Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CHN's top 144 list: Belmont 105
Bookmark and Share
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
CHN's top 144 list: Belmont 105
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/200809-be...-105-59057

Superior coaching will always lead Belmont--great depth this year too--but I still maintain that BU will not repeat this year without Hare. Hare was one of the smartest and toughest players in the country.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2008 12:12 PM by Bucfaithful.)
08-13-2008 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BluBare Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Belmont
RE: CHN's top 144 list: Belmont 105
Bucfaithful Wrote:http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/200809-be...-105-59057

Superior coaching will always lead Belmont--great depth this year too--but I still maintain that BU will not repeat this year without Hare. Hare was one of the smartest and toughest players in the country.

Agreed, clearly Hare will be a big loss, however you also point out the remaining depth. You may be correct as it pertains to the regular season, however, I believe our depth has been one of the keys to our recent tournament success allowing the team to still "have their legs" on Saturday to play tough defense and shoot well from outside.

Keep an eye on Jordan Campbell as I believe he will have a significant impact this year replacing the toughness and smarts lost by Hare. I also am curious as to who will provide the on court leadership, likely Wicke. If not, that could be cause for concern.

There is a freshman guard Drew Hanlen who will take that over next year, but as a freshman on an upper class laden team would have difficulty providing that leadership this year.

Belmont also appears to have added a big man for next year Scott Saunders 6-10 250lbs. transferred from Rice will sit out this year and have 3 years left. Belmont recruited him hard out of BGA in Nashville a couple of years ago.

Why can't basketball start in Sept?
08-13-2008 01:53 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
:puke:Belmont

And basketball cant start in September because thats when football is played, and both of our schools are too shortsighted to play it.
08-13-2008 07:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
Belmont will rise and fall with Dansby in my opinion. If he is able to consistently score the big baskets (ala Hare) then they have a great chance of repeating. If he can't I think they will finish in the top 4, but won't win the regular season or the tournament.
08-13-2008 09:02 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mercer
Bucfaithful Wrote:http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/200809-be...-105-59057

In my opinion, Belmont is WAY OVERRATED! Mercer is going to win the conference this year anyway so none of this B.S. matters...
08-14-2008 07:42 AM
1st String

I think you have a chance CWG. You have a top level PG, a top level FC, and a top level SF. The talent is there for you to win it, but the question is can your new coach put it together in his first year.
08-14-2008 08:20 AM
Advertisement

CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

KennesawBasketball Wrote:I think you have a chance CWG. You have a top level PG, a top level FC, and a top level SF. The talent is there for you to win it, but the question is can your new coach put it together in his first year.

I think he can; seems very smart. He is also in the top 25 among active winningest college coaches.

As for Belmont, I get sick of everyone acting like they are the next Davidson, they are not! They had a decent year last year, but that will probably be the best one for a while.

Personally I'm worried more about the large public schools (ETSU, Kennesaw) than I am about Belmont. I may eat these words, but I expect Mercer to dominate Belmont this year...
08-14-2008 08:54 AM
1st String

In the longrun I feel similarly about Belmont. I think they are a great program, but I feel like they have a lower ceiling than a school like Kennesaw, ETSU, or Mercer. But right now they are definitely a better program than Kennesaw or Mercer...it will be fun to see who can catch up, and then once we catch them who can sustain it. Kennesaw will be improved this year in my opinion, but it won't be until we are NCAA eligible that we will start to really make noise at the top of the standings.
08-14-2008 10:28 AM
HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
Belmont is 12-3 all-time against Mercer, has beaten them 9 straight times and Mercer has never won at Curb. Just sayin'.

Mercer will go as far as Florence (and Emerson, perhaps) can take them but Shaddean Aaron and Brian Pfohl were big losses off that roster. Hoffman will definitely make that program better but there's gonna be a little lag time involved.
08-14-2008 10:40 AM
1st String

My prediction for Mercer....they will have a big first year with the new coach, then disappoint in the 09-10 season. I think Mercer will play ETSU for the right to be in the NCAA tourney.
08-14-2008 10:53 AM
hoosbruin Offline
Bench Warmer

CWG,
I don't know where you are coming with this Mercer thing but they are picking us to win because of how we ended last years season. We almost took down Duke without Dansby or Hare playing well. With that being said Jon Rice is going to be a huge three point threat for us. Hare and Renfroe (when in together) will hands down be the fastest backcourt in the conference. Dotson and Dansby will be big for us this year too. We got a great freshman class, so we have some depth. You all have to realize that the five that were out on the floor, that played well against Duke most (with the exception of Will Peeples) are coming back.
08-14-2008 01:21 PM
Advertisement

CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

hoosbruin Wrote:CWG,
I don't know where you are coming with this Mercer thing but they are picking us to win because of how we ended last years season. We almost took down Duke without Dansby or Hare playing well. With that being said Jon Rice is going to be a huge three point threat for us. Hare and Renfroe (when in together) will hands down be the fastest backcourt in the conference. Dotson and Dansby will be big for us this year too. We got a great freshman class, so we have some depth. You all have to realize that the five that were out on the floor, that played well against Duke most (with the exception of Will Peeples) are coming back.

I guess we'll see about it...

I still think Belmont is WAY OVERRATED! This year is a new season & remember Belmont lost to Duke--doesn't matter by how few points they still lost.
08-14-2008 02:06 PM
1st String

hoosbruin Wrote:CWG,

You don't have Hare, so you can't say that you have the fastest backcourt in the conference when one of the players you mention isn't even on your team anymore. Plus there are a lot of teams that will be able to challenge you on Renfroe + backcourt mate's level of speed.

Belmont is good, and deserves to be picked first though...they have proven it for 2 years that they have what it takes to win the conference and compete in the NCAA tournament.
08-14-2008 03:01 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
WHAT?

BELMONT was never actually known for their speed
08-14-2008 03:04 PM
Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
hoosbruin Wrote:Hare and Renfroe (when in together) will hands down be the fastest backcourt in the conference.

FAIL. You just lost all credibility for mentioning a player who is no longer with your team.
08-14-2008 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest he was typing too fast and meant to say Wicke instead of Hare.
08-14-2008 03:49 PM
Advertisement

CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

Is being ranked 105 really that great of an honor? Personally, I think this is discraceful for both the conference and all the member schools. 105? That means they are the 105th best team in the country? News Flash: only 64 make the tournament.

105? Fing dispickable!
08-14-2008 05:03 PM
hoosbruin Offline
Bench Warmer

Yeah my bad on that post I meant Henry Harris and for sure having those two guys will make it one of the fastest backcourts in the conference.
08-14-2008 05:19 PM
hoosbruin Offline
Bench Warmer

Well 105 aint bad considering we are the 26th strongest conference. And you are right 64 go but not all the teams under 105 can get an automatic bid....so if Belmont is 105....Mercer must be...oh thats right not even mentioned. I dont want this to get ugly but dont take shots at something that is an accomplishment for not just us but the A-SUN as well
08-14-2008 05:25 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

hoosbruin Wrote:Well 105 aint bad considering we are the 26th strongest conference. And you are right 64 go but not all the teams under 105 can get an automatic bid....so if Belmont is 105....Mercer must be...oh thats right not even mentioned. I dont want this to get ugly but dont take shots at something that is an accomplishment for not just us but the A-SUN as well

This is not an accomplishment: Top 50 maybe, but 105! It is a joke that anyone is even proud of this.

I am embarrassed for Mercer. I am embarrassed for the A-Sun (even though no one from the conference seems to care).

When the so called "best team" in a conference is ranked 105 it has already gotten "ugly," that is just pitiful. What a joke of a conference. What an embarrassment not only to Belmont, but all of the A-Sun schools.

On the bright side, there is no where to go but up...
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2008 05:35 PM by CWG.)
08-14-2008 05:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.