UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did the Birmingham News not even cover the game yesterday?
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Did the Birmingham News not even cover the game yesterday?
No pregame story on Saturday. No Irvine write up on Sunday. At least online.

The only thing I can find is the AP writeup.

This is an embarrassment. I have heard the excuses about why they haven't covered out of town games, but what is the excuse this time?

UAB should pull their press passes and charge them admission.
01-04-2009 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ShelbyCoBlazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB Blazers
RE: Did the Birmingham News not even cover the game yesterday?
S. Irvine was there and was typing away after the game.
01-04-2009 10:04 AM
birminghambaron Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB
There was a write up in the News today.
01-04-2009 10:36 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Irvine did a story. The problem lies in Tom Arenberg. Apparently he feels that only the late edition of the paper is worthy of UAB stories. The early edition, which people outside the B-Ham City limits get, and the online edition which people out of state are stuck with a a source of Blazer information should not include any UAB stories or information because they are of the opinion the only Blazer fans in the state reside in the City of Birmingham.

Tom Arenberg and the snews need to get their head out of their ass and realize that outside of a small group on campus most Blazer fans DO NOT live within the city limits of Birmingham and we do have to rely on the early edition and the online edition for our Blazer news.

I am sick of the Birmingham Snews and Tom Arenberg. It's a shame Steve Irvine is stuck at that two bit fish wrapper they call a paper. His talents are being wasted. They should just remane the Snews Turd Talk because that's all it is except for the occasional Auburn story or a feature piece on something most people don't give two hoots about.

:rolltide: Tom and his newspaper.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2009 11:00 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
01-04-2009 11:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
The Birmingham News will fold within three years. Most print dailies that haven't tried to figure out the Web are doomed. The News is one of those papers.
01-04-2009 12:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(01-04-2009 12:11 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  The Birmingham News will fold within three years. Most print dailies that haven't tried to figure out the Web are doomed. The News is one of those papers.

Who owns al.com, GN? I thought it was a media group that does other "online newspapers" for other states/regions, but I thought the group included the major newspaper companies. If they (the Snews, Register, etc.) completely outsourced their online presence to a group with no stake in their survival as a paper then they deserve every bit of their fate.
01-04-2009 12:28 PM
Advertisement

BandGrad Offline
Heisman

There was a basketball game yesterday????? 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot
01-04-2009 12:43 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
al.com does not give two rips about UAB and the UAB forum is moderated by a Turd fan.
01-04-2009 12:45 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2009 12:51 PM by cb4029.)
01-04-2009 12:47 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

If a media outlet, channel, paper, radio, magazine, etc. would focus on everyone except UAT & Aubs they would get my money. There is a nice untapped marked out there for the rest of us.
01-04-2009 12:49 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
That forum still exists? I haven't been by there in years..
01-04-2009 12:49 PM
Advertisement

BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

Steve was at Bradley also.. He does hit the road to cover the team.
01-04-2009 06:34 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-04-2009 06:34 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  Steve was at Bradley also.. He does hit the road to cover the team.

So now the News is sending the beat writer to cover teams that we aren't even playing??????03-banghead 03-banghead

j/k.

I think you mean Butler.

Maybe it was Bradley we scouted. 03-lmfao
01-04-2009 06:42 PM
LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

(01-04-2009 12:49 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  If a media outlet, channel, paper, radio, magazine, etc. would focus on everyone except UAT & Aubs they would get my money. There is a nice untapped marked out there for the rest of us.

I was walking into Sam's the other day when one of the paper guys asked me if I wanted to get a subscription. I told him I would be happy to buy one just as soon as they fire Arenburg and give UAB better coverage.
01-04-2009 06:54 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-04-2009 06:54 PM)LightEmUp70 Wrote:  
(01-04-2009 12:49 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  If a media outlet, channel, paper, radio, magazine, etc. would focus on everyone except UAT & Aubs they would get my money. There is a nice untapped marked out there for the rest of us.

I was walking into Sam's the other day when one of the paper guys asked me if I wanted to get a subscription. I told him I would be happy to buy one just as soon as they fire Arenburg and give UAB better coverage.

03-lmfao I'm sure the homeless guy they contract to stand in front of Sams selling subscriptions immediately got on the phone and got that ball rolling.
01-04-2009 07:07 PM
LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

(01-04-2009 07:07 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

03-lmfao I'm sure the homeless guy they contract to stand in front of Sams selling subscriptions immediately got on the phone and got that ball rolling.

I didn't ask him to...
01-04-2009 07:25 PM
Advertisement

Blaze4Pres Offline
Campaign Advisor

(01-04-2009 07:25 PM)LightEmUp70 Wrote:  
(01-04-2009 07:07 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

I didn't ask him to...

You told him to?
01-04-2009 07:40 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
(01-04-2009 12:28 PM)blazr Wrote:  
(01-04-2009 12:11 PM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  The Birmingham News will fold within three years. Most print dailies that haven't tried to figure out the Web are doomed. The News is one of those papers.

Who owns al.com, GN? I thought it was a media group that does other "online newspapers" for other states/regions, but I thought the group included the major newspaper companies. If they (the Snews, Register, etc.) completely outsourced their online presence to a group with no stake in their survival as a paper then they deserve every bit of their fate.

The News has no stake as far as I know in Al.com. It's a national news organization that has several different newspapers. Al.com carries the content from the News, The Huntsville Times and the Mobile Press-Register. Not all of the print content from those pubs is on the Web site.

The News has no idea how to run a Web site.

Here's the info from their Web site:
Quote:About Advance Publications, Inc.

Advance Publications, Inc., is a privately held communications company that owns Condé Nast Publications, Parade Publications, Fairchild Publications, American City Business Journals, the Golf Digest Companies, and newspapers in more than twenty American cities; Advance Publications also has extensive interests in cable television, as well as in Internet sites which are related to its print publications.

They also own the print version of the paper. However, they seem to have some weird separation of ownership system between the print and online side of operations that I don't understand.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2009 08:35 PM by Grammar-Nazi.)
01-04-2009 08:23 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Out here in Cropwell, the BB game write-up was on page 10C along with all state BB coverage(Mike Bolton's article on myths about the deer "rut" was on 9C). They did have T.C. Cannon's letter critical of Mike Davis as being "the wrong coach" for UAB on 2C.

There were three Bama related pieces on page 1C, one Auburn piece and a big spread on the NFL playoff games.
01-04-2009 09:15 PM
BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
Here in Tuscaloosa-South, there wasn't even a blurb. You had to search for the final score in the scoreboard section.
01-04-2009 09:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.