Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oil Reserves up... THIS IS WHERE WE SHOULD TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Oil Reserves up... THIS IS WHERE WE SHOULD TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT
We are already used to 3.00 dollar a gallon gas. Balance the budget on oil. NOW!!!!!!! It will destroy OPEC. Will help alternative fuels which in turn gets us off of foreign oil. Check Check and Check.
01-07-2009 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Oil Reserves up... THIS IS WHERE WE SHOULD TAX THE HELL OUT OF IT
In the middle of a recession you want to tax the hell out of something that drives growth?

I hear what you are saying, but even if you were to tax it then you should also put in to law you set the price of gas at $3, and if it goes above that the taxes are removed.

But I totally disagree with the tax. Spend less to balance the budget, don't tax more.
01-07-2009 11:52 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-07-2009 11:37 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  We are already used to 3.00 dollar a gallon gas. Balance the budget on oil. NOW!!!!!!! It will destroy OPEC. Will help alternative fuels which in turn gets us off of foreign oil. Check Check and Check.

Are you on crack? We're already used to 3.00 a gallon gas? WTH do you think got us into this mess we're in right now? Our economy tanked DUE to our gas prices rising from a buck to 4 bucks a gallon. It may not have been peachy before, but it was always teetering. Once those prices hit and started increasing, EVERYTHING increased.......but pay.

Yeah, good idea there, chief.
01-07-2009 12:41 PM
Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Yes, oil prices gets some of the blame for our economy, but certainly isn't the only thing. Sub-prime mortgages and a lack of savings by american's yet buying the big screen TV anyway helped in this situation... all of their bills came due.
01-07-2009 12:45 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Oil and Gas are already taxed to hell. Come on Mach, maybe we should cut some wastefull programs (like bailouts) instead of taxing more.
01-07-2009 12:56 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-07-2009 12:45 PM)mlb Wrote:  Yes, oil prices gets some of the blame for our economy, but certainly isn't the only thing. Sub-prime mortgages and a lack of savings by american's yet buying the big screen TV anyway helped in this situation... all of their bills came due.

Those with sub-mortgages were part of the "teetering" effect. Chances are, they were paying their bills, and living paycheck to paycheck, and once gas shot through the roof, increasing the cost of everything else BUT pay, they were f'ed. That's when mortgages started defaulting all over the place.
01-07-2009 01:06 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

What's even more angering, is that now Fuels are down to 1990 prices, you can't afford the stuff on the grocery shelves.

It is like they are "putting away for a rainy day" ...

You know, building up the old bank accounts for when fuel is hijacked and prices fly back up to $5 a gallon.

How does it help us to have low fuel cost, when a $100 dollar bag of groceries just a couple of months ago, now cost $300 ???

So if you toss a Tax back onto Fuel at the Pump and drive the prices back up too over $3 a gallon, you have only added to the burden food prices have risen too.

"WE" never get a real break ....

01-07-2009 01:14 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(01-07-2009 12:41 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(01-07-2009 11:37 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  We are already used to 3.00 dollar a gallon gas. Balance the budget on oil. NOW!!!!!!! It will destroy OPEC. Will help alternative fuels which in turn gets us off of foreign oil. Check Check and Check.

Are you on crack? We're already used to 3.00 a gallon gas? WTH do you think got us into this mess we're in right now? Our economy tanked DUE to our gas prices rising from a buck to 4 bucks a gallon. It may not have been peachy before, but it was always teetering. Once those prices hit and started increasing, EVERYTHING increased.......but pay.

Yeah, good idea there, chief.

Reb is mad cuz he drives an expedition. 05-stirthepot The housing mess was caused by banks selling loan to other banks. People are a lot more careful lending their own money than when they can pass the collections duties on to somebody else.
01-07-2009 01:16 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Guys.... Numero uno should be getting our financial house in order. Deficit is 1.2 trillion. THAT"S THIS ONE YEAR................... The biggest ancillary benefit will be it cuts down on our oil consumption while fostering alternative fuels. You guys have to get to the point where this is a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY.
01-07-2009 01:56 PM
Machiavelli Offline

How about 3/4 tax increase 1/4 cut in spending. I like that.
01-07-2009 02:00 PM
Machiavelli Offline

You guys are going to get to the point where you realize my ideas are in another zip code. I'm advanced and evolved to the point where I'm damn close to being a seperate species. If this country would follow my ideas we'd be a hell of alot better off in a decade.
01-07-2009 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-07-2009 01:16 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Reb is mad cuz he drives an expedition. 05-stirthepot The housing mess was caused by banks selling loan to other banks. People are a lot more careful lending their own money than when they can pass the collections duties on to somebody else.

Reb doesn't drive Ford. As for the housing mess, it wasn't a problem until people started defaulting on their loans en masse.
01-07-2009 02:04 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-07-2009 02:00 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  How about 3/4 tax increase 1/4 cut in spending. I like that.

1/4? You're not getting it, are you?
01-07-2009 02:04 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(01-07-2009 02:03 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  You guys are going to get to the point where you realize my ideas are in another zip code. I'm advanced and evolved to the point where I'm damn close to being a seperate species. If this country would follow my ideas we'd be a hell of alot better off in a decade.

03-rotfl
01-07-2009 02:32 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Well I'm a non-spelling neanderthal knuckle dragger, and I think you're thoughts are stupid on this matter. If a non-spelling neanderthal knuckle dragger thinks that way, I can only imagine what the other "advanced and evolved to the point of being close to a seperate species" think about your stupid thoughts on this matter.

More taxes is not the answer.
01-07-2009 02:48 PM
Machiavelli Offline

It was a joke GB.
01-07-2009 03:07 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Charles Krauthammer has an article in this week's Weekly Standard advocating something he calls the "Revenue Neutral Gasoline Tax." Basically the idea is you raise taxes on gasoline, and give each taxpayer a break on some other tax (he uses the social security payroll deduction) to offset. Say the average American uses 14 gallons a week, and you impose a tax of $1/gallon. Then you would reduce everyone's social security tax by $14/week. This would help with the objective of reducing gasoline consumption, while at the same time avoiding a huge negative impact on average and lower income people. You drive less than the average, or use a more fuel-efficient auto, and you actually make money on the deal.

I would do the mechanics slightly differently, since I favor the Fair Tax with prefund and would just add the $14/week to the prefund amount.
01-07-2009 03:47 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I always respected Krauthammer. WE NEED TO DO THIS NOW!
01-07-2009 03:54 PM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Can you imagine what raising gas taxes would do to shipping costs? How many businesses that rely on a fleet of vehicles in their everyday operations that would go under? Look at how many went under or barely scraped by during the short period that gas was $3/gallon plus. Now imagine if those prices were permanent. Think goods are expensive now? Go through with this and see what happens.
01-07-2009 04:11 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Was I the only one that knew this was a joke?...Good one Mach!04-bow
01-07-2009 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.