MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
WVU, LSU agree to football series
http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/200810150123

WVU adding LSU Tigers to football schedule
By Jack Bogaczyk
Daily Mail Sports Editor
WHEN Mississippi State made a football visit to Morgantown last October, the Bulldogs were the first Southeastern Conference team to play in "new" Mountaineer Field -- which already was 28 years old.

Kentucky had been the last SEC visitor to a Mountaineer Field, a 10-6 homecoming win by WVU in October 1979 -- the old horseshoe's last season -- before 33,792 fans.

Now, it appears there won't be such a long wait again between SEC football trips to West Virginia, as Auburn -- a first-time WVU opponent -- makes it two-in-two years for next Thursday night's ESPN date.

This grizzled press box occupant of four decades has been told by multiple sources with college football and telecast connections that WVU and LSU verbally have agreed to a home-and-home series for 2010 and 2011.

If the deal comes off as expected -- and ESPN has been involved as a go-between and interested telecast partner, as was the case with West Virginia's 2008 and '09 Colorado series -- the Mountaineers would visit imposing Tiger Stadium in 2010 and get a return game at Mountaineer Field the next season.

That would mean six SEC non-conference games in as many years for WVU -- Mississippi State in 2006 and '07, Auburn this year and next (at Auburn), and the LSU dates. West Virginia also upset Georgia in the Sugar Bowl to cap the 2005 season.

The ESPN involvement comes on the heels of the SEC signing a 15-year, $2.25 billion deal with ESPN. It only figures the "Disney family of networks" will be more aggressive in working to get marquee matchups.

Typically, WVU athletic officials don't comment on future schedules until contracts are signed, but it is said the parties are on the same page. There's another piece to this LSU development, too.

The Mountaineers had a 2010 and '11 home-and-home scheduled with Michigan State, but sources said the Spartans asked that the series be moved back to 2014 and '15 to accommodate another home-and-home. MSU officials did not return messages seeking clarification on that.

The order (home, road which years for WVU) of those rescheduled games couldn't be confirmed. Michigan State was to visit WVU first in the original deal, with the return game in East Lansing in 2011.

West Virginia needed a quality foe to fill those Michigan State vacancies -- but still needs a game in 2010 (at home) and two in 2011 (both at home).

Two games with Florida State from the ACC/Big East breakup court settlement remain on the WVU cards in 2012 (Morgantown) and 2013 (Tallahassee). The WVU-Marshall series is set through 2012.

The Maryland series resumes from 2010-13, and West Virginia officials and Terps Coach Ralph Friedgen have gone public in saying they would like an extension. However, UM AD Debbie Yow has said it's too early to discuss that far down the road.

WVU Athletic Director Ed Pastilong said recently that the Mountaineers' discussions on football scheduling with Virginia remain in flux. "We'd like to play Virginia," Pastilong said. "I think it's a good series for the two programs and the fans of both schools."

WVU also is tentatively set for a six-game renewal of an East Carolina series that ends next year, returning from 2013-18 in home-and-home fashion.

West Virginia had been talking with Southern Mississippi, but the Mountaineers wanted a 2-for-1 and the Conference USA program was looking for a home-and-home.

The Golden Eagles landed that last month with another Big East Conference team. Southern Miss will visit Louisville next season and the Cardinals will go to Hattiesburg in 2012.

WVU wants seven home games annually, citing revenue needs with an athletic budget that approaches $50 million. In even-numbered years, WVU has four Big East home games, but only three in odd-numbered years.

The Mountaineers played Villanova this season, have Liberty set next year and Coastal Carolina in 2010, but Coach Bill Stewart said prior to the season that WVU would rather have major college foes visit than Football Championship Subdivision (I-AA) teams.

However, WVU may need more of those sub-major teams to fill holes, because guarantees for no-return games with teams from conferences like the Mid-American and Sun Belt have skyrocketed to the $750,000 range and beyond. With a 60,000-seat stadium, that's a hefty tag for WVU.

So, with Auburn and Colorado in return games in 2009 and Maryland, LSU, Florida State and Michigan State down the road, the schedule is one facet of the Mountaineer program that no one should be stewing over.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 06:27 AM by MichaelSavage.)
10-15-2008 06:27 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
RE: WVU, LSU agree to football series
That's a big catch for the Mountaineers. Make the games count.
10-15-2008 06:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It looks like ESPN is starting to become a major player in who plays whom. The Colorado series, and this series with LSU for the Mountaineers aren't the only games they've scheduled, and the number of games scheduled through the intermediary of ESPN keeps rising.

Are we headed toward schedules being determined by preseason rankings in TV board rooms?

Not that I'm complaining. Far from it. This is a great series of games for WVU, especially if they win a game - both would be even better. But it does show the power of TV in sports...
10-15-2008 06:43 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
ESPN has been a big player in the scheduling department well before this SEC deal, brokering this year's neutral site game in Atlanta for Clemson and Alabama, next year's rumored game between Virginia Tech and Alabama in Atlanta, the Colorado-WVU series Bit mentioned, the schedule shift that brought Fresno St. to Rutgers this year, last year's Oregon St.-Cincinnati game and countless others. And they aren't just scheduling for the AQ conferences. There are many cases where an AQ school visiting a non-AQ school is attached to ESPN guaranteeing the game to be nationally televised.

Of course, they are balancing their own interests as well, which is why we are seeing games virtually every night of the week.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 06:51 AM by mattsarz.)
10-15-2008 06:50 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Great news for WVU. Here is the updated WVU future schedule:

http://cfbpalace.decro.net/westvirginia.html
10-15-2008 07:13 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Like I said...
Quote:The Colorado series, and this series with LSU for the Mountaineers aren't the only games they've scheduled, and the number of games scheduled through the intermediary of ESPN keeps rising.
I just didn't run down the full list. I knew the list of WVU games and stuck with it. Too lazy to Google it up, it's my bedtime.
10-15-2008 07:15 AM
Advertisement

SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
Great news! Let's hope more SEC teams head north to play other BE teams. I know UT is already on UConn's schedule.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 08:35 AM by SoCalPanther.)
10-15-2008 08:32 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Hoquista Wrote:Great news! Let's hope more SEC teams head north to play other BE teams. I know UT is already on UConn's schedule.
Sounds like something I can add to Palace -- future games between 2 conferences...
10-15-2008 08:39 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
I really like the relationship WVU is developing with the SEC...there have been a many more Mountaineer football/bball games against that league in recent years then in any other point in our history

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 10:59 AM by Jackson1011.)
10-15-2008 10:58 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I bet SEC teams would like to win one once in a while. They haven't been lately, except for UT's narrow win over the Mountaineer men's basketball team in their 3rd game of the season...
10-15-2008 11:06 AM
BYUcoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
Nice series should be a fun one to watch that thursday. I hope we arnt playing a game that thursday.
10-15-2008 11:25 AM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Remember UCONN also signed a home and home with Tenn, so I guess some SEC teams are ok leaving their stadiums once in a while. We just have to make these games count.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 11:50 AM by SF Husky.)
10-15-2008 11:50 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Good job. It was thru ESPN that USF got the 5 years with Miami
10-15-2008 03:21 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

If everyone can get at least a split, it will help considerably. All of the teams mentioned are considered elite teams, and having a .500 or better record against them will speak volumes...
10-15-2008 03:41 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Congrats, WVU, that's a nice series to hook up.
10-15-2008 03:52 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Hoquista Wrote:Great news! Let's hope more SEC teams head north to play other BE teams. I know UT is already on UConn's schedule.

I'm surprised that Cincinnati doesn't have SEC teams on our schedule. We have Big Ten, Pac-10, Big 12 and ACC opponents on the schedule, the SEC is the only BCS conference that we don't have a team representing them on our schedule.
10-15-2008 04:55 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
SF Husky Wrote:Remember UCONN also signed a home and home with Tenn, so I guess some SEC teams are ok leaving their stadiums once in a while. We just have to make these games count.

Exactly. I'm glad you guys are getting SEC opponents on your schedule. UC can't get them, we're getting some big time opponents from other conferences like the Big Ten and Big 12 though, but when an SEC opponent plays a Big East team, or any BCS conference plays a Big East team the entire conference gets attention since they talk about the Big East and our teams are talked about on SEC radio and when the scores come up,
10-15-2008 04:58 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

If UC keeps winning it will happen...
10-15-2008 05:12 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
mattsarz Wrote:ESPN has been a big player in the scheduling department well before this SEC deal, brokering this year's neutral site game in Atlanta for Clemson and Alabama, next year's rumored game between Virginia Tech and Alabama in Atlanta, the Colorado-WVU series Bit mentioned, the schedule shift that brought Fresno St. to Rutgers this year, last year's Oregon St.-Cincinnati game and countless others. And they aren't just scheduling for the AQ conferences. There are many cases where an AQ school visiting a non-AQ school is attached to ESPN guaranteeing the game to be nationally televised.

Of course, they are balancing their own interests as well, which is why we are seeing games virtually every night of the week.

Correct.

Without ESPN's help...UCF never would have been able to host TEXAS last year.

ESPN is involved in non-conf scheduling a lot more than people think...as more and more teams want GUARANTEED NATIONAL TV Coverage for as many of their non-conf games as possible...but most cake-walk games do not make it to National TV (some do...on lower ESPN channels and/or off dates/times).
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 06:03 PM by KnightLight.)
10-15-2008 06:03 PM
USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:
KnightLight Wrote:
mattsarz Wrote:ESPN has been a big player in the scheduling department well before this SEC deal, brokering this year's neutral site game in Atlanta for Clemson and Alabama, next year's rumored game between Virginia Tech and Alabama in Atlanta, the Colorado-WVU series Bit mentioned, the schedule shift that brought Fresno St. to Rutgers this year, last year's Oregon St.-Cincinnati game and countless others. And they aren't just scheduling for the AQ conferences. There are many cases where an AQ school visiting a non-AQ school is attached to ESPN guaranteeing the game to be nationally televised.

Correct.

Without ESPN's help...UCF never would have been able to host TEXAS last year.

ESPN is involved in non-conf scheduling a lot more than people think...as more and more teams want GUARANTEED NATIONAL TV Coverage for as many of their non-conf games as possible...but most cake-walk games do not make it to National TV (some do...on lower ESPN channels and/or off dates/times).

congrats on needing espn to broker a 2 for 1 contract, all right! 03-thumbsup
10-15-2008 07:04 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.