Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Wilkie So.Miss @ Louisville in 09
MadEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Wilkie So.Miss @ Louisville in 09
Maybe we can talk Yune into coming up there to tailgate with you, Maize and L-Yes... lol
09-08-2008 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

BYUcoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
RE: Wilkie So.Miss @ Louisville in 09
Should be a fun one to watch. How did that rivalry start I have read a here and there about the bad blood between the two?
09-08-2008 04:24 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

Louisville sprayed water onto an icy field in 1981 and beat USM's best ever team. USM was #8 at the time. In 1991? (or was it '90?), USM got some payback and beat Louisville's eventual Fiesta Bowl-playing, Bama-stomping team for their only loss of the year. Favre threw the hail-mary in '89. Louisville stomped USM's last ranked team in 2000. USM leads the series 18-8 with Louisville winning the last 3 (which we could never be able to forget). It's a good series despite what the record tells most. Dave Ragone (3-0 versus USM) should die from gonorrhea and rot in hell!
09-08-2008 05:31 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I am really really glad to be playing S. Miss again. I bet the stadium will be rocking that night! It'd be good to alternate a series between USM and Memphis..... Is Yune really still around? Man, that guy could really spew some venom, but he was entertaining.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2008 07:21 PM by army56mike.)
09-08-2008 07:20 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

USM@FTL Wrote:Louisville sprayed water onto an icy field in 1981 and beat USM's best ever team. USM was #8 at the time. In 1991? (or was it '90?), USM got some payback and beat Louisville's eventual Fiesta Bowl-playing, Bama-stomping team for their only loss of the year. Favre threw the hail-mary in '89. Louisville stomped USM's last ranked team in 2000. USM leads the series 18-8 with Louisville winning the last 3 (which we could never be able to forget). It's a good series despite what the record tells most. Dave Ragone (3-0 versus USM) should die from gonorrhea and rot in hell!

How could any USM or UL fan not remember the play "Mills Kills" from 1999? USM and UL were tied late in the 4th quarter and USM faced a 4th down around midfield. USM's punt team came on the field and the offense went to the sideline....except Shawn Mills who stopped about a yard short. The punter took the snap and threw a pass to the wide open Mills who got the first down and USM would eventually kick a FG to win the game.

I still have nightmares about the 2000 game when UL came into Hattiesburg and completely destroyed us. Can't remember who the UL QB was but his postgame comments were: "We wanted to beat them so bad that not even Brett Favre could lead a comeback."

Finally the last time the 2 teams played in Hattiesburg (04 I believe), USM's kicker missed 4 FG's...one around the end of regulation, 1 in the first OT, and another in the 2nd OT. UL won the game.

I know it's a fact about the crappy hotel situation but UL's coach at the time (Ron Cooper) loved to talk smack about nothing nice being in Hattiesburg, no nice hotels, no nice restaurants, etc, etc, etc... The hotel situation has gotten a lot better in the last 3 years but we still don't have Marriot or Hilton.

Overall one of USM's most heated rivalries but one in which both teams and fans respected each other IMO. Glad it's back! I just hate that it will be 2012 before Louisville comes back to Hattiesburg.
09-08-2008 09:13 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Glad to hear it! BTW Eagle in June is crazy! 04-cheers
09-08-2008 09:58 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I tried to find the Mills Kills video on you tube, but couldn't. It would be great to have a highlight video of the classic UofL/USM games... i.e. Mills Kills, the Favre Bomb, the overtime FG, seems to me there was another trick play once by USM that beat us.
09-09-2008 06:06 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
army56mike Wrote:I am really really glad to be playing S. Miss again. I bet the stadium will be rocking that night! It'd be good to alternate a series between USM and Memphis..... Is Yune really still around? Man, that guy could really spew some venom, but he was entertaining.
Maybe the USM fans can confirm one way or another, but wasn’t Yune the same guy that was In the Know on this site?
09-10-2008 09:36 AM
CardFANATIC Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL, Neb,OM, EWU
Who could ever forget the illegal play that was Mills Kills. Should have been a flag and was admitted as such by the conference. Was my first game in the pizza palace. Doesn't help the memory that my ex wife was there that day too. LOL
09-10-2008 02:37 PM
Flight of the Eagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fairness
Yes, Eagle-n-Yune was In-the-Know also. He is now known as Legendary Eagle on the USM Board....and, no, the Mills Kills play was not illegal. Bower confirmed that it was not with the officials before the game.......It still is hilarious how the Card fans....and especially John L. Smith....still whine about that great priceless play!......We'll see ya in '09
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2008 09:32 AM by Flight of the Eagle.)
09-12-2008 09:31 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.