Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Memphis AD dicsusses scheduling on radio this morning
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Memphis AD dicsusses scheduling on radio this morning
Memphis is in discussions with WVU, Syrucuse and Cincinnati about possilbe FB series. WVU talks are most serious.

Despite the FB series, Pitino has no desire to play Memphis in BB.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2008 01:15 PM by 3601.)
09-10-2008 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
RE: Memphis AD dicsusses scheudling on radio this morning
3601 Wrote:Memphis is in discussions with WVU, Syrucuse and Cincinnati about possilbe FB series. WVU talks are most serious.

Serious question here, but does Johnson have some kind of insatiable publicity Jones? I've never seen an AD who talks as much as him. Obviously I'm sensitive to it because he ran his mouth about USF not being an expansion candidate for the Big East and talked a little trash about us, and I would have thought that might have taught him a lesson.

I can't imagine that UM needs any kind of publicity in the city of Memphis. You're pretty much the only game in town, right?

USFFan
09-10-2008 11:40 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
3601 Wrote:Memphis is in discussions with WVU, Syrucuse and Cincinnati about possilbe FB series. WVU talks are most serious.

It would be great if this gets done. I don’t need excuses to go hit Beale once every two years, but it doesn’t hurt either.
09-10-2008 11:53 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:

It would be great if this gets done. I don’t need excuses to go hit Beale once every two years, but it doesn’t hurt either.

Roger that. Memphis is a fun visit. I use to go to New Orleans when the Bearcats would play Tulane. Other than always playing terrible football in that dome, a weekend in the French Quarter is great fun.
09-10-2008 11:58 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
usffan Wrote:

Serious question here, but does Johnson have some kind of insatiable publicity Jones? I've never seen an AD who talks as much as him. Obviously I'm sensitive to it because he ran his mouth about USF not being an expansion candidate for the Big East and talked a little trash about us, and I would have thought that might have taught him a lesson.

I can't imagine that UM needs any kind of publicity in the city of Memphis. You're pretty much the only game in town, right?

USFFan

Well there's also the Grizzles, and BBQ.......ok maybe just the BBQ
09-10-2008 12:09 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

usffan Wrote:Serious question here, but does Johnson have some kind of insatiable publicity Jones?

He's on a local radio show here twice a month. It's good publicity and helps promote the University and the athletic programs. The subject of future scheduling comes up a lot and he simply answers the questions.

I think the guy is an average AD at best. However, he's no publicity hound. He's simply doing part of his job. The comments about USF back in 2003 were flat out ignorant.

From what I can recall, he never said anything truly negative about USF. However, he first said the Big East wasn't going to Florida and later he said that the reason Memphis didn't get in was pure geography. I think we all know he was wrong on both comments.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2008 12:59 PM by 3601.)
09-10-2008 12:58 PM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
3601 Wrote:
usffan Wrote:Serious question here, but does Johnson have some kind of insatiable publicity Jones?

He's on a local radio show here twice a month. It's good publicity and helps promote the University and the athletic programs. The subject of future scheduling comes up a lot and he simply answers the questions.

He's actually on 3 or 4 radio shows each month and does a great job promoting UofM.

Quote:I think the guy is an average AD at best.

I don't agree with him on everything, but consider him to be one of the best AD's in the country.

Quote:The comments about USF back in 2003 were flat out ignorant.

I think he simply underestimated the Big East's determination to maintain a Florida presence.

Quote:From what I can recall, he never said anything truly negative about USF.

True - no bashing whatsoever.

Quote:However, he first said the Big East wasn't going to Florida and later he said that the reason Memphis didn't get in was pure geography. I think we all know he was wrong on both comments.

In a sense it was geography - Memphis isn't in Florida.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2008 01:50 PM by Gray Avenger.)
09-10-2008 01:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
usffan Offline
Heisman

Gray Avenger Wrote:
3601 Wrote:

He's actually on 3 or 4 radio shows each month and does a great job promoting UofM.

I don't agree with him on everything, but consider him to be one of the best AD's in the country.

I think he simply underestimated the Big East's determination to maintain a Florida presence.

Quote:However, he first said the Big East wasn't going to Florida and later he said that the reason Memphis didn't get in was pure geography. I think we all know he was wrong on both comments.

I'm inclined to let it die and not re-open a long debate, but neither Johnson nor Rawlins were kind to USF. I was glad to see Rawlins leave and won't shed a tear when Johnson's put out to pasture, either. Given that he's allegedly dropped inferences on the air about Memphis to the Big East that have been bandied about on here before, coupled with his premature statements back when the Big East expanded, have made him seem to be an attention whore to me. Maybe that's a misperception, but he definitely doesn't shy away from the spotlight.

Since I live in the San Francisco area and not Tampa, I can't speak to how often Doug Woolard gets on the air. However, I can tell you that the only time either the Cal or Stanford AD's are on the air are either at halftime of their team's games or if something unusual takes place like hiring a new coach or chasing hippies out of trees.

USFFan
09-10-2008 05:09 PM
Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Memphis AD dicsusses scheduling on radio this morning
3601 Wrote:Pitino has no desire to play Memphis in BB.

Shocking.

Good luck against Marshall. 03-yawn
09-10-2008 05:27 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

usffan Wrote:
Gray Avenger Wrote:
3601 Wrote:

I'm inclined to let it die and not re-open a long debate, but neither Johnson nor Rawlins were kind to USF. I was glad to see Rawlins leave and won't shed a tear when Johnson's put out to pasture, either. Given that he's allegedly dropped inferences on the air about Memphis to the Big East that have been bandied about on here before, coupled with his premature statements back when the Big East expanded, have made him seem to be an attention whore to me. Maybe that's a misperception, but he definitely doesn't shy away from the spotlight.

Since I live in the San Francisco area and not Tampa, I can't speak to how often Doug Woolard gets on the air. However, I can tell you that the only time either the Cal or Stanford AD's are on the air are either at halftime of their team's games or if something unusual takes place like hiring a new coach or chasing hippies out of trees.

USFFan

I'm not as big of an RC Johnson fan as GA, but I find nothing wrong with an AD taking free radio time to promote his athletic programs. Some schools would pay for that kind of publicity.
09-10-2008 07:33 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Gray Avenger Wrote:In a sense it was geography - Memphis isn't in Florida.

I said it wasn't PURE geography. If UL was located in Memphis and UofM was located in Louisville, UL would still have been chosen over Memphis. Everyone knows that.
09-10-2008 07:35 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I doubt that a Memphis/Cincinnati football series will come to fruition, though I would love to see it, but I definitely can see a WVU and Syracuse series coming to fruition. With Memphis and Syracuse starting up a basketball series it's a natural, and WVU would obviously be interested in playing a southern school.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2008 07:36 PM by CatsClaw.)
09-10-2008 07:35 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

CatsClaw Wrote:I doubt that a Memphis/Cincinnati football series will come to fruition, though I would love to see it, but I definitely can see a WVU and Syracuse series coming to fruition. With Memphis and Syracuse starting up a basketball series it's a natural, and WVU would obviously be interested in playing a southern school.

Just curious...why do you think we could get series with UL (already a done deal), and possibly WVU and SU, but not UC?
09-10-2008 08:18 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

usffan Wrote:
Gray Avenger Wrote:
3601 Wrote:

USFFan

Let me also say that Memphis is a different animal than Stanford or Cal. I imagine the Giants and 49ers dominate Bay Area sports. Then you also have the Warriors. Memphis has the Grizzlies, but the Tigers are still THE FRANCHISE in Memphis sports. Very similar to Louisville in their market.
09-10-2008 08:20 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia
If WVU is in serious talks with Memphis, then I can only assume there is no intent to continue the Marshall series beyond the games currently scheduled.
09-10-2008 08:44 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
usffan Wrote:Given that he's allegedly dropped inferences on the air about Memphis to the Big East that have been bandied about on here before, coupled with his premature statements back when the Big East expanded, have made him seem to be an attention whore to me.

I agree that Johnson was lost during the last Big East expansion. I think most Memphis fans would agree that he should have done more than send a brochure to Big East officials touting his program. Now he is doing what any good AD does. He is being a cheerleader for his program. Aside from his Elvis fetish, I like RC. He is candid and seems approachable.
College athletics is business, big business. Business is about building relationships and that's exactly what Johnson is doing scheduling as many Big East programs as possible. He wants Memphis fans, and the fans and administrators of Big East programs, to see games against each other as a natural thing. When Johnson can get fans at Syracuse and West Virginia wondering where the Memphis game is on the football schedule every year, he will have an "in" to the conference with the next round of expansion.
CJ
09-11-2008 05:00 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
3601 Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:I doubt that a Memphis/Cincinnati football series will come to fruition, though I would love to see it, but I definitely can see a WVU and Syracuse series coming to fruition. With Memphis and Syracuse starting up a basketball series it's a natural, and WVU would obviously be interested in playing a southern school.

Just curious...why do you think we could get series with UL (already a done deal), and possibly WVU and SU, but not UC?
UC people (in general) have always been much more excited about the basketball series with UM than football. But, the other variable is that people weren’t so excited about UC football last time we played. So, maybe that whole thing has changed now.
09-11-2008 08:38 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

The problem most USF fans who remember the whole expansion process was that he made several comments that the only reason was competitive was b/c we had a lot of non-qualifiers and juco transfers. He was wrong on both accounts, so I suppose the best way to describe him is as ignorant.

It really doesn't matter any more other than explain why some USF fans like myself and 'Fan are at times somewhat critical of Memphis. IMO, Memphis and/or ECU would make fine BigEast #9s & #10s.
09-11-2008 08:46 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
CyberBull Wrote:The problem most USF fans who remember the whole expansion process was that he made several comments that the only reason was competitive was b/c we had a lot of non-qualifiers and juco transfers.

Are you sure RC Johnson said that? I certainly never heard it and I kept my ear to the ground during the time. He is a gentleman and it doesn't sound like him to publicly bash ANYONE.
09-11-2008 11:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
3601 Wrote:

I might be pessimistic, because it has been 5 years and a lot of things have changed, but if I'm correct, the rumor that I heard was that UC was interested in playing Memphis in football but Memphis wasn't really interested in playing UC. Some of it, I'm sure, was because of out fanbase. UC's fanbase has increased by 10,000 since then (averaged 30,000 last year, and actually drew around 27,000 for a Division I-AA this year), so who knows. Along with fanbases, the fact that UC has been a player on the national scene, and Memphis' renewed series with Louisville might have changed things, along with Memphis being willing to lay the groundwork for future Big East inclusion. Trust me, I want UC to play Memphis in football badly, and I want the basketball series to continue. I love Memphis to death.
09-11-2008 06:37 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.