Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

According to a poster on Mlive Paul WInters may have the inside track
Bookmark and Share
wolverineeagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU/UM
Sad According to a poster on Mlive Paul WInters may have the inside track
Paul WInters is the Wayne State HC. 2 winning seasons in 5 years. If this guy is indeed the hire than we might as well start lining up candidates for 5 years down the road, becasue he is simply not worthy of a D-1 job.

EMU is like the Lions. They simply do not know how to win.
12-02-2008 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: According to a poster on Mlive Paul WInters may have the inside track
Like anyone should believe ANYTHING that is posted on Mlive!
12-02-2008 04:01 PM
EMU09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
wolverineeagle Wrote:Paul WInters is the Wayne State HC. 2 winning seasons in 5 years. If this guy is indeed the hire than we might as well start lining up candidates for 5 years down the road, becasue he is simply not worthy of a D-1 job.

This is incorrect I have not heard Winters name once. And mlive's forum is not very reliable.
12-02-2008 06:10 PM
HuronRob Offline
Special Teams

wolverineeagle Wrote:Paul WInters is the Wayne State HC. 2 winning seasons in 5 years. If this guy is indeed the hire than we might as well start lining up candidates for 5 years down the road, becasue he is simply not worthy of a D-1 job.

Are you one of the posters on the MLive forum? If so, what is your username? Just curious.

Rob
12-02-2008 06:44 PM
Advertisement

huroncowboy Offline
1st String

That is wishful thinking on the part of the M Live poster. Winters needs a few more winning years and some wins in the Div II playoffs before he even appears on the Div I coaching radar. Compare Martin and Winters coaching records and you'll see what I mean.
12-03-2008 04:58 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Do you even know anything about Paul Winters?

Wayne State had not had a winning season since 1994, had not won eight games since 1976. His two winning seasons in five years, including 8-3 this year, is a real accomplishment.

Wayne is one of if not the highest academic school in GLIAC and its location also makes it hard to recruit to. Their football program is not funded anywhere near Grand Valley.

He has extensive MAC experience (Toledo and Akron) and spent five years at Wisconsin with Barry Alvarez.

This guy may be one of the rising coaching "stars" in college football. He has the perfect background for rebuilding EMU.

And you guys want him to have a few more winning seasons-playoffs before he's good enough for you? Naah, get another position coach from U-M, ND, someplace with a "name."
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2008 08:34 AM by MajorHoople.)
12-03-2008 08:33 AM
wolverineeagle Offline
1st String

MajorHoople Wrote:Do you even know anything about Paul Winters?

Wayne State had not had a winning season since 1994, had not won eight games since 1976. His two winning seasons in five years, including 8-3 this year, is a real accomplishment.

Wayne is one of if not the highest academic school in GLIAC and its location also makes it hard to recruit to. Their football program is not funded anywhere near Grand Valley.

He has extensive MAC experience (Toledo and Akron) and spent five years at Wisconsin with Barry Alvarez.

This guy may be one of the rising coaching "stars" in college football. He has the perfect background for rebuilding EMU.

And you guys want him to have a few more winning seasons-playoffs before he's good enough for you? Naah, get another position coach from U-M, ND, someplace with a "name."

The man has TWO winning seasons in 5 years for a record of 20-31. Not impressive at all. He hasn't proven he can sustain what success he has had.

Are you being serious with this? No good AD would hire a guy based on ONE great season in 5 years.

Boy I'm glad you are not in charge of the hiring process. Your willingness to hire a guy with a LOSING record at a lower level is bewilderingly.If he cannot win consistently at the D-2 level what makes you think he could win at the D-1 level?

BTW who considers this guy a "rising star"? He hasn't been mentioned for any jobs other than EMU and he is 50 years old.
12-03-2008 09:13 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

I think Winters may be a legit candidate but not for EMU. He may need to do a 1-AA HC gig or a D1-A Coordinator gig first before he gets a shot as a D1-A HC.

The reason I think he's not a good fit for EMU is that EMU needs to get a guy that people are already familiar with. A guy that can instantly raise the credibility of EMU FB. A guy who recruits will be familar with before EMU even calls. A guy who will inspire more attention, donations, and attendance. I don't think Winters is that guy. Ron English, Scott Loefler, or Corwin Brown might be. UM may be really annoying to many of us but they still get a lot of respect nationally.
12-03-2008 10:01 AM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Yes indeed a 20-31 record against schools like Northwood Indy Findley etc sure does qualify instantly for a Div I coach NOT. Again Winters compares poorly against Martin who would be my first coach out of Div II candidates.
12-03-2008 10:53 AM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

huroncowboy Wrote:Yes indeed a 20-31 record against schools like Northwood Indy Findley etc sure does qualify instantly for a Div I coach NOT. Again Winters compares poorly against Martin who would be my first coach out of Div II candidates.

Hard to pick one over the other. Coaching GVSU is a lot easier than WSU. Martin inherited a well-oiled machine.
12-03-2008 12:27 PM
Advertisement

huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Yes Wooden, but my point is that Winters doesn't even have a winning percentage against schools like Northwood, Indy or Findley. At least Martin does.

Fortunately for us the candidate pool looks well stocked so far.
12-03-2008 12:36 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
huroncowboy Wrote:Yes Wooden, but my point is that Winters doesn't even have a winning percentage against schools like Northwood, Indy or Findley. At least Martin does.

Bulletin, guys - You're Eastern Michigan - you can't GET Chuck Martin!

Winters coaches in Detroit (EMU recruit there at all?), has D-I coordinator experience (OC at Akron), in Big Ten (five years' at UW when that program was going from joke to Rose Bowl), and has rebuilt a program from the depths of their conference to a contender - sounds like the job description for EMU!

But you can get another assistant from a "big-time" program who's one step away frrom being fired (English, Jackson, Brown etc.) and willing to take the job to stay employed or just to be a head coach anywhere - THERE's a novel, fresh approach!

Geesh, no wonder Eastern football has been a bottom-feeder since Harkema left.
12-03-2008 01:03 PM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Winters may be the right coach but not this time. Hiring a coach with a losing record in Div II (at least Martin has a winning record) says more negative than positive about a program. I use Martin as an example of a Div II coach we should hire and yes Chuck does know Michigan recruits, I want a coach with statewide connections not just Detroit.

Just because some of us don't agree with you that hiring a Div II coach with a losing record is a good fit for EMU doesn't mean the program is doomed based on your prediction. Hiring a coach always says to those outside the program where do we want the program to go.
12-03-2008 03:10 PM
Advertisement

huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Major Hoople sounds a lot like EMU Insider on the M Dead board and Kitch sures sounds a like Sharkey.
12-03-2008 03:12 PM
huroncowboy Offline
1st String

Ultimately we can all have opinions about who to hire as coach, but it will be up to Dr Martin and Gragg and administration not us. I'd love to see Lloyd's recommendations.
12-03-2008 03:53 PM
wolverineeagle Offline
1st String

MajorHoople Wrote:
huroncowboy Wrote:Yes Wooden, but my point is that Winters doesn't even have a winning percentage against schools like Northwood, Indy or Findley. At least Martin does.

Bulletin, guys - You're Eastern Michigan - you can't GET Chuck Martin!

Winters coaches in Detroit (EMU recruit there at all?), has D-I coordinator experience (OC at Akron), in Big Ten (five years' at UW when that program was going from joke to Rose Bowl), and has rebuilt a program from the depths of their conference to a contender - sounds like the job description for EMU!

But you can get another assistant from a "big-time" program who's one step away frrom being fired (English, Jackson, Brown etc.) and willing to take the job to stay employed or just to be a head coach anywhere - THERE's a novel, fresh approach!

Geesh, no wonder Eastern football has been a bottom-feeder since Harkema left.

You want EMU to hire a guy with 2 winning seasons in 5 years. Such a brilliance can only come from someone who thinks like a former Detroit Lions President.

MajorHoople is majorly misguided.
12-03-2008 08:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.