Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Mercer going to Conference USA?
Bookmark and Share
Dolphin Dan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Jacksonville
Is Mercer going to Conference USA?
It was great to find this board... I didn't know the A-Sun even had fans.

I heard that the A-Sun's last charter member, Mercer, may be leaving. I heard from a pretty good source that Mercer was going to leave the A-Sun and join Conference USA?

Anyone know anything.
09-03-2008 09:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Is Mercer going to Conference USA?
Dolphin Dan Wrote:It was great to find this board... I didn't know the A-Sun even had fans.

I heard that the A-Sun's last charter member, Mercer, may be leaving. I heard from a pretty good source that Mercer was going to leave the A-Sun and join Conference USA?

Anyone know anything.

I don't know anything, but I would say that that is a pretty ridiculous rumor.
09-03-2008 09:55 PM
Stetson_1883 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Stetson Univers
Dolphin Dan Wrote:It was great to find this board... I didn't know the A-Sun even had fans.

Anyone know anything.

What in the world are you smoking? That make no sense whatsoever. You better get back to Dolphin Land dude.
09-03-2008 10:30 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mercer

Anyone know anything.

I'm sure someone was messing with you. However, it would be great news. The ASUN is a joke!
09-03-2008 10:41 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
I'm with CWG, would be an incredible move -- but this is out of left field. So where is your source located?
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2008 11:29 PM by MercerFan.)
09-03-2008 11:29 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Actually this is true. Also Kennesaw State is joining the ACC.
09-04-2008 07:21 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
Wooohooo!!! Tobacco Road here we come!!!!!! Thanks for the tip Gold!
09-04-2008 08:15 AM
silence dogood Offline
2nd String

I Root For: bucs
anyone ever notice that virtually every member of the A-Sun has someone who comes on the message board and posts that the A-Sun stinks. well - if that is the case - what does it say about that poster's team.
09-04-2008 10:49 AM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
Don't insert logic into the equation silence....!!! I for one think the ASun has a ton of potential. We will start to see the conference grow very soon. Kennesaw, Jacksonville, ETSU, Belmont, Mercer, FGCU all have excellent potential as mid major basketball schools. Once one of them makes the step up, the rest will be scrambling to catch up and it will be great for the whole conference. Lets face it, basketball is the key to this conference getting any recognition. Our baseball teams are already very competitive with anyone in Division I. Once we can get our basketball teams on that same level then we will have something.
09-04-2008 11:03 AM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

silence dogood Wrote:anyone ever notice that virtually every member of the A-Sun has someone who comes on the message board and posts that the A-Sun stinks. well - if that is the case - what does it say about that poster's team.

exactly...

not just the team though, Mercer is too good a school to be in the ASUN; athletic ability has nothing to do with it. Look at Vandy, Wake (maybe not this year), Tulane, & Baylor. All are similar to Mercer and none of them, with the exception of Wake, dominate their conference.

The ASUN is a horrible conference & many of the teams could, and should do better. I'm sure this is a crazy rumor, but Mercer does need to try to get out, they have too much Money and too good a reputation to stay in this joke of a conference.
09-04-2008 02:15 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

KennesawBasketball Wrote:Don't insert logic into the equation silence....!!! I for one think the ASun has a ton of potential. We will start to see the conference grow very soon. Kennesaw, Jacksonville, ETSU, Belmont, Mercer, FGCU all have excellent potential as mid major basketball schools. Once one of them makes the step up, the rest will be scrambling to catch up and it will be great for the whole conference. Lets face it, basketball is the key to this conference getting any recognition. Our baseball teams are already very competitive with anyone in Division I. Once we can get our basketball teams on that same level then we will have something.

I don't disagree with everything you have said, I just think we have different perspectives. Mercer has been in the ASUN since the conference began & Kennesaw just stepped up. Kennesaw has great potential and Mercer should have moved on years ago...

Just my opinion.
09-04-2008 02:17 PM
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
You have the right perspective CWG. Out of all Atlantic Sun teams, Mercer is arguably pushing forward the most. Our new President is really pushing the envelope as fast as possible. He's already overhauled the Men's & Women's basketball programs in his first two years on the job. Plus he's well known to want football, which is great. His desire to improve our athletics, plus the action that's already in place has been fantastic.

p.s. -- Not to mention the campus keeps improving dramatically. It was top notch when I was there a few years ago. Now the outer wall is finished in all brick. A beautiful sign at the main entrances. Plus the Hilton hotel on the edge of campus.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2008 02:57 PM by MercerFan.)
09-04-2008 02:55 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Who is this Mercer president?

And what are your thoughts of cloning him for ETSU?
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2008 06:53 PM by PittsburghBucs.)
09-04-2008 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

PittsburghBucs Wrote:Who is this Mercer president?

And what our your thoughts of cloning him for ETSU?

Not the most skilled interviewer, but I believe President Underwood does a great job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8HX0yQ1B4
09-04-2008 04:00 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

09-04-2008 04:27 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
CWG Wrote:http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreview...uth-search

Yeah, fine, we'll take Stetson. 03-wink
09-05-2008 07:13 PM
Advertisement

CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

CitrusUCF Wrote:

Actually, academically speaking, Mercer and Stetson are better than most schools in C-USA (including UCF). Mercer has a much better law school than anyone in C-USA, except SMU (Mercer & Stetson’s law schools are tied—both are top tier).
09-06-2008 11:00 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

CWG Wrote:
CitrusUCF Wrote:

Actually, academically speaking, Mercer and Stetson are better than most schools in C-USA (including UCF). Mercer has a much better law school than anyone in C-USA, except SMU (Mercer & Stetson’s law schools are tied—both are top tier).

Ok, let's take this from the top.

First, there is little point in comparing liberal arts/master's universities to doctoral institutions. The scale is completely different. For instance, UCF finished #8 in the country this year in patents. That's pretty impressive, but it doesn't mean Stetson is a lesser school. The schools have totally different purposes. But just like UCF's research funding is much higher than Stetson or Mercer's, I imagine Stetson has a much better student-faculty ratio.

And just to give you an idea of the caliber of student:

UCF entering class - http://www.admissions.ucf.edu/about.asp?...=freshprof
Avg. SAT - 1218
Avg. GPA - 3.76
Acceptance Rate - 38%
National Merit Scholars - 63

Mercer entering class - http://www.gomercer.com/mercer-411/fresh...ofile.aspx
Avg. SAT - ~1160 (provided 25/75 range)
Avg. GPA - 3.61
Acceptance Rate - 45%
National Merit Scholars - 0

Stetson entering class -
Avg. SAT - ~1135 (provided 25/75 range)
Avg. GPA - 3.7 GPA
Acceptance Rate - 64%
National Merit Scholars - 2

National Merit - http://www.nationalmerit.org/07_annual_report.pdf

Now, to the law schools.

Mercer & Stetson - #100, on the cusp of Tier 3. Stetson just recently moved up from Tier 3. Stetson is noted for its practical skills training and Mercer for its legal writing program. Both are strong schools and during my search, I rated Stetson above Miami, but below FSU and UF.

Campbell - 4th Tier

CUSA has -

Tulane - #44 (a school whose reputation far exceeds the US News rankings. Tulane places a significant number - and occasionally a majority of graduates - in NYC and other major east coast markets.)
SMU - #46
Houston - #55
Memphis & Tulsa - 4th Tier. I don't know anything about Memphis' law school, but I find Tulsa's ranking to be completely bunk. I applied to Tulsa as a fallback school (free online app) and did extensive research into the school after they offered me a ton of money. It has a very strong practical skills program that I considered as good or better than Stetson's and Samford's.

But let's look at medical schools -

A-Sun has Mercer (3rd Tier) and ETSU (3rd Tier).
CUSA has UAB (#27), Tulane (#55), ECU (3rd Tier, #17 primary care) + UCF's new medical school.

I will gush with pride and say because the Orlando community and UCF alumni stepped up, UCF is offering every entering student in the first class a full scholarship for all 4 years. Efforts are underway to fund enough a number of these in perpetuity. And this has resulted in UCF having more applications than any other school and because of the small class-size we intend for the research intensive school, this year at least we will have the lowest acceptance rate in the country. Will that endure? No, but it sure an excellent way to start!

UAB has the most research funding of any medical school in the SE. It is a top tier school without any doubt.

At any rate, this is a pretty pointless argument. CUSA has a Top 20 doctoral institution in Rice, plus two other Tier 1 schools (SMU & Tulsa), plus several Tier 3 doctorals. UCF has been steadily moving up the rankings, and our medical school should help us make that push into the Top 120.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2008 03:14 PM by CitrusUCF.)
09-18-2008 03:10 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

Wow.
09-18-2008 04:04 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

CWG Wrote:Wow.

The thing that got you in trouble was the law school comment, because Tulane was in my final 3. :)
09-18-2008 08:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.