Carthage game
Bookmark and Share
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Campbell
Carthage game
Does anyone know anything about Carthage? Do we have a chance to pick up our first win next weekend?

Any word on injury to our starting quarterback?

Any word on when we will get Carl Smith back at running back? (We could sure use him to maintain ball control and give the defense a rest)

Has anyone else noticed how obnoxious our offense line coach is? I played offensive line and if my coach had talked to me the way he talks to the players I would have been kicked off the team because I would deck him.

We don't need him or his potty mouth at Campbell in my opinion. He can just go back to whatever rock he crawled out from under in Michigan.

Has anyone else noticed him?
09-20-2008 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lurking Dog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Drake
RE: Carthage game
Division III Carthage is 2-0. They are pass crazy...better get pressure on the QB.

Chance for a win? Sure.
09-20-2008 08:40 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

Carl Smith will not be back for three more weeks at least. Until then it will be a committee of backs lead by Brown, Oates and Cabral.

Coach O is yeller and if they players don't like it they can leave. If you don't want him to yell, simply stop making mistakes. He is like most offensive line coaches in the college and pro game and will give it to you if you are not doing your job. I like it. He should help change the losing culture that is Campbell athletics and I wouldn't mind if coaches in the other sports followed his lead. Maybe losing wouldn't be such a common problem at Campbell if all the coaches stopped trying to be choir boys. Sometimes the only way to get through to athletes is vocally making your point with a few choice words.
09-21-2008 12:42 PM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

camels7778 Wrote:Carl Smith will not be back for three more weeks at least. Until then it will be a committee of backs lead by Brown, Oates and Cabral.

Coach O is yeller and if they players don't like it they can leave. If you don't want him to yell, simply stop making mistakes. He is like most offensive line coaches in the college and pro game and will give it to you if you are not doing your job. I like it. He should help change the losing culture that is Campbell athletics and I wouldn't mind if coaches in the other sports followed his lead. Maybe losing wouldn't be such a common problem at Campbell if all the coaches stopped trying to be choir boys. Sometimes the only way to get through to athletes is vocally making your point with a few choice words.

That is too bad about Carl Smith. He is the best offensive player we have and the key to the ball control that we need to have to keep the defense off the field.

I will have to strongly disagree with you about Coach O. His conduct at the game is repugnant and he has no business as an employee of Campbell University. I hate that any monies I have donated to the program are going to pay that losers salary. He is not going to get the respect or results from his players treating them less than you would a dog. And that is how he treats them. You can get your point across in an effective manner with using F bombs as the noun, verb, pronoun, adverb and adjetive in the same sentence. I don't think he has any business at Campbell and intend to do all the complaining I can to hopefully send his butt back to Michigan. If they don't send him on his way he is going to have to listen to me sitting right behind the bench and giving him just as much hell as he gives the players. Nobody deserves to be treated or talked to the way he treats them no matter how bad of a mistake they made. I know you have to get hold of the players when they make mistakes but his methods are way out of line in my opinion.

I would rather lose every game we play than tolerate a coach like him. There is no reason for him to act like he does and no excuse for his use of the English language. He may stay at Campbell but I intend to oppose him and his methods as long as he is there.

Look at his resume - he is a recruiter not an offensive line coach. He has never even coached the offensive line before at any of the jobs he has had. I wonder if he uses the same language in the homes of the players he recruits as he does on the sidelines. It is one thing to get upset once in a while but that is his normal form of communication. I say we give him a one way ticket back to Michigan.
09-21-2008 06:11 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

I will say we have to agree to disagree about Coach O. Although I have never personally gotten the chance to get to know the man I do think he is a good coach that truly cares about this program (maybe even more than you since his job and the way he supports his family depends on it). If that is the way he gets his point across to his players so be it. I've had coaches just like him my whole athletic career (baseball, football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, track) and while I never particularly cared for the yelling I also understood it proved proper motivation to avoid it. I've always liked the winning associated with "Bobby Knight" like coaches. If you want to make it your personal agenda to get rid of the man so be it. Some people have something better to do with their times but if you don't that's truly your business. I'm more concerned with winning and developing a winning culture as we head into a new era with new facilities and a new football program. I will say before you make it your personal mission to send him back to Michigan have you personally asked the players he is yelling at if they mind? Maybe they too realize that all of this is part of the building block necessary to be a successful program.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2008 09:12 PM by camels7778.)
09-23-2008 07:35 PM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

No I have not asked the players personally what they think. I can tell by their expressions and from experience that they probably don't care for it. I don't care to hear him personally and I really don't care for my kids to hear him either. He can get his point across without acting like he does. It takes a fairly ignorant and common person to act like that. That is all I am saying.

I have personally contacted Coach O about it and am awaiting his response. Maybe someone should make a tape of him at the games and let him watch to see if he is proud of his actions.

I will have to just respectively disagree with you about his methods. I have had a lot of coaches that motivated me in my life but I would not lift a finger to respond to someone that acted like he did.

Does it not bother you that he is the offensive line coach and has never had any experience in that area. I know he could not have played that position in college because he is not big enough. Michigan prides itself in large offensive linemen and I am sure he did not play that position. From his resume he has never even coached that position at any other school. My take is that he is primarily here for recruiting and they had to find a job for him on the staff to cut down on the costs of hiring another coach just for the line. It is pretty obvious from all of the center quarterback issues last week that a lot of work needs to be done in that area. If you can't protect the quarterback you are going to get the him killed. If you can't even get the ball to the quarerback you aren't going to be sucessful at all. I just think the coach is over his head coaching that position and it shows from the performance on the field.

Example - our D line is probably the best part of our defense. They do a great job upfront. We have a D line coach that actually played the position and coached it at NC State. He gets a great effort from his players and the results show on the field and he does not have to act anything like Coach O does.

We will see. I hope it gets better. All I am asking the guy to do is coach without making a total idiot out of himself and the school. Be a little professional about it and show a little tact. Maybe it will get better. I will see how things go and how he responds.
09-23-2008 07:55 PM
Advertisement

camels7778 Offline
2nd String

Not to defend him and the offensive line but if you have been following the program as closely as you make it seem like you have you would of noticed that the starting center for Camels in the last game was not who played the position the first game or even any of the previous games. Hence that may explain some of the miss snaps. Further, anyone that follows college football closely can tell you developing offensive lineman is one of the most difficult things to do in short period of time. As a former offensive lineman (you mention earlier that you played the line position I'm guessing it was probably on both sides of the ball) you know firsthand that an offensive line is one that needs to act as one cohesive unit in order to be successful. Right now the unit is not cohesive, but can you really blame a man that is working with bunch of young men at this point that are all learning each others tendencies? Many of the lineman that are seeing the field and consistently playing only have the benefit of a few weeks of actual coaching and real strength training. I believe the starting center was a player that had been playing guard or tackle (I can't remember where I had seen him in the last game). I can't remember having seen one of the players that was starting at guard in the last game (San Diego) in the first game (Birmingham Southern) nor can I remember reading his name in the box score (believe it started with a P like Phillips or B like Bass). While I am not condoning his language around your children this is still college football and you would hear something as bad if not worse if you sit that close at an N.C. State game. Football is a game that is not meant for choir boys and in that same regard it is not meant for choir boys as coaches (mostly because they are all former players). When Campbell adding football I expected as much. These are all minor problems compared to other more established programs. I anticipate there are going to be some rocky times and even gasp...some actual real off the field issues with players having to be suspended for some sort of team violation (drinking, drugs, cheating, etc).

I know the point you were trying to make but my point is this, instead of getting the rope out and dragging him behind your car out of town because he is not a native Southern gentleman or someone that doesn't shout what Campbell is all about to you, embrace him for what he is and that is someone that was considered good enough to be on this staff and one of the first wave of coaches that have come through the program and attempted to give something to Campbell something that has been missing for over 50 years. I know you may just judge him as a "yelling idiot" but he like the players he may be finding his way. And always keep this in mind, even the coaches are learning. None of them have experienced having to do so much hands on teaching all the time with every player. I'm sure it has to be frustrating to him and all the coaches to have to keeping going over the same thing over and over again and still not see the results of all the hard work and film study you have been putting in.

He also may not of had the original title of offensive line coach since his hiring (the since departed Lonnie Hansen did before he left the program after a year on the job) but he does have offensive line experience (straight from his release "Olejniczak assisted the offensive line and tight end coaches at Michigan State the past two seasons") and is obviously thought of well enough to have the trust of the head coach of the program (who really is the only one that matters in all of this talk on a message board).

But back to the topic on hand, I do have a good feeling about this weekend. I wondering if Carthage College will be having live stats? I still haven't gotten the package to listen to the games since I can make most of them maybe this is the week I splurge and listen to Robert Harper and the Camels online. Does anyone else have it? I know Harper does a good job on basketball, how is he at describing football? How is Mickey Bridgers as the color man?
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2008 09:11 PM by camels7778.)
09-23-2008 08:57 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

Great win for the Camels today. Milton Brown had a heck of game. He should be in contention for Campbell's first weekly award.
09-28-2008 01:32 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

I had trouble accessing the game on gocamels.com. Had to listen to the Carthage broadcast. Their guy does a good job. He complained that Campbell's jersey numbers are sometimes difficult to read and I can't argue with that. Enjoyed listening to this guy pronounce "Angier" and "Faison", NC in Chicago-ese!

Talk about an emotional rollercoaster...this game was it. Going up 20-0 and seeing it whittled down to a 27-26 deficit.....I was preparing for another loss when Carthage had 1st and goal at Campbell's 5. Then came that interception - I believe the sixth of the night at that point!

'76, did you go? Anyone else? Sounded like a pretty good Campbell crowd. Also, it sounds like it's a nice campus on Lake Michigan.

Anyone else ever have trouble with that subscription webcast service? (This was my first trouble. It usually works fine.)
09-28-2008 07:42 PM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

Great win for the camels. Was out of the state and not able to listen to the game. Congrats to the team for the first win of the year and first win in 50 years.

The guys deserve this win after all the hard work they have been putting in. Looking forward to the next home game.
09-28-2008 11:05 PM
Small_Wonder Offline
2nd String

In the box score it said that Vollono threw a pass but Snow was the starter.

What happened there?
09-29-2008 06:32 AM
Advertisement

camels7778 Offline
2nd String

I'm guessing Vollono was hurt or maybe the coaches were just hoping to shake things up a bit since Munro also played in the game.
09-29-2008 09:58 AM
Camel76 Offline
Bench Warmer

Snow played a fantastic game.
09-29-2008 11:29 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

I wouldn't go as far as fantastic. He was serviceable and did an effective job of managing the game. He did what he was asked to do and what he was capable of doing. His numbers of 12 for 24 for 142 yards and two touchdowns is nothing to sneeze at but also nothing to throw a parade about.
09-30-2008 10:51 AM
Camel76 Offline
Bench Warmer

serviceable? He led his team to victory and any victory for a first year team is fantastic. Carthage was a better team than Birmingham-Southern and Methodist and it was a lengthy road trip for a very young team. Snow, Oates, Constantine and of course Brown played fantastic games. No ones throwing a parade as NC State did after beating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl a few years back, but it's surly something to celebrate. As for Snow, I would sure ask him to do what he's capable of doing again this Saturday.That being said against a veteran Dayton team who is defending conference champions, one can only expect so much.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2008 11:54 AM by Camel76.)
09-30-2008 11:40 AM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

Wesley Snow is the backup quarterback and like most backup quarterbacks he has now become a fan favorite. Yes, what he did was nice in getting the win but it was not fantastic, extraordinary or any other adjective you want to throw out there. He was pressed into duty (I've learned since my first email through a few conversations with some students that it was an injury substitution) and he did was he was asked to do. I'll go out on a limb here and say he will play limited duty this week and for the rest of the season if Matt Vollono remains healthy. The way the offense moved the ball in the second half was pretty bad when all the other team was doing, most likely, was loading the box to slow Oates. I think if anything C.J. Oates, Milton Brown and Brandon Chandler should be the ones credited more with the win. They all made game changing plays when the team was struggling. All the players should be given credit for great effort and bringing home the win and I am very happy for it, but don't build the statue to Snow yet. He may not even see the field in meaningful time this week or the weeks to come if Vollono is recovered.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2008 12:38 PM by camels7778.)
09-30-2008 12:36 PM
Advertisement

Camel76 Offline
Bench Warmer

camels7778, we'll we'll just have to agree to disagree which it seems may be the stance other poster take with some of your positions I see. Snow as the QB led the team to victory Saturday night. Until Satiurday the offense been pretty lethargic. Can you give us any reason to build a statue for Vollono? I think not. Personnel change all the time on successful football teams, and you go with the players that are performing. Snow was a leader on the CU team last year while they labored hard for this season. He is seeing some of the fruits of his labor and I would call that a positive and yes fantastic experience.
I could go on but we'll just let game performances and results back up opinions.
09-30-2008 05:14 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

I will say you are correct we will agree to disagree. Mark my words though, I will be right. Vollono will be back quarterbacking this team with Snow going to the bench if he is healthy. I'm not saying I will build a statue to Vollono but I am also not calling his performances this season "fantastic" as you did with Snow. It was a good win and he did play a big role in it. If he would of thrown the winning touchdown pass or even led a great drive in the fourth quarter I would have been tempted but he didn't and that is why it was serviceable in my opinion. He is a game manager similar to Tavarius Jackson, Trent Dilfer and Kyle Orton. You ask him to just do enough to not lose it for you. Vollono is a more talented quarterback and at this point you need to go with the more talented players since the team is not good enough in other areas to be just managed yet.

You're are entitled to your opinion. I'm just telling you how it will end up in the next few weeks or for the rest of the season if Vollono is healthy.
09-30-2008 06:04 PM
Camel76 Offline
Bench Warmer

You see something in Vollono that allot of folks don't see, not knocking the guy just telling it to your straight.. Can you tell us what he's done that deserves a right to continue to be the starter as you've already declared? I believe in building kids up, apparently you like tearing them down. Snow participated in a winning performance and that says allot. Why do you think teams carry 2, 3 sometimes 4 QB's or any position for that matter? There's a reason you know. It's not a inherited right to start. You may be right, and if Vollono comes back and leads the Camels to success that will be good, but I haven't seen it yet. I don't care about being right, i care about the Camels building on success. That's all I'll say on the subject but as you say, we'll look at the rest of the season. You do know Vollono entered the game in the 4th quarter Saturday night at a very vulnerable time in the game. Do you know what he did? Snow finished the game beginning with the next possession.
09-30-2008 09:23 PM
camels7778 Offline
2nd String

Vollono entered the game when the team was faltering and the coaching staff was looking for a spark against Carthage. His knee/ankle/ribs/other body parts were bothering him and he tried to give it a go with limited mobility. I give him credit for the effort. I also give credit to the coaching staff for getting him out of the game when they realized he was not the same when not healthy. I'm not saying playing Vollono or Snow is right or wrong what I'm saying is Vollono will continue to be the starter on this team and is much better for long term and short term success. There is a reason this guy was on Connecticut last season. You may not have seen it yet but the coaching staff has since he has started every game he has been healthy. Snow is a nice backup quarterback that led Campbell to a win. Just like Matt Cassell is a nice backup quarterback that will go back to the role when Brady returns. In the open quarterback competition before the season, despite having over a year to work in the system, he was beaten out by Vollono. I have faith that our coaching staff knows what is best since they view both of these quarterback every day and the success of the team and their job security will depend on the decisions they make.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2008 12:32 PM by camels7778.)
10-01-2008 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.