Thread Closed 
Pitt Accepts Sun Bowl Bid
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Pitt Accepts Sun Bowl Bid
No. 23 Pittsburgh Topples UConn To Earn Bid To 75th Annual Brut Sun Bowl

EL PASO, Texas (December 6, 2008) - The University of Pittsburgh has accepted an invitation to play in the 75th annual Brut Sun Bowl, announced Sun Bowl Association executive director Bernie Olivas. The game will pit No. 23 Pittsburgh against a team from the Pac-10 Conference on Wednesday, Dec. 31 at noon (MT) at Sun Bowl Stadium.

"We are extremely happy to have extended an invitation to Pittsburgh to play in the 75th anniversary of the Brut Sun Bowl," said Sun Bowl Association executive director Bernie Olivas. "Pittsburgh has a storied football program and will be making its third trip to El Paso. They area team on the rise and we could not be more excited."

Pittsburgh (9-3, 5-2 Big East) secured the selection with a 34-10 road win over Connecticut. The win marked the fourth win in the last five games for the Panthers. Pittsburgh's opponent from the Pac-10 will be announced on Sunday at 5 p.m. MT.

"Everything about Pittsburgh right now is a positive. They really bring so much to the table," said SBA football chairman John Folmer. "Running back LeSean McCoy will remind a lot of people of Tony Dorsett, who rushed for 142 yards in the 1975 Sun Bowl for Pittsburgh. Local fans will also remember (head coach) Dave Wannstedt, who spent four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys."

This marks Pittsburgh first nine-win regular season since 1982.

"Pitt football and the Sun Bowl are synonymous with great football tradition. It is an honor for us to be playing in the 75th anniversary of a game that has meant so much to college football. We can't wait to bring our fine team to El Paso."

This will mark the third appearance by the Panthers in the Brut Sun Bowl. The Panthers first came to El Paso under the direction of Johnny Majors in 1975 and returned in 1989 with Paul Hackett at the helm.

"A trip to El Paso for this year's Sun Bowl is a tremendous reward for our football program and university," said Pittsburgh head coach Dave Wannstedt. "I had the pleasure of being part of this great bowl game as a first-year grad assistant at Pitt with Coach Majors back in 1975. Moreover, my family and I are looking forward to returning to the great state of Texas, where we lived during my days coaching with the Dallas Cowboys. The Sun Bowl has strong tradition and we are excited to add to its wonderful history this New Year's Eve."

Pittsburgh defeated Kansas, 33-19, in the 1975 Sun Bowl. Wannstedt served as a graduate assistant coach for Majors. The Panthers set an NCAA bowl game record that day, as three players from the same team rushed for 100 yards. Tony Dorsett rushed for 142 yards and two touchdowns and Elliott Walker added 123 yards and two touchdowns, while the game's MVP, quarterback Robert Haygood, added 101 yards rushing and 60 yards through the air on eight of 11 passing.

Pittsburgh returned to the Sun Bowl in 1989 to take on Texas A&M. A freshman quarterback named Alex Van Pelt led the Panthers on a come-from-behind victory to secure a 31-28 win over the Aggies. Swervin' Curvin Richards rushed for 156 yards that day for Pitt, while Van Pelt completed 20 of 40 passes for 354 yards and two touchdowns.

This marks the 25th bowl appearance by Pittsburgh, but the first since the 2004 season, when the Panthers won a share of the Big East Conference title and participated in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. Pittsburgh is 11-13 all-time in bowl appearance and 2-0 in the Brut Sun Bowl.

The Panthers are 22-22 against Pac-10 schools all-time - Arizona (1-0), Arizona State (0-1), California (3-2), Oregon (2-2), Oregon State (1-0), Stanford (2-1), UCLA (5-9), USC (4-6) and Washington (4-1).

The 75th Annual Brut Sun Bowl is scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 31 at noon (MST). CBS Sports will broadcast the game for the 41st consecutive year, which is the longest running partnership between a network and a bowl game. Ticket prices for the game are $15, $20, $30, $40, $50, and $60. Tickets can be purchased at the Sun Bowl Association office (915-533-4416, 800-915-2695 or ticket@sunbowl.orgThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it ), online at http://www.ticketmaster.com or at any TicketMaster outlet.

http://www.sunbowl.org/index.php?option=...8&Itemid=2
12-06-2008 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: Pitt Accepts Sun Bowl Bid
Congratulations to the Panthers!!
12-06-2008 10:07 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Congrats, the people in El Paso put on a good show.
If you go make sure you hit barbeques and see Carlsbad's caverns
12-06-2008 10:07 PM
Yosemite Panther Offline
Special Teams

Shannon Panther Wrote:Pittsburgh returned to the Sun Bowl in 1989 to take on Texas A&M. A freshman quarterback named Alex Van Pelt led the Panthers on a come-from-behind victory to secure a 31-28 win over the Aggies. Swervin' Curvin Richards rushed for 156 yards that day for Pitt, while Van Pelt completed 20 of 40 passes for 354 yards and two touchdowns.

I was at that game in 1989 and I'll be there this year too.

Shannon Panther Wrote:The Panthers are 22-22 against Pac-10 schools all-time - Arizona (1-0), Arizona State (0-1), California (3-2), Oregon (2-2), Oregon State (1-0), Stanford (2-1), UCLA (5-9), USC (4-6) and Washington (4-1).

Just curious about our other BE schools, it is doubtful that anyone else in the Big East has played that many games against the Pac-10, right?
12-06-2008 10:08 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Yosemite Panther Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:The Panthers are 22-22 against Pac-10 schools all-time - Arizona (1-0), Arizona State (0-1), California (3-2), Oregon (2-2), Oregon State (1-0), Stanford (2-1), UCLA (5-9), USC (4-6) and Washington (4-1).

Just curious about our other BE schools, it is doubtful that anyone else in the Big East has played that many games against the Pac-10, right?

Can't speak for the other Big East teams, but SU has played Pac-10 teams only 26 times but our record is 16-10 against them. 03-wink

Hard to believe though that we have never played Stanford, a fellow private institution.

Cheers,
Neil
12-06-2008 10:16 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Congrats Panthers. You turned it around pretty well after the opening day disaster. Folks cant really smack Wanstedt anymore. He's getting it done, and I think the Panthers will be very good next season.

Also cograts to all of the other BE bowl teams. 04-cheers
12-06-2008 11:05 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
cuseroc Wrote:Folks cant really smack Wanstedt anymore
Schiano can 03-nutkick But in all seriousness congrats to Pitt after that lost to Bowling Green I would have never expected them to come back and win 9 games finish tied for 2nd and in the top 25. Pretty impressive guys and good luck against Oregon St/Cal.
12-06-2008 11:11 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
UltimateCFBfan Wrote:
cuseroc Wrote:Folks cant really smack Wanstedt anymore
Schiano can 03-nutkick
What will I do for fun now? 03-hissyfit

However, even in the NFL Wanny had a season or 2 in which his teams did okay. But I'm reserving judgement until he repeats this success...
12-06-2008 11:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Congrats! Go down there and kick some butt!
12-06-2008 11:23 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
Congrats. ND can suck it!
12-06-2008 11:28 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Cubanbull Wrote:Congrats, the people in El Paso put on a good show.
If you go make sure you hit barbeques and see Carlsbad's caverns

Just don't go to Mexico: Linky
12-06-2008 11:33 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

By the way, it looks like it will be Oregon or Oregon State in that bowl, Cal is going to the Emerald Bowl.
12-06-2008 11:37 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
More than probably Oregon state since Oregon went last year and did not take many fans
12-06-2008 11:39 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Congrats Pitt. You boys deserve this one.
12-07-2008 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Yea Pitt is going to be playing Oregon St.

I'm going to get my tickets asap. Got to buy em before the locals do.
12-07-2008 12:30 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Man, Oregon State vs Pittsburgh is going to be a VERY good game!
12-07-2008 12:45 AM
Yosemite Panther Offline
Special Teams

CatsClaw Wrote:Man, Oregon State vs Pittsburgh is going to be a VERY good game!

The Beavs are becoming a regular opponent. It will be our 2nd bowl game against the Beavers in the last 6 years. We beat them in Phoenix in the Insight Bowl in 2002, 38-13. They had 2 NFLers in their backfield that night, the Browns Derek Anderson at QB and the Rams Steven Jackson at TB. We had some guy named Fitzgerald catching passes for us.04-bow
12-07-2008 01:26 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.