Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
10 games to decide the fate of the ACC
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
Compliments of OrangeEyes from the SU Scout Boaard.

It is interesting to me that some media folks are measuring the Acc's success against the BE.
03-lmfao

August 15, 2008
When was the last time an ACC team won a significant out-of-conference game? That's a really tough question to answer, even for the most dedicated ACC football fans.

The most recent "significant" OOC win turned out not to be all that significant, as Maryland defeated a Rutgers team that -- although ranked in the top ten at the time -- went on to finish the season in fifth place in the Big East.

Suffice to say, it's been a while.

The ACC, which boasts a 1-9 BCS bowl game record in the last ten years, needs to step it up in 2008.

Here are 10 games that will determine if the ACC has returned to the national stage:

1) Florida State vs Florida
For better or for worse, the Seminoles have been the gold standard for the conference. When the Noles are good, the ACC seems to get a fair shake on the national stage. When the Noles are bad, well... the last few years of "ACC in decline" talk should prove my point. This is FSU's best team in four years and -- despite the preseason hype -- the Gators may be ripe for the picking in 2008.

2) USC @ Virginia
No one in the country expects UVa to win, so let's not even go down that road, but it's important for the ACC that the Cavs don't get blown out at home. The ACC matched up pretty well against USC when represented by VaTech, so the Cavs need to do their part and make a game of it.

3) Cal @ Maryland
Cal may very well be a top three team in the Pac10 this season, while the Terps are likely middle of the pack in the ACC, but Maryland gets the Bears at home and needs to show up. The Terps looked bad against Oregon State in their bowl game... so a strong showing this season would help raise the ACC.

4) Va Tech @ Nebraska
A young Hokie team ventures into the sea of red... and ought to be able to pull off a win. Virginia Tech may be favored on the road against an improved Husker team. This would be a solid win for the ACC.

5) Clemson vs Alabama
There's a lot of hype around the 2008 Tigers and the opener on a national stage will be a significant opportunity for the ACC to man up against a middle of the pack SEC opponent. There's no way that the ACC can be taken seriously if the consensus pre-season pick can't knock off Bama.

6) UNC @ Rutgers
North Carolina needs to show it can win on the road, and this OOC matchup should be ripe for Butch Davis and the Tarheels. UNC has been tabbed as a sleeper pick in the ACC and absolutely needs to show up for the Scarlet Knights. This is the type of middle vs middle game that helps define the how the conference stack up at the end of the year.

7) South Carolina @ Clemson
Again, the pre-season pick can't go down to a middle of the pack SEC team, even if it is a rivalry game. Some people think the Tigers could be 11-0 at this point. Regardless, Clemson needs to seal the deal and knock off the Cocks before the ACC can even look for respect.

8) NC State @ South Carolina
Speaking of knocking off the Cocks, NC State will get their shot on the road. Another example of a middle versus middle game. The Pack need to swing this one into the ACC's favor.

9) UConn @ UNC
The defending Big East co-champ gave Wake Forest all it could handle in the bowl game, so UNC will have to be very careful not to look past UConn's lesser reputation. Every game against the Big East is a must win for the ACC to return to credibility and this is no exception. 03-lmfao

10) James Madison @ Duke
Let's be honest, I don't expect a whole lot out of Duke this year and neither do you. But the Blue Devils might be able to take new coach David Cutcliffe's system and score a season-opening win. Then again, the Dukes aren't just any FCS team - they're the pick to win the FCS championship. This is going to be a challenging game for the Blue Devils, but its a game that the ACC really needs to win. This is Duke's chance to do its part for the conference.

So there are 10 OOC games that can shape the season and the perception for the ACC. Of course, the conference could rattle off all ten and still manage to blow it in the postseason bowls, but....

What do you think? Where is the ACC going to rank this season? Can the ACC get back into the upper crust or is it another year of being the sixth best football conference?

Posted by Kevin Donahue
08-16-2008 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: 10 games to decide the fate of the ACC
This is sweet justice.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2008 07:44 AM by CatsClaw.)
08-16-2008 07:41 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The VT-Nebraska and Clemson-Alabama games are going to be tough games that could go either way. I'm betting the ACC comes up short.

The Clemson-South Carolina game ought to be a lock for the ACC. But I think they'll lose the rest - unless VT beats Nebraska. Alabama is going to bring Clemson's hopes down some.
08-16-2008 11:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Alabama beats Clemson. To me they are the best team in the SEC i'm sure people will call me an idiot but thats my opinion.

Nebreska takes out VT in a close defensive battle. VT is too young to go into that atmosphere.

I wouldn't be surprised if Duke loses to James Madision but Duke will pull it out.

The most intriging game in my opinion is the Rutgers - North Carolina game. I think Butch Davis pulls it out.

I say the ACC goes 3-7, 4-6 at best.
08-16-2008 11:46 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
What about UNC~Notre Dame? That's a big one in my opinion.
08-16-2008 12:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

esayem Wrote:What about UNC~Notre Dame? That's a big one in my opinion.
I hope they both lose... 05-mafia
08-16-2008 12:37 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
bitcruncher Wrote:
esayem Wrote:What about UNC~Notre Dame? That's a big one in my opinion.
I hope they both lose... 05-mafia
03-lmfao

Who do you hope loses, UNC or ND? Its hard to choose which one is the lessor of 2 evils.03-lmfao
08-16-2008 02:12 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
ND...no brainer. UNC is not hated on the gridiron. Hoops, yes, football....naw.

Notre Dame on the football field however....
08-16-2008 02:14 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Bearcats#1 Wrote:ND...no brainer. UNC is not hated on the gridiron. Hoops, yes, football....naw.

Notre Dame on the football field however....

Great call, the only thing I kind of resent Notre Dame in is football. Everything else they're fine with me.
08-16-2008 03:14 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I say North Carolina beats Notre Dame. I like what Butch Davis is building down there. Very similar to how Wannstedt is building Pitt.
08-16-2008 03:18 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I still say let 'em both lose. Have the winner disqualified for some reason, if that suits your fancy. But let 'em both lose somehow.
08-16-2008 03:19 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
I doubt very seriously the these 10 games will decide the FATE of the ACC.
Some of you guys spend way too much time keeping up with the ACC.
08-16-2008 10:00 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
Toungue RE: 10 games to decide the fate of the ACC
XLance Wrote:I doubt very seriously the these 10 games will decide the FATE of the ACC.

Everybody need a good chuckle now and again...
08-17-2008 12:32 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
XLance Wrote:I doubt very seriously the these 10 games will decide the FATE of the ACC.

We are just having a good time at the expense of the acc. 02-13-banana Similar to the way that you guys had in 2003/2004 when you thought the BE was a sinking ship. And we run accross these articles because they are all over the place. No one is spending time looking for these articles. They are a plenty, which adds to the fun. 03-cloud9
08-17-2008 03:18 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
cuseroc Wrote:Compliments of OrangeEyes from the SU Scout Board.

It is interesting to me that some media folks are measuring the Acc's success against the BE.
:MFA:

03-nutkick What it says is just a big of a kick in the balls for Big East football as it is for ACC football! Dude, it means the media thinks the Big East and the ACC are fighting it out for the dubious honor of being the worst BCS conference! 03-phew
08-17-2008 12:00 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Add the Big 12 to that race. We beat 'em once, and the Bearcats have a chance to show that another team in The BEast can shut down the Sooner attack. If UC's offense clicks, they'll win.

Let 'em eat that stew and choke on it... 05-mafia
08-17-2008 12:14 PM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Hey, Bit, if we loose the basketball schools and go to 10 or 12 all-sports schools, I think with in three to five years that the new conference would be considered the second best BCS conference behind the SEC!04-cheers
08-17-2008 12:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

It is already, in my opinion... 04-rock
08-17-2008 12:25 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
well guys...ECU hopes to do its part and kick the crap out of UVA, Moo. U, and Va. Tech this year.
08-17-2008 01:54 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

UVa is a possible. I'm not sure about the other 2 games. But it'd sure be nice to see ECU win all 3... 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2008 04:27 PM by bitcruncher.)
08-17-2008 04:26 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.