Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
So USF is a lock in the St. Pete Bowl
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
So USF is a lock in the St. Pete Bowl
The three possible opponents are East Carolina, Southern Miss or Memphis.

Who would USF like to see? I find it hard to believe that another USF/ECU matchup could happen in two years. I would think they would want a changeup.

Also, I read in a paper down there that the St. Pete Bowl would pick UCF or USF last from each conference. They want to have a good mix from each conference (or something like that). Did they pick USF this year because that’s how the bowl lineup shook out or because the bowl game wants a good first year attendance?

link
11-25-2008 11:04 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
RE: So USF is a lock in the St. Pete Bowl
To be completely honest, I would think that most USF fans would probably love to face a team we've never seen before. That would be Rice/SMU/UTEP/Tulsa/Marshall/Tulane. I don't expect Rice or Tulsa to end up in St. Pete, SMU, Marshall and Tulane are already out and I don't think UTEP's going to beat you guys this weekend, which, by the way, also means I don't think that you'll end up in St. Pete, either. Truth be told, though, after all of the crap I've seen written from ECU fans about USF fan behavior at the PJC bowl, I have no great desire to play you guys, anyway. FWIW, I was there, and while we obviously had a few students who acted like jerks, broad brushstrokes were used to paint all USF fans that way. I saw just as many a-holes on both sides, and saw plenty of classy fans for both schools, too. I have no desire to repeat that. Besides, it's not like ECU has ever beaten USF in football... 05-stirthepot

So, if it comes down to Memphis or Southern Miss, I think there will be more emotion from USF fans if we get to face the Eagles. For starters, they're the only CUSA team against which we have a losing record. Second, there is the incorrect belief by most USF fans that Southern Miss was behind our being kept out of CUSA to begin with. While that's largely been debunked (it was actually Memphis President V. Lane Rawlins who was largely behind it), Jeff Bower was the one who made the "quality, not quantity" quote that provided the spark. Then there's also the urban myth that USF's players supposedly gouged the eyes of Southern Miss' QB such that he needed a visor put on at the half. Nevermind that TV replays showed that he never had a visor on the entire game. Regardless, there's enough bad blood between the two that I expect a decent turnout.

By contrast, if we played Memphis, it would give R.C. Johnson a pulpit to open his mouth up again about USF. I'm not sure I'd be all that fired up about that...

USFFan
11-25-2008 04:11 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Is not a lock but its pretty much set. USF could finish 8-4 (3-4) in BE or 7-5 (2-5)

As for who we play im sure most of our fans wouldnt have a preference but if pressed probably USM would be the choice. Some of their fans on the internet are the worse I have seen. anybody remembers that idiot Eagleinyune from the cusa board?
11-25-2008 04:14 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
I would like to see USM, followed by ECU, then Memphis, in that order.
11-25-2008 05:12 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
usffan Wrote:To be completely honest, I would think that most USF fans would probably love to face a team we've never seen before. That would be Rice/SMU/UTEP/Tulsa/Marshall/Tulane. I don't expect Rice or Tulsa to end up in St. Pete, SMU, Marshall and Tulane are already out and I don't think UTEP's going to beat you guys this weekend, which, by the way, also means I don't think that you'll end up in St. Pete, either. Truth be told, though, after all of the crap I've seen written from ECU fans about USF fan behavior at the PJC bowl, I have no great desire to play you guys, anyway. FWIW, I was there, and while we obviously had a few students who acted like jerks, broad brushstrokes were used to paint all USF fans that way. I saw just as many a-holes on both sides, and saw plenty of classy fans for both schools, too. I have no desire to repeat that. Besides, it's not like ECU has ever beaten USF in football... 05-stirthepot

So, if it comes down to Memphis or Southern Miss, I think there will be more emotion from USF fans if we get to face the Eagles. For starters, they're the only CUSA team against which we have a losing record. Second, there is the incorrect belief by most USF fans that Southern Miss was behind our being kept out of CUSA to begin with. While that's largely been debunked (it was actually Memphis President V. Lane Rawlins who was largely behind it), Jeff Bower was the one who made the "quality, not quantity" quote that provided the spark. Then there's also the urban myth that USF's players supposedly gouged the eyes of Southern Miss' QB such that he needed a visor put on at the half. Nevermind that TV replays showed that he never had a visor on the entire game. Regardless, there's enough bad blood between the two that I expect a decent turnout.

By contrast, if we played Memphis, it would give R.C. Johnson a pulpit to open his mouth up again about USF. I'm not sure I'd be all that fired up about that...

USFFan

The four times you played us were bad times. It was the last year for Steve Logan, two times with John Thompson, who was horrible. And the last time, it was our first Bowl game for that group of players. But the record none the less is 0-4, and im all about Ws and Ls.

I think USF has a bad rap in the ECU community from the PJB. I have family thats USF alum and we get along04-cheers Plus the underlying hostility of the BE appointment03-banghead

But good luck in the rest of the season, but i'll have to pull against ya if you play in the STP bowl. Cheers04-cheers

I would like to go to the St. Pete Bowl, but after looking at the setup, it could be bad sight lines, minus first base.
11-26-2008 11:32 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
PGPirate Wrote:The three possible opponents are East Carolina, Southern Miss or Memphis.

Who would USF like to see? I find it hard to believe that another USF/ECU matchup could happen in two years. I would think they would want a changeup.

Also, I read in a paper down there that the St. Pete Bowl would pick UCF or USF last from each conference. They want to have a good mix from each conference (or something like that). Did they pick USF this year because that’s how the bowl lineup shook out or because the bowl game wants a good first year attendance?

If they are looking for good attendance, they will likely choose ECU, since the Pirates travel to Florida quite well.

Cheers,
Neil
11-26-2008 11:58 AM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
Cubanbull Wrote:Is not a lock but its pretty much set. USF could finish 8-4 (3-4) in BE or 7-5 (2-5)

As for who we play im sure most of our fans wouldnt have a preference but if pressed probably USM would be the choice. Some of their fans on the internet are the worse I have seen. anybody remembers that idiot Eagleinyune from the cusa board?

Who doesnt remember that idiot? His idiocy is legendary on college sports message boards. I have not run accross anyone quite like him.
11-26-2008 12:34 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The deal with the PPJ bowl was that the set up of having BOTH fan bases on the SAME side of the field and for the security guys NOT to stop fans from both sides to go in front of the other and heckle them created a bad situation. for USF fans to have to walk in front of the ECU fan section to get to concessions was another bad idea. Both student sections acted like young jerks. We just happened to have a larger percentage of younger fans at that game.
But yes our students had immature signs and acted like jerks but yours did the same I remember getting screamed at as I walked to concesions stands and heard foul remarks towards young kids.

So yeah that PPJ bowl left many not happy with both set of fans.
11-26-2008 12:36 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
It is most likely that East Carolina will end up in the Liberty Bowl if they win the CUSA title game or the GMAC Bowl if they lose the CUSA title game. That means the two most probable choices are actually Southern Miss and Memphis. It probably will come down to whether CUSA wants to send Memphis to New Orleans, and if Tigers fans want to go to that game, two years in a row.
11-29-2008 06:05 PM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
the big deal for memphis is that the home basketball game against syracuse is on the same day, at practically the same time as the st pete bowl. but nola bowl doesnt want the same school 2 years in a row and usm is just down the street, so usm is nola bound.

the question is going to be what gmac does after the cusa title game. if tulsa loses, things get reshuffled.
11-30-2008 10:45 AM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

There is also a rumor being floated that the Independence Bowl wants to trade one of its open slots for the CUSA slot in the St. Petersburg Bowl. That would allow the Independence Bowl to match up Louisiana Tech with a CUSA team while South Florida faces Florida Atlantic or another Sun Belt school in the St. Petersburg Bowl. This is being largely driven, I am sure, by Louisiana Tech boosters who want nothing to do with playing a Sun Belt school due to a fear of an embarrassing loss to one of them.
11-30-2008 01:50 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

Krocker--not sure St. Pete Bowl would like two FL based teams in the bowl. Sure it would sellout but hotel occupancy wouldn't get much of a bump. Many fans looking to conserve funds would make it a long day from Boca. Realistically I think Memphis to NO again and USM to St Pete would be the best compromise. UM certainly would send more fans than last year. The Syracuse/Memphis Basketball game looms large as it could be a battle of Top 10-15 teams by then.
11-30-2008 01:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I agree with you, Mark, but I am just letting people know that the idea is already floating around out there. If it does happen, though, the Sun Belt team may not be FAU anyway depending on how their league tiebreakers work out. It could also be one of Troy, Arkansas State, or the ULL/MTSU winner. Remember, as well, that St. Petersburg is an ESPN bowl, not a Chamber of Commerce game, so selling out hotels and filling restaurants are a little bit less important to them than showing a packed house for the television cameras.
11-30-2008 02:05 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

good point...personally I think the St Pete Bowl will be a fan favorite for 5 loss Big East teams--now reading what our Memphis fan said--it looks like UM wants St Pete despite the BB game the same day.
11-30-2008 02:12 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The problem with the St Pete Bowl is its capacity at 40k but in reality only 30k seats because of baseball configuration. It will be hard for them to become a high paying bowl.
I always thought that the best situation was to work with Outback and have another game in RJS matching BE-Big12
11-30-2008 03:16 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

Cubanbull, what is the status on the new stadium for the Tampa Bay Rays? The bowl organizers said the game will move there when that place gets built, right? I think it is better for the St. Petersburg Bowl to stand on its own rather than looking to the public like nothing but a JV version of the Outback Bowl. Utilizing longterm growth and future planning are better than grabbing the easiest quick fix available.
11-30-2008 03:30 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
TexanMark Wrote:Krocker--not sure St. Pete Bowl would like two FL based teams in the bowl. Sure it would sellout but hotel occupancy wouldn't get much of a bump. Many fans looking to conserve funds would make it a long day from Boca. Realistically I think Memphis to NO again and USM to St Pete would be the best compromise. UM certainly would send more fans than last year. The Syracuse/Memphis Basketball game looms large as it could be a battle of Top 10-15 teams by then.

NO has already said they don't want the same squad 2 straight years...also, USM has made it clear they WANT to go to NO...and RC Johnson has made it clear that we WANT to go to St. Pete

i know what we WANT isn't important...but i'm betting that's the way it works out.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
11-30-2008 03:33 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I dont think that wil happen for two reasons. The Trop doesnt need many fans to sell out having USF there will help sell most of the tickets playing Memphis is more attractive to Bulls fans than playing FAU
11-30-2008 03:39 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

The proposed trade is being fueled by the desperation of Louisiana Tech anyway. They do not want to be embarrassed by losing to a Sun Belt team in the Independence Bowl and also want a chance to kiss up to CUSA for hopeful future realignment purposes. The facts that the New Orleans Bowl really wants Southern Mississippi and that Memphis really wants to go to the St. Petersburg greatly reduce the chance of such a thing happening anyway. Too bad for Louisiana Tech and the Independence Bowl, as well as for FAU, since they might get shut out altogether.
11-30-2008 04:30 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Krocker Krapp Wrote:There is also a rumor being floated that the Independence Bowl wants to trade one of its open slots for the CUSA slot in the St. Petersburg Bowl. That would allow the Independence Bowl to match up Louisiana Tech with a CUSA team while South Florida faces Florida Atlantic or another Sun Belt school in the St. Petersburg Bowl. This is being largely driven, I am sure, by Louisiana Tech boosters who want nothing to do with playing a Sun Belt school due to a fear of an embarrassing loss to one of them.

That's actually not a bad idea...because whoever is chosen from CUSA for say the St Pete game, played before Christmas, probably won't bring many fans anyway...so why not keep these pre-christmas/small bowl games more local?

Some hotel/restaurant revenue is better than almost none.
11-30-2008 07:27 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.