, is #14 in the RPI and unranked. The 'Eers are being punished for being a member of the best conference in the country. If WVU was a member of the Big 11 or PAC 10 they would be ranked and possibly win the conference. Hell they may still win the Big East; its too early to count any of this 9 out.
CJ
01-24-2009 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(01-24-2009 06:30 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Unreal, WVU, is #14 in the RPI and unranked. The 'Eers are being punished for being a member of the best conference in the country. If WVU was a member of the Big 11 or PAC 10 they would be ranked and possibly win the conference. Hell they may still win the Big East; its too early to count any of this 9 out.
CJ

Human voters, as I suspect you know, are more likely to be impressed by 'name' wins, moreso than good RPI wins. At the time the Eers weren't in the polls, they had lost to Kentucky (perceived to be down at that time) and Davidson and had beaten no 'name' schools. They rose into the Top 25 with a win over Ohio State. And then quickly exited the human polls with losses to Connecticut and Marquette. I am sure with a big win over Georgetown, they will be in the upper echelon of "Other teams receiving votes" on Monday and a win over Pitt tomorrow will get them back in the Top 25 on Monday.

In the meantime, the Irish remain in the Top 25 because they beat Texas and played and lost to North Carolina and Ohio State. They remained in the polls with a great win over the Hoyas, but are in danger of falling out after losing to Louisville and Syracuse, unless of course they beat UConn tonight. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2009 06:55 PM by omniorange.)
01-24-2009 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Even after wins WVU is disrespected. ESPN's new power poll, released just after WVU went to Georgetown and stomped 'em, had the Hoyas ranked #17, and WVU #25. This was just AFTER WVU beat Georgetown on their home floor by 17 points. WVU has a better record, a better conference record, and won the matchup between the 2 on the higher ranked team's home floor by a large margin. That's a real intelligent poll, and is typical of the intellect found among sports reporters today...
01-25-2009 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.