Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Temple's 2008 recruiting class
Bookmark and Share
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Temple's 2008 recruiting class
Temple signed 26 players in the spring -8- did NOT make it fall camp due to academics. Here is goal for Golden...win more games than losing players to academics. I just can not stand actively recruiting guys who can not make it academically. I understand taking chances on a couple of guys 2-4 and one makes it and you lose 2-3, but losing -8- is way over the top. The problem is not just losing -8- its the 16 who made it that become the question, how close are they to not making it academically. I assume Temple is not like Ohio State making up classes so players remain eligible so the 16 will have tougher go at make the grade.

Last year Temple lost 6-8 players as well, this does NOT seem like the way to build a program for the long term and maybe Golden is just there for the short term and get out of dodge. If I was AD or President he would definitely be pulled in to the office and have to explain what is happening.

BTW, Temple fans I am NOT a basher... IMO, Temple football will have their best record in years and will be BOWL ELIGIBLE and will probably get the call in December. I know you have had terrible teams and Golden came in to a BRUTAL rebuild and is showing some success, but there are plenty of players in Philly & No Jersey that can play and read & write.
08-05-2008 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Karl Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
RE: Temple's 2008 recruiting class
Anyone besides me see this turning to a big steaming pile within 3 replies?
08-05-2008 11:44 AM
tchaump Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
Contemplating whether its even worth chiming in on this..."steaming pile within 3 replies" unfortunately looks to be the likely result.
08-05-2008 12:10 PM
dolphan412 Offline
Water Engineer

It became a steaming pile as soon as NIU acted like he knew what he was talking about. Do you have a clue as to the facts and circumstances? Didn't think so. 03-banghead Keep hating.
08-05-2008 12:21 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
01-scout
08-05-2008 01:03 PM
NickSkin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
NIU05, you are correct, Temple has 8 players that are not on the fall camp roster. I could not find Tony Cornelius, Alex Jackson, Maurice Jones, Ryan Murray, Shahid Paulhill, Geoffrey Prather, Josh Williams, Malcolm Williams. Further, in 2007 Temple signed 30 players and looking at Temple's current roster, I do not see 9 of those 30 players: Corwin Acker, Jemarr Anderson, Kit Anderson, Lloyd Dodada, Jeffrey Howie, Moses Parker, Daryl Robinson, Tyreek Spain and Richie Walls. That is a total of 56 players signed and 17 (or 30%) not on the current roster after 1 season.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2008 01:07 PM by NickSkin.)
08-05-2008 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
Is Golden looking for a quick fix and a better deal in the Brian Kelly tradition or is this just the route you have to go when building a program up from the ashes?
08-05-2008 01:13 PM
victory engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: ']['emple
03-yawn
08-05-2008 01:32 PM
dolphan412 Offline
Water Engineer

NickSkin Wrote:NIU05, you are correct, Temple has 8 players that are not on the fall camp roster. I could not find Tony Cornelius, Alex Jackson, Maurice Jones, Ryan Murray, Shahid Paulhill, Geoffrey Prather, Josh Williams, Malcolm Williams. Further, in 2007 Temple signed 30 players and looking at Temple's current roster, I do not see 9 of those 30 players: Corwin Acker, Jemarr Anderson, Kit Anderson, Lloyd Dodada, Jeffrey Howie, Moses Parker, Daryl Robinson, Tyreek Spain and Richie Walls. That is a total of 56 players signed and 17 (or 30%) not on the current roster after 1 season.
Nick, what makes you think those are academic-related? Just as an example, Robinson transferred to another school, just in the past week or two. It had absolutely nothing to do with academics. Just because someone is not on the roster, it doesn't mean the reason is academics. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good Temple bashing. Apparently the facts aren't welcome here. 03-shhhh
08-05-2008 01:49 PM
NickSkin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
dolphan, I'm not bashing Temple. Never have. I'm not letting the "facts" get in the way. In fact, I'm just stating the facts.

I never intimated that the absence of the players on the Temple roster was related to academics. Please re-read my post. I noted that certain players recruited in 2007 and 2008 are not on the current roster. I have no idea why those players are not on the roster. The claim that "academics" is the reason was made by NIU05.

I understand that players quit football, transfer, have medical issues and also do not make it academically. My post merely indicates that 30% of Temple's recruits over the past two classes are not currently on the roster. Are these facts incorrect?

You need to address your academic issues with NIU05.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2008 02:12 PM by NickSkin.)
08-05-2008 02:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
dolphan412 Offline
Water Engineer

Understood, Nick. My apologies. I took the part where you said "NIU05, you are correct" as you confirming what he/she said.
08-05-2008 02:25 PM
Advertisement

Excellent Lucas Offline
Banned

I Root For: Love & Happines
Temple haters, please understand the recruiting process before you make ludicrous posts. Temple is confined to the number of scholarships they can offer just like everyone else. Because our roster was left so depleted by the previous regime, they could provide the maximum number of schollies the last 3 years, thats 25. Temple can extend as many offers as they wish, hundreds if they find hundreds willing to commit to Temple for those 25 spots. We may have been relegated to offering a few less because of the APR stuff going on but Al Golden is not taking ridiclous risks with qualifiers. In fact, several non Temple quals are ending up at MAC schools. Im not going to name names but you can find them on Akron and Buffalos roster right now.

The poster who rattled off invitees from 2007 has no idea what he is talking about. Some were gone before camp started, others quit in camp. It had nothing to do with academics, they quit because playing for Temple is too hard. Lloyd Codada and Daryl Robinson made the team.

Wow, how hard is it for people to understand Temple is operating under the same rules as everyone else?
08-05-2008 02:35 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
Excellent Lucas Wrote:In fact, several non Temple quals are ending up at MAC schools. Im not going to name names but you can find them on Akron and Buffalos roster right now.

Thank You Chuck Amato.
08-05-2008 03:08 PM
tchaump Offline
Bench Warmer

I'd like to officially commend Polish Hammer for not commenting in this thread - he and I have debated this topic waaaaay too many times. Anyone who is still willing to discuss it (from either side of the debate) is a sadist.
08-05-2008 03:29 PM
JVWOwls86 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
tchaump Wrote:I'd like to officially commend Polish Hammer for not commenting in this thread - he and I have debated this topic waaaaay too many times. Anyone who is still willing to discuss it (from either side of the debate) is a sadist.

LOL
Maybe Hammer is on vacation this week?!! I say he'll throw his 2 cents in eventually.
08-05-2008 03:53 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I see nothing wrong with Temple committing to kids who are trying to get thier grades in order over the summer & going to prep school if they don't make it.
However 30% is high, I'm sure that there are some that are out of Temple controll & that brings the numbers down to 20%.
College FB in some respects is ugly bussiness & rebuilding programs proablly take risks on kids.
Temple is still within the rules & there are other programs that play the same game or worse.
08-05-2008 04:02 PM
Advertisement

tchaump Offline
Bench Warmer

JVWOwls86 Wrote:
tchaump Wrote:I'd like to officially commend Polish Hammer for not commenting in this thread - he and I have debated this topic waaaaay too many times. Anyone who is still willing to discuss it (from either side of the debate) is a sadist.

LOL
Maybe Hammer is on vacation this week?!! I say he'll throw his 2 cents in eventually.

Likely - I just checked his profile, his last site visit was yesterday at 9:55 PM. Oh well - I think he and I have agreed to disagree on this topic. I've quit my sadistic ways. And yes, some of us Temple fans do have a sense of humor...
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2008 04:06 PM by tchaump.)
08-05-2008 04:04 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
templefootballfan Wrote:I see nothing wrong with Temple committing to kids who are trying to get thier grades in order over the summer & going to prep school if they don't make it.
However 30% is high, I'm sure that there are some that are out of Temple controll & that brings the numbers down to 20%.
College FB in some respects is ugly bussiness & rebuilding programs proablly take risks on kids.
Temple is still within the rules & there are other programs that play the same game or worse.

...I don't see that as a problem either except when it is an unusually LARGE number. I can understand taking shots on 2-4 guys, but missing on -8- with -2- more waiting to be cleared is EXCESSIVE. The Temple Scout link provided the information

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=186&f=3506&t=2677308

.... I nor anyone said Temple was violating any rules, would be shocked to learn otherwise. I nor anyone else is bashing Temple, just Goldens tactics.

To the Philly crybabies who allude to being bash, did you red the entire post? I stated Temple should have their best record in years (thats good), will be bowl eligible (thats good) and will probably get a call in December (thats good). NOT One Temple fan made a positive comment regarding those POSITIVE predictions and not one MAC fan said it was a crazy prediction.

The fact of the matter is Goldens name was mentioned for the UCLA job last year and if he goes to a bowl this year he will become a hot property. If he has not built that program with a solid base it could come crumbling down fast when he leaves, thats the problem.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2008 06:39 PM by NIU05.)
08-05-2008 04:59 PM
Crebman Online
Heisman

I Root For:
IMO, Temple at the time Golden took over was probably in worse shape than maybe any D-1 program. Maybe the only way to rise from the ashes with any speed at all is to take some chances. I would think that as the program stabilizes, the number of "at risk" signees would shrink to the 2 - 4 range that some others have listed as "acceptable".

I highly doubt any coach likes signing a kid, only to have him not materialize on the field. Sometimes a troubled program has to take some gambles & Temple was a troubled program when Golden came on board. It will be interesting to see how the recruiting shakes out in another couple of years.
08-05-2008 05:37 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Karl Wrote:Anyone besides me see this turning to a big steaming pile within 3 replies?

Why because somebody speaks the truth and some people are in denial and we can't offend their yet arrogant for no reason egos? Golden will be there 12 years and we'll still be hearing excuses about the previous regime and how he needs to fill the roster all the while signing 30 or so kids every year and somehow hoping 20 make it through camp and they stay under 85 total. The original post raised some valid issues and was not out talk smack unlike the unnecessary and uncalled for digs at Akron and Buffalo, but those fans don't get pampered and protected around here.
08-05-2008 05:45 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.