Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rutgers to Motor City Bowl?
chrisRU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers, NJIT
Rutgers to Motor City Bowl?
Quote:"Yes, it's something we're looking at," Hoffman said. "We think it's a very interesting situation. Clearly, Rutgers is on our radar screen and we hope we're on theirs. We'll have to see how things play out."

The prospects for a rematch with Ball State, currently 12-0, really aren't that much of a reach for Rutgers, either.

If Pittsburgh and West Virginia fill the Sun Bowl and Meineke Car Care Bowl slots, the International Bowl has the next choice of a Big East team -- ahead of the Papajohns.com Bowl and the St. Petersburg Bowl.

So the International Bowl -- meaning Hoffman -- would then choose Rutgers and send the Knights to Detroit to play unbeaten Ball State. If the Cardinals lose to Buffalo, a swap won't be made.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index....rutge.html
12-05-2008 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
RE: Rutgers to Motor City Bowl?
If they mess up Buff-Conn matchup in Toronto, somebody should be shot
12-05-2008 03:51 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Geez, Temple... I’m in England right now, but what’s YOUR excuse for being up so late (or is it early?)?
12-05-2008 04:17 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Apparently NJ.com thinks we played Ball State, that's news to this season ticket holder. But the Motor City would be light years better than Birmingham.
12-05-2008 05:49 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
brista21 Wrote:Apparently NJ.com thinks we played Ball State, that's news to this season ticket holder. But the Motor City would be light years better than Birmingham.

It is confusing but he was saying that Rutgers played Ball State in last year's International Bowl so if RU played BSU in a bowl this year it would be 'a post-season rematch'
12-05-2008 06:49 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Im not sure that Rutgers can go to Motor City Bowl and leave a BE bowl hanging. But certaintly that would be a better choice
12-05-2008 07:23 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators
Hoquista Wrote:
brista21 Wrote:Apparently NJ.com thinks we played Ball State, that's news to this season ticket holder. But the Motor City would be light years better than Birmingham.

It is confusing but he was saying that Rutgers played Ball State in last year's International Bowl so if RU played BSU in a bowl this year it would be 'a post-season rematch'

Yea it hit me about a half hour later what was being implied. I didn't read the full article just the excerpt so that didn't help matters any.
12-05-2008 08:32 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Louisville and Notre Dame are both Bowl Elligible to fill the slots... just wait to accept until after the Sun Bowl and Car Care bowl take their picks
12-05-2008 09:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Detroit?

Here's what some folks think of Detroit.03-lmfao

"Take him to........"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09GtnWdB...re=related
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2008 09:49 AM by KnightLight.)
12-05-2008 09:48 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
KnightLight Wrote:

Detroit?

"Take him to........"

Folks can say what they want about Detroit, but I would much rather go to Detroit than anywhere in Alabama, and its not even a matter of consideration.
12-05-2008 10:17 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
bearcatmark Wrote:Louisville and Notre Dame are both Bowl Elligible to fill the slots... just wait to accept until after the Sun Bowl and Car Care bowl take their picks
When did Louisville win a 6th game? I thought they blew their shot at that last night... 07-coffee3
12-05-2008 10:43 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators
cuseroc Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:

Detroit?

"Take him to........"

Folks can say what they want about Detroit, but I would much rather go to Detroit than anywhere in Alabama, and its not even a matter of consideration.

Yup and its also much closer for those of us who would be making the trip by driving. 9 to 10 hours compared to around 15 hours.
12-05-2008 11:11 AM
Derby Offline
tigris rex

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
bearcatmark Wrote:Louisville and Notre Dame are both Bowl Elligible to fill the slots... just wait to accept until after the Sun Bowl and Car Care bowl take their picks
Since when is a 5-7 Louisville squad bowl eligible?
12-05-2008 11:44 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
my bad

I think i was just pretending Louisville couldn't possibly lose to Syracuse two straight seasons
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2008 12:46 PM by bearcatmark.)
12-05-2008 12:45 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
The original half-baked scheme was for the International Bowl to select Rutgers for the second straight year. That would have forced Connecticut to go to the Papa John's Bowl. Then the Motor City Bowl would have traded its pick, most likely at-large Big Ten replacement North Carolina State, to the International Bowl in exchange for the Scarlet Knights.

That means Rutgers would have been screwed by being sent to Detroit for a rematch with the same freaking MAC team that the Scarlet Knights faced last postseason. Then the Huskies would have also gotten screwed by being denied a trip to Toronto where the vast majority of the fanbase can easily travel. This putrid plot is most likely dead now though.
12-06-2008 07:05 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

Did you guys play Ball State last year in Toronto? Usually bowls like to avoid rematches in back-to-back seasons.
12-06-2008 09:13 AM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
Krocker Krapp Wrote:The original half-baked scheme was for the International Bowl to select Rutgers for the second straight year. That would have forced Connecticut to go to the Papa John's Bowl. Then the Motor City Bowl would have traded its pick, most likely at-large Big Ten replacement North Carolina State, to the International Bowl in exchange for the Scarlet Knights.

That means Rutgers would have been screwed by being sent to Detroit for a rematch with the same freaking MAC team that the Scarlet Knights faced last postseason. Then the Huskies would have also gotten screwed by being denied a trip to Toronto where the vast majority of the fanbase can easily travel. This putrid plot is most likely dead now though.

With the MAC Champion being in Toronto that completly changes the dynamics of the decision making process. The MAC may want the best opponent now in Toronto.

Ball State is now positioned for the GMAC. It will be Central Michigan playing in the Motor City Bowl.

As of this morning, Rutgers is actually the #2 team in the Big East standings. Pitt may slip down to the #5 selection if they lose behind WVU and UConn. That would send WVU to Charlotte and UConn to Toronto.

If the PAC-10 can fill the Hawaii slot, ND will be forced to play in the MCB because the Sun Belt agreement keeps them out of the Independence and WMU wants Texas Bowl.

It will be ND or NC St. in the Motor City Bowl to play a 8-4 CMU team.
12-06-2008 11:28 AM
rferry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Terps, BE bball
Ball State didn't "fall" to the GMAC. They were requested to set up a meeting with Tulsa.

And I don't think the Big East has restrictive policies over bowl selection. 5th place can be the the 2nd pick, 2nd the 5th, etc.
12-06-2008 04:16 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.