Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Pitt returning unsold tickets to UC game??
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats
Pitt returning unsold tickets to UC game??
Apparently Pitt couldnt come close to selling their ticket allotment for the UC game? WOW. UC sold out their allotment for the UL game(on a friday night no less) and bought quite a bit more tickets beyond that number. Nice fan support Pitt.
11-17-2008 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Slypenny Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC/UK/FSU/NKU
RE: Pitt returning unsold tickets to UC game??
Although i would like to think this gae is big enough for both sides that Pitt would sell out their allotment, as a UC fan i don't feel a need to point fingers at anyone about attendance. I look at as a way to pack in more UC fans.
11-17-2008 09:55 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
I bought 2 and will be present with the Mrs to see the game.
11-17-2008 10:11 PM
UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
shocknawe Wrote:UC sold out their allotment for the UL game(on a friday night no less) and bought quite a bit more tickets beyond that number. Nice fan support Pitt.

I don't believe UC actually sold their full allotment to the UofL game because I bought three discounted tickets located in the endzone visitor's section for friends who wanted to attend the game. The tickets were one of the upper rows of section 217. UofL listed them as single game tickets and discounted them to 15 dollars for students and CAF donors (which is what they always due with returned tickets).

Regardless, I was impressed at the number of UC fans in the stadium as previous years have seen only ~500 -1,000 bearcat fans make the trip down to Louisville. Hopefully, UC can continue to build its fan base and expand Nippert in the future.

edit: It does seem a bit odd to me though that you are chastizing Pitt for not selling their allotment when this is the 1st time UC has come close to selling their allotment for a game that is 106 miles away.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2008 11:18 PM by UofL07.)
11-17-2008 11:08 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
The Pitt ticket office is staffed by complete imbeciles. I am still praying that the tickets get here in time for the game. If we don't sell our allotment for WVU next year, you would have a valid comparison to UC-UL. I do agree it is pathetic that we can't seem to get 5,000 people to drive somewhere between 3-5 hours to see a game as big as this. This is seriously the biggest game in the Wanny Era. The winner of this game has the inside track to the BE Championship. Admittedly, Pitt still has two tough games against WVU & UConn, but a win in Cincy makes us captains of our own destiny. As big as the win over WVU was last year this is bigger. Win here and step toward Wanny's announced goal of winning the BE Championship and eventually a national championship.
11-17-2008 11:42 PM
CD11 Offline
I won.

I Root For: Myself
Shannon Panther Wrote:I bought 2 and will be present with the Mrs to see the game.

Hope you have a memorable and enjoyable experience, Shannon! Other than the outcome, of course.

BTW, what the hell?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=141&f=2455&t=3403723

I hope your team takes the same mindset as your scout board fans, that's for sure.......01-wingedeagle
11-17-2008 11:45 PM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

Donators
cdumpster11 Wrote:
Shannon Panther Wrote:I bought 2 and will be present with the Mrs to see the game.

Hope you have a memorable and enjoyable experience, Shannon! Other than the outcome, of course.

BTW, what the hell?

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=141&f=2455&t=3403723

I hope your team takes the same mindset as your scout board fans, that's for sure.......01-wingedeagle

I hope the ones taking you lightly aren't alums. They are devaluing my degree if they are.
11-17-2008 11:52 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Saturday is the WPIAL finals at Heinz field. And trust me in Pittsburgh its a huge deal. To almost every kid in western PA winning the WPIAL is bigger than winning the state. I'll be at the Single A game to root on my alum Clairton when they face Monaca. Clairton features Kevin Weatherspoon which will recieve many offers this spring-summer. That may answer your question on why Pitt didn't sell out their allotment.
11-18-2008 12:00 AM
CardFANATIC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL, Neb,OM, EWU
UC returned a number of tickets to UL near the beginning of the season. UL offered them to students for 15 bucks a piece. Then UC sold out of what they had kept and tried to get some back from UL, which I believe UL did oblige. I know several students who had bought some of those tix and sat in the visitors sec.

Still, UC brought more people than I have ever seen at a UL game. Their base is growing.
11-18-2008 12:17 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
shocknawe Wrote:Nice fan support Pitt.

Getting smack talk about this? Really?
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2008 04:33 AM by SoCalPanther.)
11-18-2008 04:32 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
I think why UC fans are worrying about the # of Pitt fans coming to the game is that it seems they get a free pass based on their name.

We have been reading several articles about how it would be a "nightmare" if UC made it to a BCS bowl game. But evidently Pitt would be great. Many fans on other Big East boards ( I read a lot of this on the WVU Scout board, for example) say that UC does not belong in a BCS bowl and will not represent the Big East well, as if their team is the only one that can.

So to hear that Pitt evidently returned a lot of tickets is surprising - it is not as if they have been winning league championships for years and years. You would think they would be more excited about this game.

UC has won 18 of their last 23 games. They finished ranked 17th last season. Their attendance has grown by 10,000 in the last couple of years. To me, as UC coninues to improve it only makes the Big East stronger. It seems that some fans don't want that to happen.
11-18-2008 06:52 AM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
bearcatfan Wrote:I think why UC fans are worrying about the # of Pitt fans coming to the game is that it seems they get a free pass based on their name.

We have been reading several articles about how it would be a "nightmare" if UC made it to a BCS bowl game. But evidently Pitt would be great. Many fans on other Big East boards ( I read a lot of this on the WVU Scout board, for example) say that UC does not belong in a BCS bowl and will not represent the Big East well, as if their team is the only one that can.

So to hear that Pitt evidently returned a lot of tickets is surprising - it is not as if they have been winning league championships for years and years. You would think they would be more excited about this game.

UC has won 18 of their last 23 games. They finished ranked 17th last season. Their attendance has grown by 10,000 in the last couple of years. To me, as UC coninues to improve it only makes the Big East stronger. It seems that some fans don't want that to happen.

-- I think there are a lot of reasons BE fans feel that way about UC and none have to do with your football team. Pitt is seen as more tolerable by some fans because they are more of a name and their program has been there before. IMO, UC winning the BE and going to the BCS is very similar to Wake Forrest winning the ACC a couple of years ago. Both are football programs that don't have the largest fan bases and haven't had a solid history of success

If UC does win out...I just hope they travel to Miami as well as Wake did. The bearcats only taking 15k to the Orange Bowl would be a disaster for the league

And yes...UC winning is good for the BE. Anytime a program can pull itself up and draw more fans etc...it is a very good thing

Jackson
11-18-2008 07:16 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
I know if you ask just about any Pitt fan and they will tell you that we do not travel well. Bowl people know this too. It's why you see in bowl projections that Pitt gets passed over.

I would be surprised if Pitt brought 15k to a BCS bowl (if they win the BE). Just about every article I've ever read about Pitt in a bowl game talks about their lack of attendance at these games.

It's why I was shocked at to how many Pitt fans were reported at the Navy game.

Quote:And yes...UC winning is good for the BE. Anytime a program can pull itself up and draw more fans etc...it is a very good thing

Yes Indeed! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2008 08:06 AM by SoCalPanther.)
11-18-2008 08:03 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Jackson1011 Wrote:The bearcats only taking 15k to the Orange Bowl would be a disaster for the league
Why would taking 15,000 fans to a bowl game be a "disaster"?
11-18-2008 08:29 AM
CardFANATIC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL, Neb,OM, EWU
Because 15k isn't enough for a BCS level game. That's considered subpar support in the eyes of the BCS bowls.
11-18-2008 09:38 AM
UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Jackson1011 Wrote:I just hope they travel to Miami as well as Wake did

Wake didn't travel very well to the Orange Bowl. I believe the final estimates on attendence were around 40,000 Louisville fans and ~17,000 Wake fans (they didn't sell their allotment).
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2008 10:11 AM by UofL07.)
11-18-2008 10:08 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Pitt fans have rarely traveled well. They're bandwaggoners. That they didn't sell their allotment of tickets doesn't surprise me at all. They've returned tickets to Morgantown before, and that's just 90 minutes away...
11-18-2008 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
bearcatfan Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:The bearcats only taking 15k to the Orange Bowl would be a disaster for the league
Why would taking 15,000 fans to a bowl game be a "disaster"?

-- Because not only is it a BCS game, but because it will probably be in the Orange Bowl which is an easy destination to get to for our league

Quote:Wake didn't travel very well to the Orange Bowl. I believe the final estimates on attendence were around 40,000 Louisville fans and ~17,000 Wake fans (they didn't sell their allotment).

-- My fault..I thought Wake was over the 20k mark...but the point remains the same..I would hope that UC would be able get to that Wake level of 17,000 fans...It would look bad if they didn't

Jackson
11-18-2008 11:21 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
UC ain't going, Jackson. Pitt's going to put the Mountaineers in the driver's seat (if WVU takes care of business). Bet on it...
11-18-2008 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I remember you telling everyone before the season to bet on WVU winning the national championship this year. Should I still put money on that? :)
11-18-2008 12:02 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.