ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Aloha
Aloha
Posted by BKoch at 12/4/2008 12:23 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

This is my third trip to Hawaii, all compliments of the UC athletic program. Well, not really. They don't pay for any of this. Let's get that on the record. But if it weren't for UC making these trips, it's doubtful that I would have. So, good scheduling on the Bearcats' part. My first trip here was way back in 1989, Bob Huggins' first year as head coach. Paul Keels was the play-by-play guy on radio. I was working at The Post and Tom Groeschen was covering UC for The Enquirer. In between covering UC's games in the Rainbow Classic - inlcuding one where they held their own against Duke - the three of us had a great time. Groesch knew this elderly Japanese-American couple, Robert and Florence, who were friends of his wife and they picked us up one day and drove us around to all the spots that tourists don't normally see. They talked about living here during the Pearl Harbor attack and how difficult life was for them immediately after that because of their Japanese descent. But they were sweet, delightful people who went out of their way to be gracious to us that day. Every year after that in December they would send along three Hawaii calendars to Groesch with instructions that he make sure he give one each to Bill and Paul. And so every year around this time, Groesch would either call or just show up one day with that calendar, which always brought a smile to our faces. That lasted for about 18 years, until a few years ago Groesch's friends passed away. So one of my missions on this trip is to make sure I bring home a calendar for Groesch. I'm not sure about Keels. Anyway, it's great here, warm and balmy, as you would expect, and a nice respite from December in Cincinnati. The Bearcats practiced at Aloha Stadium after they arrived yesterday. They're in meetings now at the hotel and they're scheduled to practice again in a few hours.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...innati.com

12-04-2008 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
RE: Aloha
Koch should do his research. Paul Keels was NOT the basketball announcer in Huggs first year. It was Thom Brennamen and Derrick Dickey.

Oh well -- made up stores are better than none.

12-04-2008 04:18 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Wasn't Keels on the radio? I thought Brennamen was just on TV.

12-04-2008 04:43 PM
HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Donators
mlb Wrote:Wasn't Keels on the radio? I thought Brennamen was just on TV.

I was thinking the same thing.

12-04-2008 04:59 PM
Advertisement

QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I remember listening to Thom and Derrick together. I thought they were one of the best teams ever.

12-04-2008 05:11 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

Of course, I could be wrong!

12-04-2008 05:11 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
QSECOFR Wrote:Of course, I could be wrong!

I believe you are this time. Keels did radio, Brennaman did TV. I think he then moved to Chicago (Cubs), and then to Arizona (Diamondbacks), before being hired back here. The following is taken from Wikipedia on Keels:

Paul Keels is the current play-by-play announcer for Ohio State University's football and men's basketball teams for WBNS Radio and the Ohio State Buckeyes Radio Network. His career began in his hometown of Cincinnati as a News Anchor/Report for WLW Radio in 1979. He then left for WJR Radio in Detroit to call games for the NBA Detroit Pistons. (1980-81) Then came a move to WWJ Radio in Detroit to call Football and Basketball for the University of Michigan from 1981-87. Follwing a year at UPI Radio Network in Washington DC, Paul returned to his hometown of Cincinnati in 1988, to become the voice of the University of Cincinnati Bearcats and host a sports talk show on WCKY-AM. From 1992-95, Paul hosted a Morning News Show on WHIO Radio in Dayton. In 1995, he again became play-by-play voice for the University of Cincinnati on WLW Radio, then in 1996, added the Bengals play by play duties. Following the 1996 football season, WLW's parent company, Jacor Communications, lost the rights to the Bengals, and Paul continued Broadcasting Football & Basketball for the University of Cincinnati. He joined WBNS Radio and the Ohio State Buckeyes Radio Network in 1998.

Paul has returned to work for the Bengals, as the pre-seaon announcer on WKRC-TV, with former Bengal offensive lineman Anthony Munoz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Keels

12-04-2008 07:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.