UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The buzz about the game
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
The buzz about the game
I know of about 15+ people that don't usually come to UAB games that will be there Thursday night. Some are disgruntled UAB fans that won't watch us in our hardest times. Others are high school kids (Aubies, Bammers, and Blazers) that are coming for the BBQ contest and to hang out with their friends. Another is a Bammer that wants to just check it out, having never been to a UAB game.

I have a good feeling about the turn out. Am I delusional?
10-01-2008 07:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: The buzz about the game
Hard to say.

I know the local media can't get Darling Nikki's genetalia out of its collective mouth long enough to comment on it.
10-01-2008 08:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
It will be interesting to see what happens. The last Thursday night home game we had was in 2003 with Southern Miss where we had 44,000. Of course that won't happen this time, but generally speaking, weeknight home games have been a fairly decent draw.

The last time we played Memphis at home (2006), we had just over 20,000 people at the game... the time before (in 2004), we had 27,000+. Neither Memphis nor UAB are particularly good, but I think the BBQ will become more and more of a draw in the years to come. For this game, this year, I would be pretty pleased if we could get around 22,000. It's just too hard to say, though, since this is our first Thursday home game in about 5 years.
10-01-2008 09:08 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

I believe a lot of high school players will come out with their dads to check out UAB. Since many of them are realizing their dreams of playing at Bama or Auburn are fading away, they may be looking to see if they can be a Blazer or a Memphis Tiger for that matter (of course most aren't good enough to be either, but they don't know it yet). Or maybe they just want to see some college football and this game is convenient since it doesn't interfere with Bammer or AU games. For whatever reason, I think we will see a lot of high schoolers.

Also, I expect the student section to be better than usual (which isn't saying much). Unless things have changed a lot in the last decade, Thursday is the biggest party night of the week, and students need something to do before going to the clubs and bars Thursday night. A ballgame is perfect. Of course free BBQ doesn't hurt either.

All in all, I think the Thursday night games are good, except that the tailgating is shortened for a lot of working people, and the road team (Memphis this time) crowd has a hard time making it.

In predicting attendance, my head says about 25,000, but in my heart, I'm looking for 72,000 green and gold clad maniacs screaming like mad for the only team that matters in a standing room only packed house! 04-rock

See you at the Old Gray Lady!
10-01-2008 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

20K will be a good crowd I think. Id be shocked ( but very happy) if it were more.
10-01-2008 02:26 PM
LXA-Tiger Offline
BBQ MASTER

I Root For: Memphis
the Dragon Wrote:Also, I expect the student section to be better than usual (which isn't saying much). Unless things have changed a lot in the last decade, Thursday is the biggest party night of the week, and students need something to do before going to the clubs and bars Thursday night. A ballgame is perfect. Of course free BBQ doesn't hurt either.

Free BBQ???? BBQ teams competing can not give out samples (Health Reg) to general public.... Sorry
10-01-2008 02:35 PM
Advertisement

dragonbreath Offline
All American

BlazerTalk Award
14,621 in seats.
10-01-2008 03:22 PM
BandGrad Offline
Heisman

LXA-Tiger Wrote:
the Dragon Wrote:Also, I expect the student section to be better than usual (which isn't saying much). Unless things have changed a lot in the last decade, Thursday is the biggest party night of the week, and students need something to do before going to the clubs and bars Thursday night. A ballgame is perfect. Of course free BBQ doesn't hurt either.

Free BBQ???? BBQ teams competing can not give out samples (Health Reg) to general public.... Sorry

That sucks dirt. How much are you charging for some Q???
10-01-2008 05:08 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

They can't sell it either! If I were Full Moon, I would have jumped on the chance to get a food vendor's license for the game and sell bbq by the contest site... they'd make a killing.
10-01-2008 05:23 PM
LXA-Tiger Offline
BBQ MASTER

Schard Wrote:
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

They can't sell it either! If I were Full Moon, I would have jumped on the chance to get a food vendor's license for the game and sell bbq by the contest site... they'd make a killing.

With everyone coming straight from work it would be a great idea. Banddad stop by after 5pm if you will wear a Memphis shirt I may happen to lay a plate of ribs on the table. What happens to that plate I have no idea.

By the way where is a ABC store near LF or near Trussville??? are they open early in the am (8ish). If not I will trade money and ribs for a plastic bottle of Jim Beam (750ml). pm me or call me at 901-355-6408
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2008 06:54 PM by LXA-Tiger.)
10-01-2008 06:50 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

dragonbreath Wrote:14,621 in seats.

That's just insane. We had 26k in seats for Alabama State. Remember, per NCAA rules we can only report turnstile counts now.
10-01-2008 07:57 PM
Advertisement

klg316 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
the Dragon Wrote:I know of about 15+ people that don't usually come to UAB games that will be there Thursday night. Some are disgruntled UAB fans that won't watch us in our hardest times. Others are high school kids (Aubies, Bammers, and Blazers) that are coming for the BBQ contest and to hang out with their friends. Another is a Bammer that wants to just check it out, having never been to a UAB game.

I have a good feeling about the turn out. Am I delusional?

When I played this game on my Xbox 360 it looked like a pretty full house. There were so many people at the game that they had to put the upper deck back on Legion Field.
10-01-2008 07:59 PM
BlazerRob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
blazr Wrote:
dragonbreath Wrote:14,621 in seats.

That's just insane. We had 26k in seats for Alabama State. Remember, per NCAA rules we can only report turnstile counts now.

Alabama State brought a lot more fans than Memphis will. Especially with gas near $4 a gallon and the game being on a Thursday night.
10-01-2008 08:15 PM
oldblazer79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: my kids, UAB
LXA-Tiger Wrote:
Schard Wrote:
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

With everyone coming straight from work it would be a great idea. Banddad stop by after 5pm if you will wear a Memphis shirt I may happen to lay a plate of ribs on the table. What happens to that plate I have no idea.

By the way where is a ABC store near LF or near Trussville??? are they open early in the am (8ish). If not I will trade money and ribs for a plastic bottle of Jim Beam (750ml). pm me or call me at 901-355-6408
North Chalkville Road I-59N exit 141, about 1 mile from I-59 toward Pinson.
You'll have to drive past Sam's and WallyWorld, top the hill and it's on the right in a small strip center.

Now, how 'bout some ribs?
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2008 08:40 PM by oldblazer79.)
10-01-2008 08:39 PM
LXA-Tiger Offline
BBQ MASTER

oldblazer79 Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:
Schard Wrote:
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

You'll have to drive past Sam's and WallyWorld, top the hill and it's on the right in a small strip center.

Is it open early (8ish)??? I may have to hit a store after I set-up is there one near LF??? and you have to say the secret password...

Alabama Ribs suck.... Memphis Rules
10-01-2008 08:45 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
<<I will trade money and ribs for a plastic bottle of Jim Beam>>

Sorry, used my last one to break Shawn Taggert's nose.
10-01-2008 08:45 PM
Advertisement

oldblazer79 Offline
Heisman

LXA-Tiger Wrote:
oldblazer79 Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:
Schard Wrote:
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

Is it open early (8ish)??? I may have to hit a store after I set-up is there one near LF??? and you have to say the secret password...

I don't know how early it opens.

Oh well, I'll have to burn my own ribs this weekend.
10-01-2008 08:49 PM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
oldblazer79 Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:
Schard Wrote:
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

Yee O'l Blazer, making deals with the enemy-
A certain song comes to mind:

"You better make your face up in
Your favorite disguise.
With your button down lips and your
Roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile
And your hungry heart.
Feel the bile rising from your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters
When the conchshell shatters
And the hammers batter
Down your door.
You'd better run."

Just kidding, BTW: I was only looking for a reason to tout one of my favorite bands and one of my favorite songs on a nite before we destroy one of my favorite opponents...
GO BLAZERS!!!!!
10-01-2008 08:52 PM
oldblazer79 Offline
Heisman

USAFBlazerFan Wrote:
oldblazer79 Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:
Schard Wrote:
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

Yee O'l Blazer, making deals with the enemy-
A certain song comes to mind:

"You better make your face up in
Your favorite disguise.
With your button down lips and your
Roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile
And your hungry heart.
Feel the bile rising from your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters
When the conchshell shatters
And the hammers batter
Down your door.
You'd better run."

Just kidding, BTW: I was only looking for a reason to tout one of my favorite bands and one of my favorite songs on a nite before we destroy one of my favorite opponents...
GO BLAZERS!!!!!
we all have our price, but

this ain't mine02-13-banana
oldblazer79 Wrote:Oh well, I'll have to burn my own ribs this weekend.
10-01-2008 09:56 PM
dragonbreath Offline
All American

BlazerTalk Award
LXA-Tiger Wrote:
oldblazer79 Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:
Schard Wrote:
BandGrad Wrote:
LXA-Tiger Wrote:

Lot's of package stores on Greensprings also. Dee's etc.
10-02-2008 05:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.