Let's Review The Season So Far
Bookmark and Share
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
Let's Review The Season So Far
We opened up with wins over three really bad teams:

Pepperdine, Cal Poly, and Louisiana Tech

Then we get our only quality win of the year against Creighton.

And in the last 10 games we have gone .500, with only four of those games on the road. We have one fairly good road win over Oral Roberts in that stretch, and two home losses, with another very close call against Louisiana-Monroe.

I was disappointed by the Wright State loss, but knew with their coaching they would end up being pretty good, which has turned out to be true. I was also disappointed in the Rice loss, but thought maybe they were better than we thought. Think again, they lost by 31 to the Richmond Spiders today 74-43. The Spiders have a pretty good team, but I also thought the Trojans had a pretty good team. The Spiders absolutely crush Rice at home and the Trojans lose at home to the same Rice Owls. You do the math.

So after 14 games, we have betten one really good team, beaten other potentially decent teams in ASU and ORU, and lost to or been taken to overtime by a couple of not so good teams at home.

All in all, not a very good report card for a senior laden favorite of the SBC West.
01-03-2009 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Let's Review The Season So Far
(01-03-2009 10:22 PM)PTJR Wrote:  We opened up with wins over three really bad teams:

And in the last 10 games we have gone .500, with only four of those games on the road. We have one fairly good road win over Oral Roberts in that stretch, and two home losses, with another very close call against Louisiana-Monroe.

I was disappointed by the Wright State loss, but knew with their coaching they would end up being pretty good, which has turned out to be true. I was also disappointed in the Rice loss, but thought maybe they were better than we thought. Think again, they lost by 31 to the Richmond Spiders today 74-43. The Spiders have a pretty good team, but I also thought the Trojans had a pretty good team. The Spiders absolutely crush Rice at home and the Trojans lose at home to the same Rice Owls. You do the math.

So after 14 games, we have betten one really good team, beaten other potentially decent teams in ASU and ORU, and lost to or been taken to overtime by a couple of not so good teams at home.

All in all, not a very good report card for a senior laden favorite of the SBC West.

Once again fooled by scouting reports by fans watching us practice against ourselves. I guess we always look talented against ourselves. Then a 5-0 start with a win over Creighton seemed to justify that. I still think we are competitive with the majority of the Sun Belt teams- but we are clearly below WKU and MTSU. We'll see about UNT on Thursday. We'll be competitive at home- I just don't see who we will beat on the road other than a depleted FIU team (if they remain depleted).
01-03-2009 10:32 PM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(01-03-2009 10:32 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(01-03-2009 10:22 PM)PTJR Wrote:  We opened up with wins over three really bad teams:

Once again fooled by scouting reports by fans watching us practice against ourselves. I guess we always look talented against ourselves. Then a 5-0 start with a win over Creighton seemed to justify that. I still think we are competitive with the majority of the Sun Belt teams- but we are clearly below WKU and MTSU. We'll see about UNT on Thursday. We'll be competitive at home- I just don't see who we will beat on the road other than a depleted FIU team (if they remain depleted).

Actually, I was relying on the preseason predictions by people other than our fans. All of the media that I saw picked us first in the west or tied for first in the west as the best team. Those guys don't have a dog in the emotional hunt like we do, but they would have to be pretty disappointed with our showing so far don't you think?
01-03-2009 10:41 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
How many games have we lost that we ought to have won? Rice, for sure. Maybe MSU (remains to be seen, it was on the road). Probably Wright State (although that also could change). Two losses that we ought to have won is too many.

How many have we won that we ought to have lost? Creighton, for sure, even at home.
01-04-2009 10:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.