UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting trivia question I have unearthed.
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Interesting trivia question I have unearthed.
In doing the research for BlazerTop 30, I have found an interesting tidbit. Let's see if any of the old timers can figure this one out.

In all of Blazer History, there is only one player who played at least four years for UAB did not go to an NCAA tournament. Who is he?

Note: I am not including players who played five years and sat out the year their team went to the NCAAs. If they were sitting out, they were still considered on the team.

Which player who played at least four years for the Blazers and never got to go to the Big Dance.
01-08-2009 02:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
RE: Interesting trivia question I have unearthed.
Tony Johnson.....UAB hit a dry spell from Tonys freshman through senior seasons and did not go to the NCAA tournament. He was the only UAB player on the roster all four seasons during that dry spell from the 2000 through 2003 seasons.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2009 07:46 AM by TheGORILLA.)
01-08-2009 04:31 AM
MeanGreen Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-08-2009 04:31 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Tony Johnson.....UAB hit a dry spell from Tonys freshman through senior seasons and did not go to the NCAA tournament. He was the only UAB player on the roster all four seasons during that dry spell from the 2000 through 2003 seasons.

Tony was a key reserve on the '04 Sweet Sixteen team.

My guess: Cedric Dixon
01-08-2009 08:10 AM
Advertisement

TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

(01-08-2009 08:10 AM)MeanGreen Wrote:  
(01-08-2009 04:31 AM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Tony Johnson.....UAB hit a dry spell from Tonys freshman through senior seasons and did not go to the NCAA tournament. He was the only UAB player on the roster all four seasons during that dry spell from the 2000 through 2003 seasons.

Tony was a key reserve on the '04 Sweet Sixteen team.

My guess: Cedric Dixon
oh....well...was I close?
01-08-2009 08:26 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

My guess would have to be someone around the timeframe right after Stanley Jackson & George Wilkerson played.

Both played against UCLA, but after that it seems like we hit a dry spell.

Carter Long?
01-08-2009 08:50 AM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Carter Long played in the horrific George Washington game (and had two other four-year players in his class, Reg Allen and Frank Haywood).

Tony Johnson was one of two players (with Marquis Lewis) who decided to show up for the game with Kansas in St. Louis.

I'm pretty sure it was Cedric.
01-08-2009 09:00 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Cedric Dixon is right!
There have been only two four year periods when the Blazers did not go to an NCAA tournament. 1994-1998, when Cedric played, (and he was the only player to play those specific four years) and 1999-2003. Tony Johnson, Mo Finley and Sidney Ball would have fit into this category had they not all been injured and redshirted, thus making them eligible to play in the 2003-04 Sweet 16 run.

I thought it was pretty interesting that in 30 years, UAB has only had one 4 year player who did not go to the NCAAs.

It's a shame for Cedric Dixon though, who was a great player and will show later on the Blazer Top 30 list.
01-08-2009 09:16 AM
Advertisement

uabfanman Offline
1st String

Depending on what happens this year, Howard Crawford may get added to that list. I don't see us making the tournament next year with basically an entirely new roster.
01-08-2009 10:12 AM
MC Blazer Offline
Grand Dragon of Detroit

BlazerTalk AwardDonators
(01-08-2009 10:12 AM)uabfanman Wrote:  Depending on what happens this year, Howard Crawford may get added to that list. I don't see us making the tournament next year with basically an entirely new roster.

Interesting, but doesn't UAB do better when expectations aren't so high? 2002/3/4 come to mind. Before the CUSA Tournament, we weren't expected to make any post season, yet our run in the CUSA Tournament set us up for a decent run in the NIT. In 2004, we were expected to make the NCAA, but no one saw a Sweet 16 run. I've decided I like it better when no one expects anything out of us.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2009 04:20 PM by MC Blazer.)
01-08-2009 10:22 AM
carolina_blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the Blazers
(01-08-2009 09:16 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Cedric Dixon is right!
There have been only two four year periods when the Blazers did not go to an NCAA tournament. 1994-1998, when Cedric played, (and he was the only player to play those specific four years) and 1999-2003. Tony Johnson, Mo Finley and Sidney Ball would have fit into this category had they not all been injured and redshirted, thus making them eligible to play in the 2003-04 Sweet 16 run.

I thought it was pretty interesting that in 30 years, UAB has only had one 4 year player who did not go to the NCAAs.

It's a shame for Cedric Dixon though, who was a great player and will show later on the Blazer Top 30 list.

I guess I hadn't realized that UAB went through a 9 year period in which they made the NCAA's only once. I left Bham in November 1992 and have lived away since then. I've followed the Blazers as best as I can from New York, Florida, North Carolina and now Ohio but it's difficult. Strangely, in the early years of the internet, it was easier to hear the games because that was before teams sold the internet broadcasts to Cuban's old company and others and tried to make guys like me pay $20 to hear radio broadcasts.

Anyway, I know I've fallen out of touch but seeing it in black and white, that UAB didn't go to the NCAA's for 9 years in a row (except for once in the middle) is sort of sobering.
01-08-2009 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.