Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
OT: UW coach Tyrone Willingham forced to resign
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
OT: UW coach Tyrone Willingham forced to resign
Willingham forced out at UW as the Huskies have endured an 0-7 2008 campaign and just an 11-32 overall record.

See link from main story in Seattle:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sp...one27.html
10-27-2008 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: OT: UW coach Tyrone Willingham forced to resign
KnightLight Wrote:Willingham forced out at UW as the Huskies have endured an 0-7 2008 campaign and just an 11-32 overall record.

Willingham is a very classy guy. I dont know what went wrong with his coaching techniques. The guy turned Stanford into a winner. That is hard to do at a place like Stanford, imo, with their strict admissions standards.

The heat is on at the Cuse to also make a move. We will end up with a shorter list of candidates to choose from.

Thanks for posting this. Its nice to get an early scoop.
10-27-2008 05:01 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Once you get a tag as a loser, which ND made certain everyone knew, it's hard to shake off.
10-27-2008 05:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
cuseroc Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:Willingham forced out at UW as the Huskies have endured an 0-7 2008 campaign and just an 11-32 overall record.

Willingham is a very classy guy. I dont know what went wrong with his coaching techniques. The guy turned Stanford into a winner. That is hard to do at a place like Stanford, imo, with their strict admissions standards.

The heat is on at the Cuse to also make a move. We will end up with a shorter list of candidates to choose from.

Thanks for posting this. Its nice to get an early scoop.

It has already been leaked the Cuse has an outside consultant looking for a coach even though your AD has denied his classless act. 03-puke If you are going to replace your coach have him announce that he is stepping down at the end of the year like Willingham was forced to do or just pull a Bowden and fire him. Don't sneak around behind his back and act like everything is OK. 03-nutkick There won't be any shortage of available coaches out there. The speculation has the ex raider coach, the Missouri coach, and Mora of Seattle on the short list to start the rumor mill at Washington. None of them would come east for the Cuse job. Hey maybe Willingham might take the job. 03-idea He turned Stanford around. Maybe he can get his magic back with Cuse. 03-shhhh After two bad runs the guy still has integrity and class. 04-rock

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2008 05:28 PM by panite.)
10-27-2008 05:26 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
This is more reason why I think Robinson won't finish the year at Syracuse.
10-27-2008 05:35 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Syracuse fans laugh at 11-32: Linky. And one of those 11 was a pimp-slapping in the Dome on national TV.

What the fark is TGD waiting for??
10-27-2008 07:03 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Wow, he has a career losing record and was fired twice in four years
What does it take for the media created myth of Ty as coach to be exposed as just that, a myth?

I suggest that a Big East school hire him as their next head coach if their fans believe that he is a good coach.

West Virginia might be a good next stop for Ty, perhaps, if Bill Stewart doesn't work out? Maybe Pitt or Rutgers?

I somehow don't think you guys would be thrilled to death if that occurred.

Ask the Washington Husky fans if they think that Ty is:

1) A "class" guy, and/or

2) A good coach.

Those folks are almost unanimous in their opinion that is he neither.

It now is ND's fault that Ty went 11-33 at Washington, didn't recruit and didn't attend alumni functions in favor of his golf game?

That is rich.

He alienated everyone in Washington, including ex-players, boosters, alumni and fans. I am not even talking about his horrible relationship with the local media.

He has the longest current winless streak in the nation at nine games. He was 24-48 at ND and Washington since beating FSU in October 2002.

He didn't attend a big alumni fundraising function this past summer for the Huskys to golf in North Carolina.

He didn't recruit much after last season ended (in November) so he could golf in Hawaii.

I suggest a visit to dawgman.com on the Scout board to see what the people in the Northwest think of Ty. It ain't pretty.

He has left the Husky program in a shambles from which it will take years to recover.

It was a myth that he was a "good coach" or a "class guy". He was a lazy recruiter, and a poor coach who collected paychecks from two schools while doing little and doing his "best" to hamstring their programs.

He had the two lowest recruiting classes in a row at ND...in the history of ranking recruiting classes. His amount of players signed and even on campus visits were extremely low.

He didn't want to work very hard at recruiting. Right now, I believe that Washington has a grand total of four recruits.

Even the Stanford folks in 2002 were warning ND fans about Ty, including the fact that he only recruited two offensive linemen in two years at Palo Alto right before he left there.

Ty then hit the trifecta, as he repeated the "feat" of only recruiting two offensive linemen in two years later at both ND and Washington

ND fans didn't listen to the Stanford fans' warning. Washington fans didn't listen to the ND fans' warning. Both fanbases rue that their administrations hired that fraud.

He never was a coordinator before becoming a head coach (promoted from running backs coach on the recommendation of his good friend Dennis Green) and he was never a "hands on" coach. He relied on his coordinators (who mostly sucked) while standing stoically on the sidelines during one drubbing after another after another....

He thought of himself as a statesman, CEO type coach and a "molder of men".

Check with the Husky fans and get their take on how he did in those roles.

I wonder if anyone will ever hire the guy to be a head coach again. If so, I will be surprised and will have empathy for that soon to be distraught fanbase.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2008 08:56 PM by TerryD.)
10-27-2008 08:46 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: Wow, he has a career losing record and was fired twice in four years
TerryD Wrote:What does it take for the media created myth of Ty as coach to be exposed as just that, a myth?

I suggest that a Big East school hire him as their next head coach if their fans believe that he is a good coach.

West Virginia might be a good next stop for Ty, perhaps, if Bill Stewart doesn't work out? Maybe Pitt or Rutgers?

I somehow don't think you guys would be thrilled to death if that occurred.

Ask the Washington Husky fans if they think that Ty is:

1) A "class" guy, and/or

2) A good coach.

Those folks are almost unanimous in their opinion that is he neither.

It now is ND's fault that Ty went 11-33 at Washington, didn't recruit and didn't attend alumni functions in favor of his golf game?

That is rich.

He alienated everyone in Washington, including ex-players, boosters, alumni and fans. I am not even talking about his horrible relationship with the local media.

He has the longest current winless streak in the nation at nine games. He was 24-48 at ND and Washington since beating FSU in October 2002.

He didn't attend a big alumni fundraising function this past summer for the Huskys to golf in North Carolina.

He didn't recruit much after last season ended (in November) so he could golf in Hawaii.

I suggest a visit to dawgman.com on the Scout board to see what the people in the Northwest think of Ty. It ain't pretty.

He has left the Husky program in a shambles from which it will take years to recover.

It was a myth that he was a "good coach" or a "class guy". He was a lazy recruiter, and a poor coach who collected paychecks from two schools while doing little and doing his "best" to hamstring their programs.

He had the two lowest recruiting classes in a row at ND...in the history of ranking recruiting classes. His amount of players signed and even on campus visits were extremely low.

He didn't want to work very hard at recruiting. Right now, I believe that Washington has a grand total of four recruits.

Even the Stanford folks in 2002 were warning ND fans about Ty, including the fact that he only recruited two offensive linemen in two years at Palo Alto right before he left there.

Ty then hit the trifecta, as he repeated the "feat" of only recruiting two offensive linemen in two years later at both ND and Washington

ND fans didn't listen to the Stanford fans' warning. Washington fans didn't listen to the ND fans' warning. Both fanbases rue that their administrations hired that fraud.

He never was a coordinator before becoming a head coach (promoted from running backs coach on the recommendation of his good friend Dennis Green) and he was never a "hands on" coach. He relied on his coordinators (who mostly sucked) while standing stoically on the sidelines during one drubbing after another after another....

He thought of himself as a statesman, CEO type coach and a "molder of men".

Check with the Husky fans and get their take on how he did in those roles.

I wonder if anyone will ever hire the guy to be a head coach again. If so, I will be surprised and will have empathy for that soon to be distraught fanbase.

Wow - so much hidden dirt - didn't know about this if it is true. Now I hope Cuse really goes after him it will keep them down a lot longer.

03-nutkick 03-melodramatic 03-puke 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
10-27-2008 11:39 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Willingham took over an UW team that was coming off their first losing season since 1976....and consequently lead them to 4 more straight losing seasons...including 0-7 so far this year.

Ouch!

PS. Jim Mora Jr (UW Alum and former NFL Head Coach) is now an Asst Coach with the Seattle Seahawks...and the Seahawks today declined requests from the media to speak to Mora (obviously about the UW job).

Former Raider HC Lane Kiffin is now openly promoting himself for this position:
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/huskyfootball/

Even though Kiffin could start the earliest (maybe even help recruiting NOW), I think Mora...being an UW "guy" will end up getting the job...even though the NFL season for the Seahawks might go into Jan. (That West division sucks!).
10-28-2008 12:41 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
KnightLight Wrote:PS. Jim Mora Jr (UW Alum and former NFL Head Coach) is now an Asst Coach with the Seattle Seahawks...and the Seahawks today declined requests from the media to speak to Mora (obviously about the UW job).

Even though Kiffin could start the earliest (maybe even help recruiting NOW), I think Mora...being an UW "guy" will end up getting the job...even though the NFL season for the Seahawks might go into Jan. (That West division sucks!).

Remember that Mora is the Seahawks next head coach. That was part of the contract that was drawn up between the team and coach Mora when he accepted his current position with the team.
10-28-2008 06:09 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Who cares about Washington? What's their relevance to eastern football, other than the fact that it might limit the talent pool Syracuse needs to fish?
10-28-2008 09:43 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I didn't start the thread, Bit, but I had to respond to the mythical "Ty is a good coach and a great guy" statement.

Colin Cowherd summed it up correctly on ESPN radio today:

"Remember all the cries of "Racism! Racism!" when Tyrone Willingham was fired at Notre Dame? Those people were clueless then and they're clueless now.

He goes down as one of the great frauds in college football coaching. How he got the Notre Dame job, I'll never know.

Here are some facts about Ty Willingham. Last seven years of coaching, he has not recruited one elite defensive player. Washington is as bad now as they've ever been, four years into the job. They have one playmaker on the roster. He's hurt, the quarterback.

At Notre Dame? Cries of "Racism!". Really? From 10 wins, to 5, to 6? They were headed in the wrong direction, including losses to Syracuse.

And at Stanford, seven years...nobody acknowledges...three of the seven? He had losing years. The big year they went to the Rose Bowl, they lost by 51 to Texas and also lost to San Jose State and that Standford largely recruits itself.

Willingham is one of the nation's most dreadful recruiters and because of his rigid personality is terrible with boosters and the media.

We said it four years ago to the people claiming racism. Do your homework. Look at the facts. It's not about race or skin color. This is a guy who's over his skis.

"Oh, but at Stanford.."

What did he do at Stanford? Three losing seasons at a school that largely recruits itself. The Pac 10 was at it's weakest point. USC stunk. Go look at those years. Washington wasn't good. USC stunk. In his reign, the Oregon schools were good.

I always laugh at the people who say "Well at Notre Dame, he had a winning record." He was going in the wrong direction. I mean, Wall Street fires guys every day who have earnings higher than 10 years ago, but it's the direction you're headed in."
10-28-2008 02:10 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
I typically don't care for Cowherd, but he is spot on here.
10-28-2008 02:15 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
TerryD Wrote:I didn't start the thread, Bit, but I had to respond to the mythical "Ty is a good coach and a great guy" statement.

"Remember all the cries of "Racism! Racism!" when Tyrone Willingham was fired at Notre Dame? Those people were clueless then and they're clueless now.

He goes down as one of the great frauds in college football coaching. How he got the Notre Dame job, I'll never know.

Here are some facts about Ty Willingham. Last seven years of coaching, he has not recruited one elite defensive player. Washington is as bad now as they've ever been, four years into the job. They have one playmaker on the roster. He's hurt, the quarterback.

At Notre Dame? Cries of "Racism!". Really? From 10 wins, to 5, to 6? They were headed in the wrong direction, including losses to Syracuse.

And at Stanford, seven years...nobody acknowledges...three of the seven? He had losing years. The big year they went to the Rose Bowl, they lost by 51 to Texas and also lost to San Jose State and that Standford largely recruits itself.

Willingham is one of the nation's most dreadful recruiters and because of his rigid personality is terrible with boosters and the media.

We said it four years ago to the people claiming racism. Do your homework. Look at the facts. It's not about race or skin color. This is a guy who's over his skis.

"Oh, but at Stanford.."

What did he do at Stanford? Three losing seasons at a school that largely recruits itself. The Pac 10 was at it's weakest point. USC stunk. Go look at those years. Washington wasn't good. USC stunk. In his reign, the Oregon schools were good.

I always laugh at the people who say "Well at Notre Dame, he had a winning record." He was going in the wrong direction. I mean, Wall Street fires guys every day who have earnings higher than 10 years ago, but it's the direction you're headed in."

To be fair, Willingham did not lose to Syracuse under Gerg. Paul Pasqualoni was the coach at Syracuse when they beat Willinghams ND team, and SU was still pretty decent then.
Wies has managed to get to 2 bcs bowls with largely Willinghams recruits, so his recruiting wasnt that bad.

And just becaise you seem to despise the man gives me no reason to also despise him.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2008 02:32 PM by cuseroc.)
10-28-2008 02:29 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
cuseroc Wrote:
TerryD Wrote:I didn't start the thread, Bit, but I had to respond to the mythical "Ty is a good coach and a great guy" statement.

"Oh, but at Stanford.."

To be fair, Willingham did not lose to Syracuse under Gerg. Paul Pasqualoni was the coach at Syracuse when they beat Willinghams ND team, and SU was still pretty decent then.
Wies has managed to get to 2 bcs bowls with largely Willinghams recruits, so his recruiting wasnt that bad.

And just becaise you seem to despise the man gives me no reason to also despise him.

Willingham started Quinn his freshman and sophmore year for the good of ND, Weis reeped the benefits.
10-28-2008 02:36 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

Willingham's last two recruiting classes were ranked #32 and #40 (as opposed to Weis' three in the top ten), those were the lowest ranked classes in ND history.

Who "reaped" those "benefits"? Weis? ND?

The numbers were very low as was the quality. Most of those guys have transferred since they were beaten out by underclassmen. The numbers of fifth and fourth year seniors at ND the past two years were extremely low.

That hole in recruiting led (largely but not entirely) to last year's 3-9 season.

Even this year, many of ND's best players are freshmen and sophomores (true, not redshirt).

I wonder how much more damage Ty would have done (like he did at Washington) if he had not been canned after year three at ND. I think that Washington waited about a half a year too long.

P.S. Willingham did not "recruit" Brady Quinn. Chinedum Ndukwe's Dad did. His son played receiver at Dublin Coffman High in Dublin, Ohio. Quinn was the quarterback at Dublin Coffman.

Dad Ndukwe literally took Quinn with him to South Bend and urged Willingham to consider him. Quinn had an offer from Ohio State and was considering the Buckeyes but wanted to play at ND, especially with his classmate, Ndukwe.

Willingham had not offered Quinn or even had paid him a visit. Mr. Ndukwe dropped him into Ty's lap.

Finally, Willingham started Quinn as a freshman out of desperation, not grand strategy. Carlyle Holiday was doing poorly and the only other QB was a walk on, Pat Dillingham.

The guy is a bad coach. He has a career win/loss total under .500.

Stanford 44-36-1

Notre Dame 21-15

Washington 11-32
10-28-2008 03:37 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
TerryD Wrote:Willingham's last two recruiting classes were ranked #32 and #40 (as opposed to Weis' three in the top ten), those were the lowest ranked classes in ND history.

Who "reaped" those "benefits"? Weis? ND?

The numbers were very low as was the quality. Most of those guys have transferred since they were beaten out by underclassmen. The numbers of fifth and fourth year seniors at ND the past two years were extremely low.

That hole in recruiting led (largely but not entirely) to last year's 3-9 season.

Even this year, many of ND's best players are freshmen and sophomores (true, not redshirt).

Weis went to a bcs boll during his fisrt season as head coach at ND. Do you really expect us to believe that Wies had more of his own recruits playing in his first season as coach than Willingham's recruits ? Or is your hatred for the man so strong that your reasonung is that skewed?

You can hate on Willingham as much as you would like, but those are the facts. You dont always need elite recruits to win like an elite program. Just look at WV, and Missouri, and USF etc....

And just because some folks here think he is a class act, has nothing to do with his ability to coach. Two seperate issues, that bitter ND folks like yourself cant seem to understand.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2008 05:39 PM by cuseroc.)
10-28-2008 04:30 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I always thought he was very classy when interviewed, never a prick like some coaches.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2008 05:13 PM by esayem.)
10-28-2008 05:13 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
Let's not revise history here...Willingham's ND squad in 2003 lost 38-12 to a mediocre 6-6 Syracuse team that didn't even go bowling. Willingham may be the classiest coach in college football, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's a bad coach.
10-28-2008 05:50 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

again, if you think only nd fans think the "class act" designation is a myth, I invite you to go to dawgman.com and either read the posts and/or ask the washington husky fans that question.

I don't despise him. I think his failure is evident for all to see, both nd and washington were right to fire him.

I do dislike media guys like wilbon, saunders, etc. with an agenda trying to claim nd fired him for race instead of poor coaching.

I didn't like that ty encouraged that effort in an interview with john saunders, but that is water under the bridge.

what I am reponding to is the perpetuation of the myth of ty as "good coach" and "class act" by the media and others when the folks at all 3 schools (yes, stanford too) in a better position would dispute that.
10-28-2008 05:58 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.