Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

St. Mary's Thread
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
St. Mary's Thread
Last year's thread was only 7 pages long. How far will this one go?
12-03-2008 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ksugldnflshs Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent State
RE: St. Mary's Thread
Must win, period.
12-03-2008 09:11 AM
Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

no exceptions
12-03-2008 09:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

We are going to need everyone else to step up to the level Al is playing at. They are going to
-at least try- to shut him down. Of course, he is not human, so I don't know if thats possible. However, we are going to need to put up some serious shooting percentages.
12-03-2008 11:18 AM
DavidCarducci Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Hiram & Kent St
Here's the other thing .... PEOPLE HAVE TO SHOW UP AT THIS GAME

It needs to be as difficult an atmosphere as KSU faced at Saint Mary's last year.

Another sad crowd in the 3,000's won't get it done.
12-03-2008 11:59 AM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Great point Dave! After I go to class I am going to write an email to DKS to have a headline that says something like this, "Please go to the game!" If anyone would like to get a head start on me, here's the information for the DKS editor:

KentNewsNet editor
Kristine Gill
kgill2@kent.edu
12-03-2008 12:15 PM
Advertisement

ksugldnflshs Offline
2nd String

DavidCarducci Wrote:Here's the other thing .... PEOPLE HAVE TO SHOW UP AT THIS GAME

It needs to be as difficult an atmosphere as KSU faced at Saint Mary's last year.

Another sad crowd in the 3,000's won't get it done.

I agree with you there, but as an out-of-towner, I would have liked for the game to be on the weekend. Unfortunately, it's only December and football is still front and center, so a crowd of 4000 is probably the best that can be expected. Also, St. Mary's isn't a "name brand" school, so I doubt the casual fan will even be interested.
12-03-2008 12:24 PM
oldflash Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent
Not so concerned for the size of the crowd, though the more the merrier.
What I want to see is an enthusiastic crowd...and particulary the student sections. It is tough to rally the troops this early in the season and particularly toward the end of the semester and between the holidays.
TO THE STUDENTS....get there early, get loud and have some fun!
I'll see what I can do to stir up the old folks!!!!
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2008 12:36 PM by oldflash.)
12-03-2008 12:35 PM
Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

Actually, I have heard an unusually large buzz on campus regarding this game. They have been handing out tickets to everyone walking by the MAC center for the past 3 days and I am bringing a crowd of 20+ students with me. As far as the Kent community is concerned, they are near worthless for a town that is so lucky to have some sort of admirable D1 athletics sitting in their laps.
12-03-2008 12:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

Bigger crowds are more typical on the week days. Since a lot of the students leave campus on weekends, I think a Thursday night game is more ideal to have a bigger student crowd.
12-03-2008 12:37 PM
oldflash Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent
Kballard122 Wrote:As far as the Kent community is concerned, they are near worthless for a town that is so lucky to have some sort of admirable D1 athletics sitting in their laps.
As a longtime season ticket holder, I could be defensive about such a remark but, I am too often disappointed in the support Kent basketball particularly receives from the local community.
Part of the problem rests with the location. There are just too many other things to draw people elsewhere -- a challenege for anyone seeking to attract entertainiment spending these days. But a bigger part of the problem rests with the lack of real marketing from the athletic department, both in getting people into the building as well as in treating them well when they do get there. Up until the last year or so, there was little advertising/promotion at all, and what there is currently lacks any creativity or cohesive plan.
Things like familiy packages with discounted seats, food and a souvenir item -- especially for these bigger games - would go a long way toward showing people there are value-priced ways to take the kids out for an event that is exciting and fun and family-friendly.
And the way the concession stands are managed is a disgrace -- when there is a real crowd, you can miss 10-20 minutes of the game trying to get something to eat or drink.
For the casual fan, you have to give him a reason to come. And for all fans, you have to give them reasons to return. As sad as it seems, having a good product on the floor and winning along do not get it done.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2008 12:52 PM by oldflash.)
12-03-2008 12:50 PM
Advertisement

Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

oldflash, unfortunately as a season ticket holder, you are an exception, not the rule. I'm pretty sure I will be a perennial season ticket holder after I graduate. I think that it is awesome that you are still a fan post-graduation. But I am disappointed in the fact that there are so many people that graduated from this school around here that take no pride either. I work as an engineer in the liquid crystals building with tons of Kent grads that know nothing about the basketball program 300 yards down the sidewalk. It would help if they tried to advertise better in the area. Maybe we should order those fathead things of all of our players and start putting them all over the city. Use the giant lebron james concept in Cleveland that Nike has.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2008 01:17 PM by Kballard122.)
12-03-2008 01:15 PM
GFlash68 Online
All American

Crappies
oldflash Wrote:
Kballard122 Wrote:As far as the Kent community is concerned, they are near worthless for a town that is so lucky to have some sort of admirable D1 athletics sitting in their laps.
As a longtime season ticket holder, I could be defensive about such a remark but, I am too often disappointed in the support Kent basketball particularly receives from the local community.
Part of the problem rests with the location. There are just too many other things to draw people elsewhere -- a challenege for anyone seeking to attract entertainiment spending these days. But a bigger part of the problem rests with the lack of real marketing from the athletic department, both in getting people into the building as well as in treating them well when they do get there. Up until the last year or so, there was little advertising/promotion at all, and what there is currently lacks any creativity or cohesive plan.
Things like familiy packages with discounted seats, food and a souvenir item -- especially for these bigger games - would go a long way toward showing people there are value-priced ways to take the kids out for an event that is exciting and fun and family-friendly.
And the way the concession stands are managed is a disgrace -- when there is a real crowd, you can miss 10-20 minutes of the game trying to get something to eat or drink.
For the casual fan, you have to give him a reason to come. And for all fans, you have to give them reasons to return. As sad as it seems, having a good product on the floor and winning along do not get it done.

Oldfan, I too am of that vintage and degree of participation, so I could also be defensive. Actually, I have very strong feelings about the backwardness of the City of Kent. The excuse that there are too many other things to do just does not fly. Kent is not a mecca. The town - university relations are the worst that I know of and I have been to many university towns. And yes, the university and athletic department are totally incompetent in dealing with these matters. Cleveland State plays Butler tonight and they are opeining the doors 2 hours early for an old fashion tail gate party. Hot dogs, etc, are a dollar with competitive activities and give aways for the students are offered. I bet they have a great crowd. The fact of the matter is, we get what we deserve, not really, we get better than we deserve. We have been very lucky.
12-03-2008 02:06 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
I was at the game last year versus SMC and their place was rocking. I can also tell you Diamon Simpson is a stud and will give us big problems. SMC is really good and this would be a big win for us. I really would not be surprised to see us be an underdog, even at home.
12-03-2008 03:18 PM
Kballard122 Offline
Special Teams

Ruining their win streak at home doesn't really matter any more if we let them do it back to us
12-03-2008 03:32 PM
Agent Maxwell Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Competence
The community involvement with the athletic department pretty much extends to when the local CYO teams play during halftime of the KSU games. Though I think there was a time a few years ago when the Akron Zoo had an exhibit in the atrium prior to a women's game.

Most importantly, for those outside of Kent with an interest in seeing a rematch of what was a thrilling game last year (and with a couple big-time performers in Al and Patty Mills from SMC), is there a telecast for this game? Is it on TV at all?

/insert head-scratching emoticon
12-03-2008 03:35 PM
Advertisement

luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
This is a must win game after the past weekend, I would hope that we have a large crowd since this is our marquee OOC game. I wasnt real disappointed with the crowds at the first two games considering who we were playing, but for this game no excuses. everyone needs to show up and be loud!!!!!!!!!!!

GO FLASHES!!!!!!!!!
12-03-2008 03:58 PM
eliteeight02 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
key game, after this schedule softens up somewhat, for basically the rest of the year, we are almost out of the fire... need this to keep alive any dreams of an at large bid, but still as bad as we got whipped by kansas, don't see anyone other than Miami (OH) who could be a serious threat to us in the MAC so far... Do you guys????
12-03-2008 04:07 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
luckyflash Wrote:This is a must win game after the past weekend, I would hope that we have a large crowd since this is our marquee OOC game. I wasnt real disappointed with the crowds at the first two games considering who we were playing, but for this game no excuses. everyone needs to show up and be loud!!!!!!!!!!!

GO FLASHES!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget we still have the BracketBuster game that is TBA, so hopefully we can win tomorrow and put ourself on the bubble so we can get another quality home game. But you're right, come to the game and be loud!! :ugaexams:
12-03-2008 04:19 PM
rayray1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the MAC
making the trip from the burgh --this could be a classic!
12-03-2008 04:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.