UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Butler concessions
MC Blazer Offline
Grand Dragon of Detroit

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk AwardDonators
Butler concessions
I'm surprised nobody brought this up: Butler University had both Chik-fil-a and Fazoli's at Hinkle.

If they can have those, why can't we get MILO'S?!?!?!
01-08-2009 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

iam4uab Offline
All American

RE: Butler concessions
If Butler plays a Sunday game, do they still have Chick-fil-A?

And yes, we have to contract at least one of our concession stands out to the Milo's people.
01-08-2009 09:39 AM
MC Blazer Offline
Grand Dragon of Detroit

BlazerTalk AwardDonators
Quote:If Butler plays a Sunday game, do they still have Chick-fil-A?

Good question. One of the Butler fans said that the UAB was the first time they had Chick-fil-a. So, maybe no one knows.
01-08-2009 09:43 AM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
The answer would be no. The Cathys are adamant about their stand on no Sunday sales. Being in an arena is no different than being at the mall.
01-08-2009 11:49 AM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

I think a great ice cream franchise is needed at the Bart.....................................:)
01-08-2009 01:54 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-08-2009 01:54 PM)mobileblazer Wrote:  I think a great ice cream franchise is needed at the Bart.....................................:)

You're right. I could really get into some Dippin Dots. 03-wink
01-08-2009 01:58 PM
Advertisement

mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

(01-08-2009 01:58 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(01-08-2009 01:54 PM)mobileblazer Wrote:  I think a great ice cream franchise is needed at the Bart.....................................:)

You're right. I could really get into some Dippin Dots. 03-wink

I not talking about frozen turd pellets. Knot head......j/k
01-08-2009 02:01 PM
iam4uab Offline
All American

I would welcome anything to add to the status quo of concessions that we have now. A Lemon Ice stand, funnel cakes, corn dogs, or pretzel stands could all be added to the concourse. Not to mention the addition of sponsors like Milo's and Full Moon.

At least Milo's tea. That would be so much better than a half flat diet Pepsi.
01-08-2009 02:08 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Any business is going to lose money as things currently stand by putting a concession stand in Bartow Arena. When we are averaging 5000 at best, and over half of those do not even bother with concessions, it would not be profitable. Plus UAB would have pay a franchise fee or something like that, which they would most likely not recoup.

Face it. We need to increase the attendance and then improve the concessions. With larger crowds, then we can try to attract someone.

No one is going to say "Hey let's go to the UAB game. I hear they have a Milo's."
01-08-2009 02:20 PM
MC Blazer Offline
Grand Dragon of Detroit

BlazerTalk AwardDonators
(01-08-2009 02:20 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Any business is going to lose money as things currently stand by putting a concession stand in Bartow Arena. When we are averaging 5000 at best, and over half of those do not even bother with concessions, it would not be profitable. Plus UAB would have pay a franchise fee or something like that, which they would most likely not recoup.

Face it. We need to increase the attendance and then improve the concessions. With larger crowds, then we can try to attract someone.

No one is going to say "Hey let's go to the UAB game. I hear they have a Milo's."

I think it would be more along the lines of "I can see a Blazer game AND have a Milo's". The folks from Chick-Fil-a at Hinkle used a catering truck to bring in a very limited menu, same with Fazoli's. At the least, the company that caters the Green and Gold room should have the option of selling their product upstairs.
01-08-2009 03:02 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
"We need to increase the attendance and then improve the concessions"

One goes together with the other. We are selling FUN - a total entertainment experience. That has to include everything: ease of parking, pageantry, child-friendly atmosphere, excitement around the court, screaming fans and good basketball. These are all pieces of the puzzle and it is incomplete if it's missing any of them.

Golden Girls like the sparkplug, like the raven-haired one, do as much to build our program when they show how much fun they're having as does a slick point guard or hot shooting forward. So does a good scoreboard, so do good concessions, so does the smoking dragon, so does Today in Blazer History. All are parts of the overall program that we support, and we have to build all of them to have what we want.

Crappy "food" drives people away. So do rude yellow-shirted thugs. We do not need these things.

Brian Mackin, I know you read this board. Don't think for a moment you're selling basketball games. It's an entertainment experience involving basketball, that lets us feel a part of UAB and to re-connect to those days when you and I and Memphis Blazer were students and had good hair: build the total package.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2009 03:21 PM by 58-56.)
01-08-2009 03:20 PM
Advertisement

iam4uab Offline
All American

I agree with the Rev. here.

I remember going to the Barons' games and being able to go out towards left field and pitch for the radar. If you could guess your pitch speed on your third pitch you would win a prize, like a plastic Barons helmet or something. Why not set up some type of free throw thing for the kids in the concourse, have some promos where the team comes out after the game to sign the free posters that we give out to the first 1200 kids who come in, or even have the football, baseball, soccer, women's Bball teams do the same thing. Make it an event! I remember when we were growing up, we knew we were going to games as a family, the question was which ones, not because of opponents, but because of promotions.

We can't make fans unless we get them in the door. We've got to figure out how to do that, then they fall in love with the team in the process.
01-08-2009 03:37 PM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

I know that I'm being a little self-serving, but.....
I've begun talks with USA about having an ice cream/hot dog eating eating contest at half time at each of their basketball games beginning next year. It might add a 'little' fun to their games, along with some nice publicity for my Bruster's & Nathans.
01-08-2009 03:57 PM
MC Blazer Offline
Grand Dragon of Detroit

BlazerTalk AwardDonators
(01-08-2009 03:57 PM)mobileblazer Wrote:  I know that I'm being a little self-serving, but.....
I've begun talks with USA about having an ice cream/hot dog eating eating contest at half time at each of their basketball games beginning next year. It might add a 'little' fun to their games, along with some nice publicity for my Bruster's & Nathans.

A great idea! I've been pushing Sam for a putting contest for years. UDM uses a portable putting green (a 25' long X 2.5 " wide plywood 2x4 ht. construction with artificial turf cover). UAB could cut a deal for Robert Trent Jones passes for the winners.
01-08-2009 04:13 PM
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
I don't think we should concede anything to Butler.
01-08-2009 04:16 PM
MC Blazer Offline
Grand Dragon of Detroit

BlazerTalk AwardDonators
(01-08-2009 04:16 PM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  I don't think we should concede anything to Butler.

I agree. They had over 8K fans in their 10K house. When they come here, that should be our #1 objective.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2009 04:25 PM by MC Blazer.)
01-08-2009 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-08-2009 03:57 PM)mobileblazer Wrote:  I know that I'm being a little self-serving, but.....

For a eating contest to be somewhat entertaining, it has got to be messy and fast paced. To watch the hot wing "eating" contest that UAB has done for the past few years is like watching paint dry. Two students casually, slowly enjoying their hot wings is not entertaining. I would rather see them shoving them in. But then you have the disgust factor and the possiblilty of choking which I'm sure UAB doesn't want.

With Ice Cream, you do maybe do a ice cream race, where the contestants have to scoop so many scoops of ice cream onto a cone (say 5 or 6 scoops) and then get it to the other end of the court without spilling it in a certain amount of time. That would be much more entertaining than a "umm, this flavor is good. Would you like to try it?" ice cream eating contest.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2009 04:24 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
01-08-2009 04:23 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
I vote for a hot pepper eating contest, with the winner getting a lifetime supply of Dave's Insanity Sauce.
01-08-2009 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-08-2009 04:26 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  I vote for a hot pepper eating contest, with the winner getting a lifetime supply of Dave's Insanity Sauce.

No, the entertainment factor would be that the loser gets the lifetime supply. 03-lmfao
01-08-2009 04:28 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
(01-08-2009 04:28 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(01-08-2009 04:26 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  I vote for a hot pepper eating contest, with the winner getting a lifetime supply of Dave's Insanity Sauce.

No, the entertainment factor would be that the loser gets the lifetime supply. 03-lmfao

Yeah, but I was being selfish, assuming I would be the winner and all.

You could, however, make the loser drink a shot glass of the stuff. Now, that would be entertainment.
01-08-2009 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.