Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
B.E. really has aweful coaches
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
B.E. really has aweful coaches
I hate to say this but other than Edsell, Schiano, Levitt and Kelly, the coach's in our conference really suck. Krapthorp really impressed me Wednesday night but he gotta continue what he's doing to get off the dreadful list. Stewart, Robinson, Wanny are pretty pathetic gameday coaches.
09-19-2008 01:23 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: B.E. really has aweful coaches
I wouldn't be so quick to count out Stew. After all, he's only had 4 games with a new defense, and a big cog missing from the offense. I was hoping for more from the Mountaineers. But it seems like they lost too much in Owen Schmitt. The defense is starting to come around, which provides hope for the rest of the season. But they really need a big back to open some holes on 3rd down.

I always thought the folks at UofL jumped on Krag too quickly. He inherited a mess. I think everyone's doing the same with Stew. I could be made to look silly later on. But I doubt it. Wanny and GRob I'll agree with.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2008 06:41 AM by bitcruncher.)
09-19-2008 06:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
This board has really aweful spellers. grin

I agree that Stewart is suspect right now but I'm not ready to call him awful. I think more likely WVU could slip a step and become a top 20-40 program. We'll see. Some of his coaching/clock management decisions were curious though.
09-19-2008 08:10 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
I remember when Stewart hired most of the assistant coaches and that it seemed he went with a lot of assistants who had strong reputations and that it would allow him to be more of an administrator at the HC position. And if that is the case, he needs to work on that since time management would fall under him as a HC more than anyone else on the sidelines.

Hopefully he'll learn from this, but let's remember that he is NOT a rookie HC. He had three years under his belt at VMI and while they probably didn't get in a lot of situations where the two minute offense and time management was a requirement (8-25 was his record there), it should have been something that he had, in his mind, a concept of what he wanted to do.

Also, he's been around this group of players for their entire time with the program. He is no outsider and he knows the qualities of these players. He might not have been a QB coach where he knows the ins-and-outs of Pat White, but he knows what Pat White is capable of.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2008 10:17 AM by mattsarz.)
09-19-2008 10:12 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

His 3 years at VMI were 20 years ago. How well do you remember things learned 20 years ago? It's not like riding a bicycle...
09-19-2008 12:50 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
TexanMark Wrote:This board has really aweful spellers. grin

Funny part about that is someone else used the same spelling last night in the game thread.
09-19-2008 01:01 PM
TyBull Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF / GA Tech
animus Wrote:I hate to say this but other than Edsell, Schiano, Levitt and Kelly, the coach's in our conference really suck. Krapthorp really impressed me Wednesday night but he gotta continue what he's doing to get off the dreadful list. Stewart, Robinson, Wanny are pretty pathetic gameday coaches.

Jim Leavitt
09-19-2008 03:27 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
bitcruncher Wrote:His 3 years at VMI were 20 years ago. How well do you remember things learned 20 years ago? It's not like riding a bicycle...

They were from 1994-96.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coachin...achid=3162

And its not like Stewart was sitting at home, in the broadcast booth like Dick Vermeil or running a NASCAR team like Joe Gibbs. He worked in the CFL right after that and then was on the sidelines at WVU. Yes, those are Hall of Fame coaches (at least Gibbs is) and Gibbs did have the boneheaded move where he wasn't aware that you couldn't call back-to-back TOs last year and that was in his 4th year after a 12 year layoff. I would expect him to know that rule.

Just like I'd hope that Bill Stewart uses this experience to refine his clock management skills.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2008 03:43 PM by mattsarz.)
09-19-2008 03:37 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I just hope he learns from experience...
09-19-2008 04:15 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Well we will find out soon enough West Virginia is playing Marshall and Rutgers in next two weeks.
The Eers are more talented and should win both, if they struggle and lose then there is a high chance their season will crash down on them and Stewart will be under great pressure.
09-19-2008 04:21 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

The season has already crashed. The only question is, will it burn away too. The rest of the season better show more steady improvement, or it will...
09-19-2008 04:23 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
There is a chance Stewart can still improve the team if he learns from his mistakes. Who knows? I guess by end of the season we will know where he stands.
09-20-2008 12:11 AM
LaRue777 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU,ECU,MI
Given the relatively low pay Stewart is earning and the relatively high pay of his assistants I would think Stewart might delegate more responsibility then you would normally see and act a bit more like an administrator. Given this I think we need to shift some of the blame to the OC and other assistants handling the offense. They would be the one making the calls.

I don't know what to think about time management in his case but I have seen good coaches make terrible decisions (Nehlen, Schembechler). Hopefully they will be able to get a handle on when TO's get called.
09-20-2008 08:17 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
So far the problem seems to be the new offense. Your OC or whoever is calling plays seems to have stolen Matt Cavanaugh's ability to call a game. Oh, and your OL is not very good. Devine & White are great players, but they need to get out of the backfield first. Welcome to Pitt 2007. No passing game and lots of 8 man fronts. You either need to get a decent passing game going or make people pay for bringing the safeties up by beating them with the big plays.
09-20-2008 08:32 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.